Using Family Names

Big_Tera

EVERY SIKH HAS SINGH OR KAUR AS SECOND NAME. THAT MEANS ONLY YOUR FIRST NAME ON LEGAL DOCUMENTS CAN TELL YOU APART FROM OTHERS AND VERY PROBABLY MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAME FIRST NAME AS YOU AND SINGH/KAUR SO NAME CLASH AND HIGH CHANCE OF ID THEFT.

IF YOU HAVE THIRD NAME AFTER FIRST NAME & SINGH/KAUR LESS CHANCE OVERALL OF NAME CLASH ID THEFT.

IN CANADA AT IMMIGRATION YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIRD NAME OTHERWISE YOU DON'T GET ENTRY INTO CANADA SINGH AND KAUR BANNED BECAUSE TO COMMON YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIRD NAME AS WELL LEGALLY.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/200...mmigration.html

YOU HAVE TO BE STUPID NOT TO HAVE THIRD NAME/FAMILY NAME.

you not much of a sikh scholar, if ur calling all of the singhs n singhnia stupid for hving the guts to abandon, caste/ family / inherited names. with kirpa i will be takin amrit in feb, so first thing ill do is get rid of my third name.

ps there are many ways to protect urself against identity theft, i dont think anything should get in the way of choices about dharma, this world does not belong to the political people, nor does it belong to the canadian imigration system, we are not slaves, no one but our father can tell us what to do or what not too, we live in the Will of Akal Purakh....... so dont go on about getting into canada the world doesnt revolve around it u know........ :nihungsmile: :nihungsmile:

http://www.rage.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/27/1990598.htm

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EVERY SIKH HAS SINGH OR KAUR AS SECOND NAME. THAT MEANS ONLY YOUR FIRST NAME ON LEGAL DOCUMENTS CAN TELL YOU APART FROM OTHERS AND VERY PROBABLY MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAME FIRST NAME AS YOU AND SINGH/KAUR SO NAME CLASH AND HIGH CHANCE OF ID THEFT.

IF YOU HAVE THIRD NAME AFTER FIRST NAME & SINGH/KAUR LESS CHANCE OVERALL OF NAME CLASH ID THEFT.

IN CANADA AT IMMIGRATION YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIRD NAME OTHERWISE YOU DON'T GET ENTRY INTO CANADA SINGH AND KAUR BANNED BECAUSE TO COMMON YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIRD NAME AS WELL LEGALLY.

you not much of a sikh scholar, if ur calling all of the singhs n singhnia stupid for hving the guts to abandon, caste/ family / inherited names. with kirpa i will be takin amrit in feb, so first thing ill do is get rid of my third name.

ps there are many ways to protect urself against identity theft, i dont think anything should get in the way of choices about dharma, this world does not belong to the political people, nor does it belong to the canadian imigration system, we are not slaves, no one but our father can tell us what to do or what not too, we live in the Will of Akal Purakh....... so dont go on about getting into canada the world doesnt revolve around it u know........ :nihungsmile: :nihungsmile:

Why don't you use Khalsa as surname? Once you take Amrit your name is Singh and your home is Sri Anandpuhr Sahib but all this identity stuff, i think alot of it is to do with castes etc, thats why they keep it.

Why don't you use Khalsa as surname? Once you take Amrit your name is Singh and your home is Sri Anandpuhr Sahib but all this identity stuff, i think alot of it is to do with castes etc, thats why they keep it.

and caste has nothing to do with sikhy

and caste has nothing to do with sikhy

SO IF SOMEONE CALLED JOHN SMITH BECAME SIKH AND CALLED HIMSELF JOHN SINGH SMITH THAT'S WRONG BY YOUR BRAIN CALCULATION. AND YOUR BRAIN SAY'S SMITH IS HIS CASTE NAME. YOU REALLY ARE STUPID.

THERE IS NOTHING IN THE GURU GRANTH SAHIB THAT SAYS THAT YOU CAN'T HAVE A THIRD NAME/FAMILY.

AND YOU ARE MAKING NEW RULES UP THAT ARE NOT IN THE GURU GRANTH SAHIB WHICH MEANS YOU ARE HERETICS AND WILL GO TO HELL.

SOME OF THE GREATEST WARRIORS IN SIKH HISTORY HAD THIRD NAMES/FAMILY NAMES:

1. JASSA SINGH AHULWALIA

2. JASSA SINGH RAMGARHIA

ARE YOU SAYING THEY WERE NOT SIKHS AND ARE WRONG TO HAVE THIRD/FAMILY NAMES?????????

YOU REALLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SIKHISM OR SIKH HISTORY - YOU ARE JUST MAKING THIS UP AS YOU GO ALONG.

YOU TELL JASSA SINGH AHULWALIA & JASSA SINGH RAMGARHIA THAT THEY WERE WRONG TO HAVE THIRD/FAMILY NAMES - THEY ARE MORE SIKH THAN YOU WILL EVER BE IN 100000000 LIFE TIMES!!!!!!!!!

YOU REALLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SIKHISM OR SIKH HISTORY.

http://www.sikh-history.com/sikhhist/warriors/ahluwalia.html

http://www.sikh-history.com/sikhhist/warriors/ramgarhia.html

Guest wallace singh

Uh, Scholar, why the screaming?

As I understand it, the Singh and Kaur usage was to blur the differences between caste backgrounds, which was fine, so long as Sikhism was confined to the subcontinent and South Asians, if you'll pardon the term. Obviously, Sikhs are now just about everywhere, and in my case, it's sort of useless. My "caste," as it were, is as plain as day. There's no getting around it.

If you use your last name, at least in dealing with other Sikhs, it's a bit prickly. Some Sikhs won't use family names because they feel that it is wrong, as much as others won't (or will) because their last names either reveal caste information, or the possibility that they're descended from first sons of Hindu families.

I'm always Bh. Singh to other Sikhs, always. There's no point in using my Western name religiously, now that I've taken amrit. Away from Sikhi, in dealing with the rest of the world, for the time being I use my Western name. Partly, I do this because I feel that my birth parents would be gravely offended, even though I know who my spiritual parents are and where my spiritual birthplace is. And partly, I do this for convenience, until such time as my birth father passes from his physical form. Then, and only then, will I do what is necessary and become Bh. Singh S.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Jassa Singh Ramgharia's family name was actually Bhamra, not Ramgharia.

Also you are saying one will go to hell if they use the surname Singh or Kaur which Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj our real father gave us instead of their family name?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

the thing with family names is that they normally are associated with caste which needs to be eradicated from panth if we ever want to live up to the ideals set forth by are guru. so i think it is better if you really want another name is to use where your from. such as 'bindranwale' or 'london' or 'uk' or 'canada' <_<

Guest PunjabSingh

Third/Last name distinguishes between a number of people with same first and second names in a particular organisation .

It does not neccessarily mean that the person who uses last name is in fact endorsing casteism.

For example if I use Harjot Singh I may be considered a Rajput or Bhaiya from UP/Bihar(eg Amar Singh,Mulayam Singh,Anand Singh,Jaswant Singh etc).

On the other hand my full name Harjot Singh Brar shows my true identity.

I had faced this situation recently while commenting on Alamgir convention on rediff .Before I posted my comment some one by the name of Harjot Singh had already posted a comment.

If I post in the same name then how am I supposed to distinguish my post from his ?

Writing third name is an individual choice .

• 3 weeks later...

Q: Why do Sikh men have the last name Singh and all women, have the last name Kaur?

A: Singh means a lion and Kaur means a princess. In Sikhism these titles eliminate discrimination based on “family name” (which denotes a specific caste) and reinforces that all Sikhs are sovereigns under God.

This tradition started because through the last name one could distinguish what caste you are from. Just by hearing the last name they would say, “Oh, you are the lowest” or “Oh, you are the middle” or “Oh, you are from high class”. Thus the Guru eliminated the last name from all the Sikhs so that no one could tell the caste and achieved equality for all Sikhs. He gave Singh as a last name to all the Sikh men and Kaur to all the Sikh women. Women were not treated as equals before the time of the Gurus, and so to ensure equality, a movement for women’s liberation was started five hundred years ago with the Sikh faith. The Guru said, “You are my beloved princesses, my daughters. You must be respected. How can this world be without you?” He admonished men for being rude and bad to women. He said, “Without women this world cannot be. So give them rights, give them equal respect.” So the Sikh faith says that you must respect women. Normally, when a woman would get married, she would take the last name of the family she went to. Since Guru eliminated the name, he said, “You don’t have to take anybody else's name. You are an individual, you are a princess, and you keep Kaur as your last name.” It gave women a lot of self-respect.

Q: Some Sikhs still use Gill, Sandhu and Sidhu etc. as their last name and they treat Singh as their middle name, why is that?

A: Those Sikhs are not completely following the Guru. Guru specifically said to use Singh as your last name. Those Sikhs are much interested in preserving their caste. A real Sikh will only use Singh or Kaur as his or her last name.