Singh's Without Beards But With Kess

JustME

today its the norm for guys to wear patkeh and trim breads and girls to have layers and streaks in their hair

BUT JUST COS ITS THE NORM DONT MANKE IT RITE hanna?

that is sooo rite

and that sound clip shows it isnt a new thing cos i remember hearing that quitee a few years ago... and i know people who say they cut their beard because of fashion... is fashion taking over?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was one guy in my class at university some years ago, who was like this; full turban, and trimmed beard. Eventually I got a chance to introduce myself, and I didn't even have to ask why he didn't keep his beard. He started telling me himself (probably out of shame or because he felt self-conscious about it).

His reason was, that his family is religious, but he is not. He was taught never to cut his hair (head hair), and to always cover it. So, it became a ritual type thing for him. As for the beard, his perception was that keeping beard is a "fanatical" or "orthodox" sikh thing to do, but to him Keeping hair, meant head hair only.

I think, a big issue comes from... Parents and families and communities who are pressuring their kids and youth to KEEP HEAD HAIR... (especially if your family is amritdhari, or more religious)... for the sake of family honour, or "what will the others say"... but the youth themselves don't know what sikhi is about, and don't believe in Sikhi. BUT, We can't force people to believe, and we can't force people to get educated about their born-into faith.

It's not that these people are "bad"... it's just that they don't believe... and are just trying to compromise between pleasing others and pleasing other others. So, they keep their head hair, and cut their beards thinking "if i ever decide to be gurmukh I can just grow my beard back easily, no biggie".

The solution? Pray for them, and if you are in "high spirits" of sikhi, inspire others... ignite that flame inside of them too... don't just diss them and stay away from them... it's company of chardi kala ppl that they need the most... got it?

There was one guy in my class at university some years ago, who was like this; full turban, and trimmed beard. Eventually I got a chance to introduce myself, and I didn't even have to ask why he didn't keep his beard. He started telling me himself (probably out of shame or because he felt self-conscious about it).

His reason was, that his family is religious, but he is not. He was taught never to cut his hair (head hair), and to always cover it. So, it became a ritual type thing for him. As for the beard, his perception was that keeping beard is a "fanatical" or "orthodox" sikh thing to do, but to him Keeping hair, meant head hair only.

I think, a big issue comes from... Parents and families and communities who are pressuring their kids and youth to KEEP HEAD HAIR... (especially if your family is amritdhari, or more religious)... for the sake of family honour, or "what will the others say"... but the youth themselves don't know what sikhi is about, and don't believe in Sikhi. BUT, We can't force people to believe, and we can't force people to get educated about their born-into faith.

It's not that these people are "bad"... it's just that they don't believe... and are just trying to compromise between pleasing others and pleasing other others. So, they keep their head hair, and cut their beards thinking "if i ever decide to be gurmukh I can just grow my beard back easily, no biggie".

The solution? Pray for them, and if you are in "high spirits" of sikhi, inspire others... ignite that flame inside of them too... don't just diss them and stay away from them... it's company of chardi kala ppl that they need the most... got it?

omg everything you said was true and wen i USED to trim my beard.......i did it because other singhs were doin it and thought it was normal............the only person who used to tell me it was wrong was ma headstrong cousin and she used to tell me that you will look like a man when you keep your beard LOL went on a few years like that lol but eventually her message sank in and i started thinking why keep hair on head if you trim your beard so after that i started to keep ma beard :D what these singhs need is some guidance or advice or a good kick up the arse in some cases (like mine LOL)

this is weird BUT at this years vaisaki in the Gurdwara near green street i was the only guy there with full beard!!!!!all the singhs had trim beards i was like wat the hell is goin one here on vaisaki of all occasions but seriously somtin needs to be done..............A lion without his mane is a sorry sight indeed.

Most of Sikhs in Punjab are sikhs with turban and with cut beard.

90 % turbon sikhs in Punjab trim there beards.

It is strange but true. :D

I find a guy who says that cutting beard is sin so he was used to burn it with candle. :D

A sikh is one who do not cut his hairs and recite bani daily. :)

Most of Sikhs in Punjab are sikhs with turban and with cut beard.

90 % turbon sikhs in Punjab trim there beards.

It is strange but true. :D

I find a guy who says that cutting beard is sin so he was used to burn it with candle. :D

A sikh is one who do not cut his hairs and recite bani daily. :)

a sikh is a LOT more then that... those are jus 2 of the many characteristics...

being a Sikh isnt easy nor is being a Khalsa. Nothing in life worth doing is easy.

Love bringing people into Sikhi will outlast anything else. we need to focus parchaar specifically on groups of sikhs to wake us all up into seeing how beautiful our Guru is and how lucky we are!!

:WW: I second that!!!!!!!!

If there is one thing I've learned so far, it's that without love we ain't got nothing. If Love ignites in our own hearts, it spreads like a wildfire. And when that happens, there's no more questions, and insecurities, and trying to fit in (on both sides), no more obstacles... Love is the way... we play the game of love... and with love we give our heads. And with love, we obey our Guru. When love pervades our soul, we will realize that each existing thing, including each hair follicle, each atom, each star in the sky... is in God's image and will. And we will smile, and enjoy it, and be dazed in love... love... love...

The moment we spread LOVE, Parchaar in Sikhi, the moment you gonna see tons of Sikhs spouting from everywhere, with their full beards, and long hair, and shining eyes, and beautiful hearts. They'll be saying Waheguru everywhere, drenched in love. LOVE is the soil and the water, and the warmth, and the fertilizer, that allows the seed of faith and rememberance, and devotion to grow.

so, sorry bout the rant... but yeah

:WW: I second that!!!!!!!!

If there is one thing I've learned so far, it's that without love we ain't got nothing. If Love ignites in our own hearts, it spreads like a wildfire. And when that happens, there's no more questions, and insecurities, and trying to fit in (on both sides), no more obstacles... Love is the way... we play the game of love... and with love we give our heads. And with love, we obey our Guru. When love pervades our soul, we will realize that each existing thing, including each hair follicle, each atom, each star in the sky... is in God's image and will. And we will smile, and enjoy it, and be dazed in love... love... love...

The moment we spread LOVE, Parchaar in Sikhi, the moment you gonna see tons of Sikhs spouting from everywhere, with their full beards, and long hair, and shining eyes, and beautiful hearts. They'll be saying Waheguru everywhere, drenched in love. LOVE is the soil and the water, and the warmth, and the fertilizer, that allows the seed of faith and rememberance, and devotion to grow.

so, sorry bout the rant... but yeah

'JIN PREM KIO, TIN HEE PRABH PAAEYOOO'