Statement From Jaswinder Singh Ubhi (coventry)

GurSa Singh

Statement from Jaswinder Singh Ubhi (Coventry)

30th August 2007

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj!

Over the last few months groups of individuals have been attempting to disrupt inter racial Anand Karajs in Gurdwaras. Direct blame is being passed on to myself and other individuals whom I am associated with, such as Sikhs linked with the Respect For Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Campaign.

I have no involvement in these recent disruptions and dissociate myself from this group of individuals who appear to be falsely using my name. I also wish to make this clear to the Sadh Sangat and especially some Jathebhandi’s who seem to have linked my name to some of the recent high profile hostile and violent incidents.

I fully agree that our culture has reduced the Anand Karaj to a ritual and we must to reignite the Sikh sprit. This cannot happen by hatred and anger towards families and couples. It is hypocritical to disrupt an interracial Anand Karaj however ignore an Anand Karaj of a Punjabi family who have no respect for why they have come to the Gurdwara, and waiting to finish and leave for a wedding reception where there is alcohol, dancing and meat. Both scenarios reflect Manmukh actions.

To disrupt an Anand Karaj in a Gurdwara due to the fact that it is inter racial is simply bigotry and reflects a prejudice attitude towards other communities and races.

Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji highlighted hypocrisy in corrupt Brahims and Qazis of the time. For Sikhs to become hypocrites aswell is a blatant reminder that we have our back towards Gurbani. Being born in a Sikh family does not give anyone the right to throw stones at others or allow you to feel superior to any other community or colour. Sikhism broke all boundaries of caste, creed and colour. Sikhism is a religion that prays for the betterment of Mankind. Sikhism is living the principles of Gurmat, from the physical attributes to the spiritual beliefs.

Once again I wish to state that I have never being involved in these disruptions and disassociate myself from the bias actions of such groups and individuals. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss this in depth.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!

Jaswinder Singh Ubhi (Coventry)

Tel 07956 456133

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fathe

Well in the midlands the Gurdwaras came together around a month ago and decided that they will put in place a procedure for mixed race weddings (there needs to be a clear distinction between inter faith and mixed race, as in one senario the people getting married have different races and in the other different faiths) the procedure is as follows :-

· The Akal Thankt Marayda on Mixed Marriages had clarification sent to the UK after a meeting by over 200 Gurdwara presidents at Siri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara Coventry on the 15th of July . This was following bombings and threats made at other Gurdwaras.

· The clarification states that the non-sikh party will have to do the below:

1. Include Singh/Kaur in the name (Thus changing Passport/Driving Licence etc..)

2. Define themselves as Sikh as per Sikh Rehat Maryada (Pay homage to Guru Granth Sahib and Guru Jees, State that they follow no religion except Sikhism.

3. Acknowledge the importance of the institution of the Amrit Sanchar and understand that they will work towards taking Amrit.

4. Bring there Children up as Sikhs only.

So if the non punjabi person accepts the above conditions they are permitted as per akal takhat to be married in a Gurdwara. I was shocked to learn that there are certain youths who have been petrol bombing the cars of commitee members where these weddings take place, even where the above conditions are fullfilled the threats are still being made. How can these people class themselves as Gursikhs. May Guru ji bless his panth with ekta and love.

Well in the midlands the Gurdwaras came together around a month ago and decided that they will put in place a procedure for mixed race weddings (there needs to be a clear distinction between inter faith and mixed race, as in one senario the people getting married have different races and in the other different faiths) the procedure is as follows :-

· The Akal Thankt Marayda on Mixed Marriages had clarification sent to the UK after a meeting by over 200 Gurdwara presidents at Siri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara Coventry on the 15th of July . This was following bombings and threats made at other Gurdwaras.

· The clarification states that the non-sikh party will have to do the below:

1. Include Singh/Kaur in the name (Thus changing Passport/Driving Licence etc..)

2. Define themselves as Sikh as per Sikh Rehat Maryada (Pay homage to Guru Granth Sahib and Guru Jees, State that they follow no religion except Sikhism.

3. Acknowledge the importance of the institution of the Amrit Sanchar and understand that they will work towards taking Amrit.

4. Bring there Children up as Sikhs only.

So if the non punjabi person accepts the above conditions they are permitted as per akal takhat to be married in a Gurdwara. I was shocked to learn that there are certain youths who have been petrol bombing the cars of commitee members where these weddings take place, even where the above conditions are fullfilled the threats are still being made. How can these people class themselves as Gursikhs. May Guru ji bless his panth with ekta and love.

I think this is great, at least it attempts to ensure an increase in Sikh population through the children.

^^hanji, looks like the akal takht have made a good decision for once :D (joking no offense intended to any1)

but what i want to know is why isnt all this being enforced?? last weekend i know of three weddings now where gora married sikh girl. one in coventry, one in kenilworth and the one in leicester which there is a thread about. I doubt any of the above was mentioned

^^hanji, looks like the akal takht have made a good decision for once :D (joking no offense intended to any1)

but what i want to know is why isnt all this being enforced?? last weekend i know of three weddings now where gora married sikh girl. one in coventry, one in kenilworth and the one in leicester which there is a thread about. I doubt any of the above was mentioned

I meet Sikhs married to nonSikhs ALL the time in my day to day work. Why are you pindus going on like it is something unusual?

Wonderful. I think that would be great to make sure all people who get married in presence of Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, include Singh or Kaur in the name.

The problem occurs when it comes to the Akaal Takht because their are Gurdwaras around who dont follow Akaal Takht (i believe). So what about those Gurdwaras?

The other thing is, i thought the name Singh and Kaur was bestowed on those who have taken Amrit (as per the saajna of the Khalsa by Guru Gobind Singh Jee in 1699)?

the problem is the Ubhi did spearhead a lot of campaigns, fair enough he may not be involved with this current one but mud unfortunately does stick, i'm not sure what else he could do in respect to distancing himself from this. I am surprised though that punjabi families are suddenly finding that it is okay to do these marriages in the g'ware, time gone by people would have been embrassed that their children were marrying out of colour so to speak, for me the issue is deeper we have lost a generation ! let this generation of gursikhs work hard to educate and bring back lost one's who are trying to find the way and focus on future generations through camps and parchar....

the problem is the Ubhi did spearhead a lot of campaigns, fair enough he may not be involved with this current one but mud unfortunately does stick, i'm not sure what else he could do in respect to distancing himself from this. I am surprised though that punjabi families are suddenly finding that it is okay to do these marriages in the g'ware, time gone by people would have been embrassed that their children were marrying out of colour so to speak, for me the issue is deeper we have lost a generation ! let this generation of gursikhs work hard to educate and bring back lost one's who are trying to find the way and focus on future generations through camps and parchar....

Camps and parchar only really reach a small number, who are mostly already converted anyway. Need more, outreach type stuff.

I also think this think "bringing up children as Sikhs only" is wrong. You cant enforce it on parents in the real world.

Its like we are making laws here but its kinda funny coz it isnt really a law by law! You cant police. You cant go round policing neighbourhoods and families to see how they bringing up their children.

"2. Define themselves as Sikh as per Sikh Rehat Maryada (Pay homage to Guru Granth Sahib and Guru Jees, State that they follow no religion except Sikhism."

So erm... do they like sign a document saying they will follow no religion except Sikhism? LOL

Is it just me or is this turning into like a sharia law?

Also, i would suggest Bhai Jaswinder Singh Ubhi puts his words on a video. No offence, but i dont believe half the c*ap written on the internet etc and a digital signature is not valid here. He could have also wrote it in his own words (punjabi or english) with a signature.