Ishnan?

There was a a great seeker who would rise early in the morning to meditate. He'd walk up to the Ganga river wet his blanket in the frigid cold water and wrap it around him so his mind would stay awake and not fall back into sleep.

Cold water is an instrument to awaken your mind early in the morning. Let us not create a dogma around it that somehow God expects "only" cold water to be used. Using Cold water in a Rehatnama ensures that the Saadhik who does indeed awaken in the morning will remain awake if he was instructed to bathe with Cold Water.

Use it as an instrument, not as Gospel. If indeed you wanted to awaken yourself in the morning your mind would've come up with using cold water regardless if you were instructed to do so by a Rehatnama or not.

Good reply...

cold water wakes ur body up... allows u to stay awake for amrit vela and be wide awake.. warm water/hot water is soothing to the body, has a better chance of u feeling drowsy/fall asleep in the morning...

having bath with cold water is jungi birti ... khalsa is teyar bar teyar ... always ready for a battle ... thats why he is shasterdhari ... having bath in compulsory ... but its said to use cold water because our elders dont want to leave even a single loop hole ... if ur in battle in month on jan ... do u think u have enough resources to get ur water warm for bath ... khalsa is akal purkh ki fauj so live like a fauj teyar bar teyar in a morcha ...

wjkk wjkf

sorry veer ji, Sikhi is a practical religion and we must accept it in the practical way as well. sikhs are the most hard working community in the world and with their hard work and baleive in one god, guru ji has given a sikh all the essentials that we need to live our more with comfirt. As a sikh, we must not forget our sikhi while living our life in this comfirt.

bath with hot or cold water dont make any difference as long as one follows the guru ji's paath.

bhul chuk maaf karni.

wjkk wjkf

having bath with cold water is jungi birti ... khalsa is teyar bar teyar ... always ready for a battle ... thats why he is shasterdhari ... having bath in compulsory ... but its said to use cold water because our elders dont want to leave even a single loop hole ... if ur in battle in month on jan ... do u think u have enough resources to get ur water warm for bath ... khalsa is akal purkh ki fauj so live like a fauj teyar bar teyar in a morcha ...

no body in this thread, has mentioned the real reason for cold water showers, and why we should take them,

this isnt ritualism, i know alot of apnay are stuck in rituals, but lets not always jump to the idea if you dont know, then it must be a ritual, we are humans, and it is for our benifit to take cold water showers, bhai nand lal ji had a greater reason, and we are the ones who lack faith and gyan.

This DOES NOT MEAN I am saying cold showers are compulsory or anything like that, what the Panj Piyaray say and what others say i do not know. but i did mention the science behind the cold ishnaan, maybe someone can research it on SIkh Sangat........................

no body in this thread, has mentioned the real reason for cold water showers, and why we should take them,

yeah.. pheena ji did... i did...

in response to talikhaak veerjee... personally, i don't wash my hair everyday... i have very LONG and THICK hair... n it wud take forever to dry.. i don't use a blowdryer as it damages the hair.. (yes, i'm very particular about my hair tongue.gif ) so for me i's nah practical to wash my hair everyday... i dun like my hair to be wet all day, head gets itchy...

newhoo... also, for those who say 'gursikhs in history all did kold ishnaan' etc.. etc.. also realize, they din really have much of a choice... like sum1 said earlier.. gotta be 'tyar bar tyar' - it wud take way too much time to heat up water for everybody in the mornin... they din have access to hot wanter tanks like we do, where we can jus turn the nob and hot water comes out..

so.. again.. i's about practicality... cold water wakes ur body up.. wakes ur mind up... i's that simple.. which is why it wud be beneficial to take cold ishnaan in the morning, for amrit vela...

Vaheguruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :s