Udham Singh And Bhagat Singh

Guest -Clockmaker97-

Guest -Clockmaker97-

I am a non-Sikh, with a few questions on the Sikh perception of these men, since it confuses me a little bit.

I have seen gurdwardas named after these men, and I just don't understand why this is being done so. This man (also called Ram Muhammad Singh Azad), along with Bhagat Singh, were devoted Marxists, that tried to push the Marxist (though Bhagat Singh took more of a Leninist line) cause, from what I have read. This means that religion is of course the "opiate of the masses" to these people.

Yet I see these guys being portrayed as symbols of Sikhism, despite the fact that they probably felt the same way Karl Marx did about it (all religion is bad). Bhagat Singh even wrote something called Why I am an Atheist that can be found on the internet rather easily.

The only answers that I can get, is that these men were Punjabi, and since Punjabis dominate Sikhism, they tend to be more lenient with their heroes, or they just want to find an excuse to celebrate him more, so they just say "Hey let's make a Gurdwarda after him!". Other then that, though I am greatly confused on this.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bhagat Singh was a Marxist to begin with, but he didn't die an atheist. Please don't believe all those fancy Bollywood movies. Bhagat Singh wanted to be a proper Khalsa before he was martyred, but the British didn't allow it. His conversation with Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji changed him. And as for Udham Singh, he wasn't an atheist at all, and so I don't really think he was a Marxist.

Guest Narinder Singh

Udham Singh was not a Marxist nor was he an atheist, Bhagat Singh for most of his revolutionary life was.

Both however, both had abandoned their Sikhi saroop (but Bhagat Singh adopted it once again as Mehtab Singh mentioned).

Fateh.

Udham Singh and Bhagat Singh don't come under Khalistan Shaheeds. Rather they are respected as Shaheeds for Bharat. And since they both abandoned their Sikhi Saroop they come under PATIT category. Also at that period communism grew among once Sikhs of Punjab.

Udham Singh was not a Marxist nor was he an atheist, Bhagat Singh for most of his revolutionary life was.

Both however, both had abandoned their Sikhi saroop (but Bhagat Singh adopted it once again as Mehtab Singh mentioned).

Fateh.

Then why am I seeing gurdwardas named after these two then? I'm not trying to be critical of Sikhs in anyway, but this is extremely confusing.

Also as for Udham Singh not being a Marxist from what I have heard he did have some Marxism inside of him, and from my readings of Udham Singh have lead me to believe that as well.

And Mehtab Singh,

I don't think I have ever seen a Bollywood Film about Bhagat Singh or Udham Singh, that mentions Marxism at all, and never failed to mention them as Sikhs.

these two men are propped up the most because they ended up shedding sikhi saroop. people ignore the Babbar Akalis and the gadar party members, likes of kartar singh sarabha etc etc because they have sikh faces. every attempt is made not to put a sikh face on the freedom struggle.

bhagat singh and uddam singh are acceptable to the majority indian community because they show that fighting for india is more important than any sikh identity because the opposite would lead to a sikh nationality struggle.

if we look at the statistics that are always brought up, 70-80% of the sacrifices were made by sikhs. why are these two men always shown rather than the hundreds and thousands of others? what made their sacrifice greater than all the others?

we need to ask these questions.

as for the importace of these men in sikhi, i personally never heard anything about these men in our local gurdwara. nor have i ever heard of a gurdwara named after them.

peace.

And Mehtab Singh,

I don't think I have ever seen a Bollywood Film about Bhagat Singh or Udham Singh, that mentions Marxism at all, and never failed to mention them as Sikhs.

I am glad that you havn't watched them, and I don't think I would encourage you to watch those movies or any Bollywood movies anyways.
these two men are propped up the most because they ended up shedding sikhi saroop. people ignore the Babbar Akalis and the gadar party members, likes of kartar singh sarabha etc etc because they have sikh faces. every attempt is made not to put a sikh face on the freedom struggle.

bhagat singh and uddam singh are acceptable to the majority indian community because they show that fighting for india is more important than any sikh identity because the opposite would lead to a sikh nationality struggle.

if we look at the statistics that are always brought up, 70-80% of the sacrifices were made by sikhs. why are these two men always shown rather than the hundreds and thousands of others? what made their sacrifice greater than all the others?

we need to ask these questions.

as for the importace of these men in sikhi, i personally never heard anything about these men in our local gurdwara. nor have i ever heard of a gurdwara named after them.

peace.

The Maan has said it :nihungsmile: