Desi Sikhs And Foreign Sikhs Dont Get Along?

Guest Original poster

Guest Original poster

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh ji

I am currently in UK for some time and attend samgams/rainsabais etc. wherever possible.I also have some friends here who are born and brought up in india but came only for jobs here like 2-3 years back. I have observed something and my friends here have also said the same thing. Its that sikh youth who are born and brought up in west(UK in this case)(foreign sikhs) dont mingle with sikh youth who have grown in India but have come here in recent years(desi sikhs).Now I am talking about amrithari singhs who have great love for gurughar and keertan/katha etc.

Foreign sikhs wear great bana,some do wonderfull keertan and sewa but as soon as they come out of gurughar they just start their foreign accent english and many times this inhibits mingling of foreign and desi sikhs.In india at samagams and gurudwaras singhs and singhnia(especially amrithari and ones in bana) show "pyaar" towards even those whom they dont know and they try to encourage them to visit samagam regularly and in general make new comers welcome and you feel the pyaar amonst the sangat.Even if you dont mingle too much you dont miss any chance of talking to them.especially if sangat is not much and you see a new face who joins in you ask where they are from and if they have recently moved in etc. But here in UK i never felt that thing. I attended so many samagams and was hoping to make amrithari chardikala friends but it never happened. Not that I attend samagams to make friends or I will stop attending now but it sometimes helps greatly at a new place if you have good chardikala sangat and feel welcomed and see the same pyaar from the sangat that we usually experince in samagams in india.

This makes my friends feel bored even though they are staying at a place where there is lot of sangat and gurdwarey.And makes me question whether I will ever make friends with chardikala singhs and families here even if I stayed in places where there is lot of sangat and even if I stay here for long. Thinking about it makes me feel to go back to India.

My friends ,who are here from sometime mentioned that they havent made any foreign sikh friends even after 2-3 years because foreign sikhs dont mingle with desi sikhs.They told me that even after knowling some people pretty closely they never got invited to any family.in india its very common to get such invitation. Some singhs sometimes force you to visit their families.

I am not sure if my observation is true or not.It will be great if sangat puts some light.

I also noticed at various samagams that many singh and singhnia in great bana prefer chatting away in langar halls rather than spending time in Guru Sahibs presence listening to keertan/katha. I know every one needs to go out to take a break during samagam but spending lot of time in langar hall,laughing out loud,gossiping etc is a different thing. this way it just makes even rainsabais a place to socialice.Whats surprising is that almost all the crowd in langar hall is wearing great chardikala bana. I havent so much of this thing in india samagams.

Please dont take me wrong.I am not generalising .I know there is great sangat here and not all people are alike but I am writing after having attended various rainsabais and samagams here and I found these things in almost all of them.

Apologies if I hurt anyone.

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh ji

I am currently in UK for some time and attend samgams/rainsabais etc. wherever possible.I also have some friends here who are born and brought up in india but came only for jobs here like 2-3 years back. I have observed something and my friends here have also said the same thing. Its that sikh youth who are born and brought up in west(UK in this case)(foreign sikhs) dont mingle with sikh youth who have grown in India but have come here in recent years(desi sikhs).Now I am talking about amrithari singhs who have great love for gurughar and keertan/katha etc.

Foreign sikhs wear great bana,some do wonderfull keertan and sewa but as soon as they come out of gurughar they just start their foreign accent english and many times this inhibits mingling of foreign and desi sikhs.In india at samagams and gurudwaras singhs and singhnia(especially amrithari and ones in bana) show "pyaar" towards even those whom they dont know and they try to encourage them to visit samagam regularly and in general make new comers welcome and you feel the pyaar amonst the sangat.Even if you dont mingle too much you dont miss any chance of talking to them.especially if sangat is not much and you see a new face who joins in you ask where they are from and if they have recently moved in etc. But here in UK i never felt that thing. I attended so many samagams and was hoping to make amrithari chardikala friends but it never happened. Not that I attend samagams to make friends or I will stop attending now but it sometimes helps greatly at a new place if you have good chardikala sangat and feel welcomed and see the same pyaar from the sangat that we usually experince in samagams in india.

This makes my friends feel bored even though they are staying at a place where there is lot of sangat and gurdwarey.And makes me question whether I will ever make friends with chardikala singhs and families here even if I stayed in places where there is lot of sangat and even if I stay here for long. Thinking about it makes me feel to go back to India.

My friends ,who are here from sometime mentioned that they havent made any foreign sikh friends even after 2-3 years because foreign sikhs dont mingle with desi sikhs.They told me that even after knowling some people pretty closely they never got invited to any family.in india its very common to get such invitation. Some singhs sometimes force you to visit their families.

I am not sure if my observation is true or not.It will be great if sangat puts some light.

I also noticed at various samagams that many singh and singhnia in great bana prefer chatting away in langar halls rather than spending time in Guru Sahibs presence listening to keertan/katha. I know every one needs to go out to take a break during samagam but spending lot of time in langar hall,laughing out loud,gossiping etc is a different thing. this way it just makes even rainsabais a place to socialice.Whats surprising is that almost all the crowd in langar hall is wearing great chardikala bana. I havent so much of this thing in india samagams.

Please dont take me wrong.I am not generalising .I know there is great sangat here and not all people are alike but I am writing after having attended various rainsabais and samagams here and I found these things in almost all of them.

Apologies if I hurt anyone.

I think it may be the perception of the India Sikhs who are now emigrating. They are generally seen as being quite cunning and 'chust chalak'. They look the part, but when it comes to getting a permanent visa to stay in the West they will do anything. I am sorry to say that this includes Amritdhari 'Singhs' who wear bana. They tend to lose their morals and ethics when they smell the visa. The ones who do go to Gurudwara use it as a place to socialize.

Lets get one thing out of the way first, STOP GENERALIZING !!!

From personal experience, the newly emigrated people are called "fobs" by most western folks, I don't have to say anything else ...

But hey, that just happened with me, doesn't mean it will happen with everyone :s

best thing i have read today.......

I think it may be the perception of the India Sikhs who are now emigrating. They are generally seen as being quite cunning and 'chust chalak'. They look the part, but when it comes to getting a permanent visa to stay in the West they will do anything. I am sorry to say that this includes Amritdhari 'Singhs' who wear bana. They tend to lose their morals and ethics when they smell the visa. The ones who do go to Gurudwara use it as a place to socialize.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki Fateh ji

See first of all.. sangat ji dont take so personal.. Come out of this western ans eastern thing ... We all are Son and Daughter of one Guru ..so there should be nothin like difrns. in sikh . if any of our veer is facing problem so it is our duty to come fwd and help our veer . Why RSS and others attack on us due to this kinds of difrns in us . and veer bout this chust chalaki .. mere veer sab iko jehe ta nahi hunde rite .. Jo hun West ch rehan wale singh veer bhena aa oh kadi na kadi tan india ton move hoye hone ... je oh nahi hoe then may be uhna de parents.. so dont say this veer.. i agree there are sum guys who are in bana & can do anything for own intrest .

I also noticed at various samagams that many singh and singhnia in great bana prefer chatting away in langar halls rather than spending time in Guru Sahibs presence listening to keertan/katha.

and yea Veer this same prob in india too ... lots veer bhena use to chat while langar seva ..but remember coin have two sides...any ways choti matt bhul chuk maaf karni jio ...waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh ji

Original poster I think in some ways what you have noticed is right ... in UK it is like everyone is split into different 'gangs' or 'cliques' if you aren't in with a gang - maybe because you have different beliefs on rehit, or maybe you have the exact same beliefs! - then you will probably not mix much with them, they may well look down on you or not talk to you. I dont think this is because you are from India in particular.

Also you are right about the Bana, majority of youth wear Bana as a fashion item to 'pretend' to be chardikalaa, the sad truth is the most youth do not keep any rehits of amritvela, etc, and the few who do, it doesn't seem to show in their jeevans with uncontrollable krodh and kaam, and seems to turn more into ego

May guru jee do kirpa on the youth of UK, it is needed desperately! there are a handful of rare chardikalaa gems in the country who are role models for us all, pity they keep gupt, themselves to themselves rather than at the front of programs & events ...