To Every Uni Student

rimmel

so does that mean you still club Sitargirl?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just say something...

I'm 21, and also see myself trying to walk the religious path.

I'll bring an interesting example a young Akhara gave at the Derby Rehnsabahi September.

Imagine there are 2 trees.

1 tree is very rigid. when the wind comes, it doesn't sway or give way. instead it snaps with the direct pressure from the wind.

the 2nd tree is very flexible. when the wind comes, it sways and flexes with the wind, and withstands the insurgence.

similarly, i'm joining a law firm which means that every so often I am invited to a club or a bar with my fellow work partners and supervisors. I too have to attend.

In a way it's quite funny though. many people say that yyou are affected by the sangat you keep. but also, you can affect the sangat aswell. I don't drink, nor eat meat. so my close future work m8s won't eat meat when meeting up with me, or won't drink.

I find that interesting.

Fateh

there's a couple of things I wanted to know about in regards to what happens to people when they go to uni. I don't know about anyone else but when I meet a SINGH I'm like proper wow......talk to them loads etc......and then you find out things about them which makes you think :)

Like I noticed this recent trend where a lot of the SINGHS go clubbing....like with full dhari etc and its not just people who have not taken amrit cos I've heard of amritdhari's doing the same....I really want to know why these people do that. Is it right to go clubbing? Why do people go?

With all do respect penji, this was your original question, and judging by the replies you have given to this subject, haven't you answered your own question?, Everyone has different reasons for whatever decisions they make, and we tend to do what is right for ourselves so i guess it could be argued that there is no intrinisic right or wrong. Just out of curiosity, if you do go yourself, and are to happy to do so? why do you feel they need such justification?

Relating to the highlighted quote:

Bit harsh don't you think? blush.gif

I hope i haven't offended you penji, as this was not my intention :lol: . x

there's a couple of things I wanted to know about in regards to what happens to people when they go to uni. I don't know about anyone else but when I meet a SINGH I'm like proper wow......talk to them loads etc......and then you find out things about them which makes you think :)

Like I noticed this recent trend where a lot of the SINGHS go clubbing....like with full dhari etc and its not just people who have not taken amrit cos I've heard of amritdhari's doing the same....I really want to know why these people do that. Is it right to go clubbing? Why do people go?

With all do respect penji, this was your original question, and judging by the replies you have given to this subject, haven't you answered your own question?, Everyone has different reasons for whatever decisions they make, and we tend to do what is right for ourselves so i guess it could be argued that there is no intrinisic right or wrong. Just out of curiosity, if you do go yourself, and are to happy to do so? why do you feel they need such justification?

Relating to the highlighted quote:

Bit harsh don't you think? blush.gif

I hope i haven't offended you penji, as this was not my intention :lol: . x

Nice story but

- Who is the wind???? Do you mean the wind is a club?

- When the wind comes ie clubbing then u snap....what does this mean in terms of a person who does not go clubbing..please explain to me how they snap...

I think a problem identified here is your outlook. Sikhi is not a rules of do this and do this like ure trying to imply.

Thanks. It's not my story btw. Its just an interpretation of someone's view the necessity to be versatile in this day and age.

I really do think your getting ahead of yourself Sitargirl, and beacause of your tunnel vision, ur missing anyone else's perspective.. if you re read my post again, you'll realise im not implying that Sikhi is a set of rules.

you need to simplify your perspective on Sikhi. It's unbelievably simple.

-Wake up early and ishnan

-do nitnem

-work, eat, play

-do nitnem

-sleep

Now here is where we identify a MAJOR PROBLEMO with ourselves. We try to live in society failing to recognise that society changes. Instead ppl will say life is about a balance....a balance in society which always changes.

It's not about finding a balance. It's about being proactive to your surroundings.

and trust me I've seen these Singhs. They forget that they are Sikhs and start doing the whole check her out thing.

lol, your point... is hilarious. i'm struggling to see it. very confusing. maybe its just me rolleyes.gif

similarly, i'm joining a law firm which means that every so often I am invited to a club or a bar with my fellow work partners and supervisors. I too have to attend.

You don't have to go - trust me there are other ways to network. I used to go out and now I decline...

i disagree. my lawfirm is in the city. the only way to meet the partners for future trainees = meeting them at the bar. have a lemonade. i used to be naive. but sometimes u gotta accept what happens.

i look forward to a fiery reply :lol:

well sitargirl i would have to say to u "lucky u" and the reason why i say tht is coz i myself jus happened to be a sophomore at my uni and of all the kesa dhaari singhs i have seen they dont really have dastar on em and i think am the only one so far with dastar

and secondly the thing about the clubs i used to hate tht place but i dunno why i feel tht its better socializing at a club rather at a gurdwara coz we disrespect the maryada when we start talkin in a gurdwara in front of Guru Granth Sahib ji

i totally agree with ur viewpoint

but the thing about amritdharis ... there are some good ones and some bad ones so would u think it would be wise to generalize all of em being phony and out of picture of the sikhi?

Damn...you lot still moaning about this. I love the way sitar girl breaks down exectly what everyone says.

I'll take that as a compliment but you must have noticed that I don't break yours down - purely cos you forgot to mention you drink.

Sitar girl, i duno what kinda bars you been to...but me being a music student i go to all kinds on clubs/bars.Heres a few breakdowns of to how, generally, clubs are and whats goes on in em

Thanks for the breakdown. I tend to go to all sorts but mainly the hiphop and bhangra ones.....Just so that you know the breakdown really doesn't change anything cos what I say still applies. In all honesty I prefer bars to clubs cos the 'chat' actually happens there but since I don't drink its a complete waste of my time...on the rare occasion I do meet ppl who I stay friends with but not cos I chatted to them at the place but cos of talking to them afterwards.

In terms of music contacts I did happen to meet this guy who randomly came up to me and asked if I played anything and wanted to do a merger....but those ppl can be met via other places. I tend to now prefer music concerts....less tiring on me and better quality in terms of musical talent about....

I love that this whole thing turned from a question into a full on arguement. Just makes me laugh at how serious people take minor things that are insignificant.

I do think this is an important thing cos amritdhari ppl are justifying their actions in terms of sikhi etc. Please go if you want but don't put sikhi into it.