Patka/dastaar

Guest soon to be kaur

Guest soon to be kaur

vjkk vjkf!

sangat jeeo, im taking amrit soon and i am seriously thinking of the dastaar. But i was going to start with the patka for many reasons. A dastaar carries many responsibilites as in you are now respresenting so you have to be perfect ..kinda. i think i should wait for it maybe a couple of months. but now i was think of the patka becuase it accomplishes keeping your head covered and it would be less of a shock for my family memebers and stuff. My dad is also against dastaar in a way so i thought a patka would like cool him down at first and then slpwly. so my question here is is it okay to wear a patka? any advice ?

i started keepin my kes around december last year. First i wore a bandana i guess thats a patka basically. It enabled me to get used to walkin around in public with my head covered (was very daunting first time, but also felt really special :wub:

and it took me a while to learn to tie a turban, gurdwara wasnt very helpful, but got a good video from the internet so learnt from that. and for the past 2monthsish whenever i leave my house i wear a turban over my patka, keeps my hair tucked in cos its not long enough for it all to be tied yet, just tie the hair at the back into a pony tail. at home i still jus wear the patka.

its up 2 u though penji, do what you feel is right

wjkk wjkf

Guest Guest

Well bhenji, I tied a rumal as well when I first took Amrit. I still think the Dastar is on a totally different realm, it just feels like a different world when you begin tying it. I think it's because you finally feel like you are part of Guru Ji's army... I might have felt 15% of that when I wore a rumaal or patka but I felt the full 100% when I tied my dastar and realized that the Khalsa is the Guru's roop and it totally just shot up my jeevan.

Nonetheless, I can also agree with starting out with a rumal or patka because it can be hard at first getting used to the whole idea of covering your head and dressing that way everytime you go out, etc. Maybe try it for a bit but try to wear a dastar at home and see how it feels ! You might just love it. I know countless girls who wear it whose families or dads don't like it, but they'll have to suck it up and let us live our lives. We're not wearing a mini skirt after all, we're wearing a crown that we rightfully deserve to wear as Daughters of the King of the Universe.

Guest Guest

When entering your Amrit Sanchar, and all the time after you take Amrit, your Jurra must be on the top of your head at the Dasam Duar, not at the back like a Bandana/Patka. So a Dastar is a must after Amrit, Patka simply just isn't acceptable!

When entering your Amrit Sanchar, and all the time after you take Amrit, your Jurra must be on the top of your head at the Dasam Duar, not at the back like a Bandana/Patka. So a Dastar is a must after Amrit, Patka simply just isn't acceptable!

hearye.gif

hearye.gif

Fateh.

are you guys kidding me?? who judges what is acceptable or not....you could wear a dastaar and act completely inappropriately. Theres a few Singhnia i know that have worn the Dastaar but several years down the line have taken it off...comments like this which state that patka is unacceptable arent helpful at all.

I dont mean to offend, just my opinion.

fateh

i think what veer ji is trying to say is that once you have decided to take amrit, that the decision should also coincide with the decision to wear a dastaar as guru ji has told us! we are not judging anyone but if you do decide to take amrit surely you would have thought about the age old patka vs dastaar question. also id like to stress malkit singhs point about gurdwara needing to step up there game, dastaar tying classes whatnot!

bhul chuk maf peepz! :wub:

edit(by me): its not unacceptable as veer ji said above, because its everyones choice but on another point as super_singhni said above people have taken it off in the past, it does nothing to dwell on peoples past mistakes we should look forward and encourage people to go towards gurus word, dwelling on scenarios where people have messed up is not a correct reason to tell people to nt do the gurus bidding!

hearye.gif

actaully i have ssen amrit sanchaars where bibia wear pataks and also dastaar, so i think u dnt know what you talking about. however i do agree that biba should wear dastaar but thats there own personal option and cannot be forced. read my signature and you will understand the basic rehit

Guest Guest
fateh

i think what veer ji is trying to say is that once you have decided to take amrit, that the decision should also coincide with the decision to wear a dastaar as guru ji has told us! we are not judging anyone but if you do decide to take amrit surely you would have thought about the age old patka vs dastaar question. also id like to stress malkit singhs point about gurdwara needing to step up there game, dastaar tying classes whatnot!

edit(by me): its not unacceptable as veer ji said above, because its everyones choice but on another point as super_singhni said above people have taken it off in the past, it does nothing to dwell on peoples past mistakes we should look forward and encourage people to go towards gurus word, dwelling on scenarios where people have messed up is not a correct reason to tell people to nt do the gurus bidding!

kullykhalsa, im not meaning to offend anyone...but as you say that we shouldnt look towards peoples past, does that mean we shouldnt look at past successes either? we learn from our past, dont you agree?

fateh

Kullykhalsa, you say that we shouldnt look at the past, so does that mean we shouldnt look at past successes either?

the past is very important, to a certain extent just as everything is....from the past we learn.