The history of Nagar Kirtan

Akaali

Source: http://www.tapoban.org

It seems that the tradition of Nagar Kirtan was started by Baba Buddha jee, when Siri Guru Hargobind Sahib jee stayed imprisoned in the jail of Jahangir (Gawalior Jail) for a period of 40 days. Baba jee along with the sangat could not bear separation from Siri Guru jee. Baba jee led the sangat to Gawalior and they used to do Nagar Kirtan around the jail, out of love for Siri Guru jee.

It is said that Siri Guru jee was extremely pleased with Baba jee for starting this tradition of doing kirtan of baani (jotiyaan waalay shabad) and expressing pyaar for Guru jee. From that day, Sikhs started celebrating the Gurpurabs of Guru Sahibaan doing nagar kirtan.

Sikhs found out long time ago that nagar kirtan were a great mean of bringing unity in Panth and in doing parchaar.

In the recent history, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee used to go village to village, with vaaja around his neck, doing kirtan. This kind of kirtan journeys did massive parchaar.

It is said that Baba Attar Singh jee Mastuanaywaaly promoted nagar kirtan on a large scale. He organized some of the largest nagar kirtan programs.

Sant Kartar Singh Bhindranwaalay did some of the most memorable nagar kirtan programs in Punjab, in the 1970s. At one time, he organized a nagar kirtan in Batala town of Gurdaspur. The Police in-charge of that area was a very anti-Sikh person. He tried to stop the nagar kirtan. Sant jee reprimanded him heavily and told him that he should not try to stop the nagar kirtan, rather he should welcome the nagar kirtan to the city with folded hands. Batala is known for extremist Hindu elements a

nd is a stronghold of the Hindus. Even during the height of militant days, the Chakri Bazaar of Batala was inaccessible to the Singhs.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

^_^

thanks for sharing the history behind Nagar Kirtan.

May i ask a question jee

Batala is as written a kasba/town in Gurdaspur district....some of my family members are from there...this is also a part of Majha....i have been to the chakri area my self....been in batala lots...

it is strange because in Batala, Guru Nanak Sahib jees wedding was there...and if i am not wrong The Gurdwara Kand Sahib (kand = the wall where Guru Sahib sat before the wedding?) is to this there....been there....is locating in the bazaar next to Chakri Bazaar going from the high way. also other gurdwara called 'Dera Sahib' is located there jee

Batala has a Guru Nanak Nagar, and a Guru Nanak School there

EVERY YEAR there is a huge Nagar Kirtan there....and i just have to mention this because i saw this my self

Nihang Singh Jatha...Tarna Dal has it's HQs around the area somewhere there...they are always present at the Gurpurab there.

but also Batala has a hindu/non-sikh population..there is this Baring Christian college there....and maybe you are not aware of this fact....but there is a 'Christian institute of Sikh studies' located at the college...and the famous writer McLeod who has written lots about Sikh history was a priest there jee!!!

some sikh scholars say that this institute way established as a missionary area by Christians.....secondly all the research done by "anti-sikh" school has somehow it's background from this place.... http://www.dilgeer.com/famous.htm

and true that hindu politicians have a strong hold in this area....

BUT the point made here about Sikhs not allowed in Chakri...i am unaware of jee...i am not sure about that...since i my self been to Chakri...to Gurdwareh there and all...maybe it was so in the 70s/80s...

My grandparents town is batala (small pind "Gazzu Ghazzi") .. batala used to be the hub of all sikh activities agez ago.. Mah Sher singh headquarter was in batala (eldest son of ranjit singh) since it's close to amritsar, it's pure kharkoo area ;)

khota mcleod used to teach in the same where my dad went to study in batala (he saw/met him couple of times )..

Regarding Nagar keertan or Samagams (i think they are same?).. It's just awesome.. IT's like a reunion of gursikh sangat with waheguru or something like that.. It's amazing.. u can feell.. ahhh im @ good place and it's worth it..

• 4 weeks later...