Hair

Guest Chandaramuki

I was just wondering why we sikhs have to grow our hair and never cut it? I just find it odd and strange. No one wants to explain it to me. Hopefully you guys can help me out here and tell me about it. I have many more questions about our religion and because I don't live in a city with a vast sikh population I don't know who to ask. I did try asking my parents but they just don't have to time to sit down and explain it to me. Thank you very much for your time and effort into replying! I look forward to reading your replies and hopefully they will help answer my question and help me understand our wonderful religion a bit more.

:)

bcuz we're cool

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah not many but infinite sargun saroop, by implying many we are also implying there is an end, there is no end. People should read jaap sahib and sri akaal ustat sahib before bringing their mat and starting pushing that vahiguroo is keshdhari only in sargun saroop.

At no point have i refuted what you said, your correct Vaheguroo Ji is not bound to any particular form. While i completely agree, you can keep Kes on the exteria but be the biggest manmukh in the world, therfore soley relying on Kes is futile and bounding Vaheguroo to being Kesadhari is wrong because he has all forms, yet none.

But to Guru Ji Kes are important. depending upon your own avastha Gurbani can have many interpretations and i have stated mine.

if i'm going to be labelled a katarvaad (etc) for just stating my opinion, then so be it.

Is unshorn hair necessary for union with God?

Bearing in mind, accoring to Guru Granth Sahib Ji - the NAME of God is the only thing that matters

Har ka Naam jan ka-o mukat jugat.

The name of the God is the way to liberation.

What matters is love and devotion to God.

So much so that you merge with Him.

Guru Ji goes on to say

The Name of God is the essence of all religions

It resides in the hearts of all devotees.

Sagal maatai kayval Har Naam.

So Christions, Jews, Buddhists etc have the NAME as long at they are devoted to God.

They don't keep hair nor have they Amrit. but some Sikhs say that Amrit is necessary for emancipation.

Baically Guru Granth Sahib Ji contradicts some elements of Rehatnamas that were produced later on in years, but some people prefer to follow rehatnamas than our Guru Ji.

Guru Ji says appearance does not matter

But rehatnamas say one must not wear hats

Guru Ji says does not matter what one wears.

Rehatnama says one must not wear red.

IMHO Amrit is necessary to be Khalsa and puts you on a path of discipline but it does not ensure you

emancipation - that occurs with the NAME of God alone.

Fateh.

any religion you look at today Muslim, Hinduism, Christans or any any relgion their Gods or whoever they worship they all looks just like sikhs :nihungsmile:

Our Gurus gave us their own identity and looks :nihungsmile:

From birth child is always sikh no matter what religion. Their parents then cut their hairs to transfer them to some other religion. Also the first word babies always is "baba" lol.

i's very simple... God made us a certain way... WITH HAIR... by removing your hair, you'd be telling God that HE'S not perfect, and you don't like the way he made you... ur altering your appearance..

Jesus, Mohammed.... both also kept their hair in tact... as did our Guru Sahibs.. our Guru sahibs wore a dastaar for a reason, nah because it was a fashion statement...

as we're trying to live the Lives as Gursikhs, we must live as our Gurus Did...

yeah not many but infinite sargun saroop, by implying many we are also implying there is an end, there is no end. People should read jaap sahib and sri akaal ustat sahib before bringing their mat and starting pushing that vahiguroo is keshdhari only in sargun saroop.

At no point have i refuted what you said, your correct Vaheguroo Ji is not bound to any particular form. While i completely agree, you can keep Kes on the exteria but be the biggest manmukh in the world, therfore soley relying on Kes is futile and bounding Vaheguroo to being Kesadhari is wrong because he has all forms, yet none.

But to Guru Ji Kes are important. depending upon your own avastha Gurbani can have many interpretations and i have stated mine.

if i'm going to be labelled a katarvaad (etc) for just stating my opinion, then so be it.

I like to clarify two things bro,

1. My above comments was general comment not directed towards anyone particular.

2. I never labelled you katarvaadi.