Sikh Population?

guptveer1469

The govt. figures are never right. When i was in school, we often were given the task of visiting houses and filled forms for population calculation. I will give you an example; this is how we carried out our work. I studied in mohali (near Chandigarh) so will give example of that city. We first formed a group of about two hundered students, chosen by way of voluntary service by school management.

Mohali is divided into sectors and we divided sectors among ourselves and further divided them into lanes for carrying out the survey. Then we would visit a few houses and go straight to some restaurant. There we would sit under A.C sipping colas and filled the rest of forms by way of calculating average of the houses vivted by us.

You can well understand the correctness of these figures, which were used by govt. LOL

By the way, it is well known that the population of Sikhs is never given out as to right figures by Govt. The surveyers are told that they must follow their own judgement while noting down sikhs. Any house where there is majority of 'monas' is taken as Hindu. According to me, if we take the figure by calculating those people who follow guru granth sahib or ten gurus, without looking into amritdhari thing, then the figures would be somewhere between 200 - 250 million.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The govt. figures are never right. When i was in school, we often were given the task of visiting houses and filled forms for population calculation. I will give you an example; this is how we carried out our work. I studied in mohali (near Chandigarh) so will give example of that city. We first formed a group of about two hundered students, chosen by way of voluntary service by school management.

Mohali is divided into sectors and we divided sectors among ourselves and further divided them into lanes for carrying out the survey. Then we would visit a few houses and go straight to some restaurant. There we would sit under A.C sipping colas and filled the rest of forms by way of calculating average of the houses vivted by us.

You can well understand the correctness of these figures, which were used by govt. LOL

By the way, it is well known that the population of Sikhs is never given out as to right figures by Govt. The surveyers are told that they must follow their own judgement while noting down sikhs. Any house where there is majority of 'monas' is taken as Hindu. According to me, if we take the figure by calculating those people who follow guru granth sahib or ten gurus, without looking into amritdhari thing, then the figures would be somewhere between 200 - 250 million.

If the sikhs are grossly undercounted then what about muslims and christians and dalits,whats their population.

the 2001 census put the number of sikhs in the uk as 330,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1530681/Diversity-index-reveals-Britains-ethnic-mix.html

today the figure is probably around 350,000, the 2011 census will confirm exact numbers.

the '750,000-800,000 sikhs in uk' or '1 million sikhs in europe' as claimed by some :) is seriously exaggerated!

Singh Comradz, thats not true. The 2001 cencus included only the legal people if I'm not mistaken. The real figure is anything between 500,000 and 750,000. I prefer 650,000. But even some BBC reports confirm that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/318934.stm

WJKK WJKF Ji

sikh population is 1000.

heard in katha that a few chardikala abhiyaasi singhs asked maharaj guru gobind singh ji how many sikhs he had in the world, and maharaj said on vaisakhi there were only 5 that gave their head, today there are only 1000 willing to give their heads.

Singh Comradz, thats not true. The 2001 cencus included only the legal people if I'm not mistaken. The real figure is anything between 500,000 and 750,000. I prefer 650,000. But even some BBC reports confirm that.

WJKK WJKF Ji

If we go by what you say then that means for every 1 legally settled 'Sikh', there is 1 who is illegal..?

Anyone who lives in the uk can tell you that illegal immigrants form a small minority within the community.

As for people who live legally in the uk, but who have not claimed citizenship, can still take part in the census. Here is a definition of a census directly from the national stats website.

"A census is a count of all people and households in the country. It provides population statistics from a national to neighbourhood level for government, local authorities, business and communities."

http://www.ons.gov.uk/census/index.html note it doesn't refer to only british citizens.

The bbc links you provided are only news reports which aren't backed up by factual evidence.

But as shastr said, in reality there are only a few sikhs in the world

• 1 year later...

SGPC needs to take action and say if you are in such cults, you are not a Sikh. Nihung Singhs in Punjab are currently majorly doing bhang and sharaab. Only a few true Nihung Singhs, like Baba Nihal Singh Ji exist who follow the true way of the Nihung Singh.

Nihung Singhs aren't an off-shoot of Sikhs, they are Sikhs who follow a more martial path with Sri Dasam Granth very strongly in their lives...Why SGPC would add them to a list on par with cults is ridiculous. Instead of doing that they should do something to break away the Nihang Singhs from bhanng and sharaab and lay a line as to what is Gurmat and what isn't.

122 million :o

You people are just making up figures from thin air. There's 30 million of us max.

i think... there are no real sikhs today... maybe i'm being harsh

No bruvs. There's more real Sikhs today then there's been in the last 200 years. Our keshdari fathers and grandfathers, on a whole, drank more than the mona sikh youths today....took more drugs than the mona sikh youths today.....gambled more than the mona sikhs youth today....took marital fidelity less seriously than the mona sikh youths today......and partook in far more hindu rituals than the mona sikh youths today. This is the golden age of sikhi. Where the older generation, having spent 50-60 years practising a strange hybrid of sikhi and hinduism, have finally started learning, from the youth, what real sikhi is.

But anyway, 122 million :o . Be serious fellas, the population of the whole of Punjab (india) is only 25 million, and any fool can see how sikhs a small minority in the population density urban areas of Punjab. So thats like 15 million max in Punjab. You trying to tell me there's 10 Punjabs scattered around the place ?