Bbc Radio 4's Smear Campaign On Sikhs

Sat1176

Dear Miss Kaur

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry you were unhappy with our File on 4 documentary on Sikh militancy. The programme was presented by an experienced and respected Sikh journalist and we were at pains from the outset to make it clear that we were focusing on the activities of a minority of people - so I would hope that nobody would be tempted to draw any broader conclusions about the community in general.

However the issues we reported are of obvious public interest both to Sikhs and to the wider public. I therefore think we were justified in raising the questions we did and in reporting information based on good sources both here and in India. As we said in the programme, the idea of Sikh militants being linked with Islamist groups is "particularly surprising given the traditional animosity between Sikhs and Muslims which was accentuated during the partition of India." However the various agencies and experts that we spoke to, both on and off the record, are adamant that this is what is happening and we had no reason to doubt them.

Yours sincerely,

David Ross

Editor, File on 4

What do I do next?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Miss Kaur

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry you were unhappy with our File on 4 documentary on Sikh militancy. The programme was presented by an experienced and respected Sikh journalist and we were at pains from the outset to make it clear that we were focusing on the activities of a minority of people - so I would hope that nobody would be tempted to draw any broader conclusions about the community in general.

However the issues we reported are of obvious public interest both to Sikhs and to the wider public. I therefore think we were justified in raising the questions we did and in reporting information based on good sources both here and in India. As we said in the programme, the idea of Sikh militants being linked with Islamist groups is "particularly surprising given the traditional animosity between Sikhs and Muslims which was accentuated during the partition of India." However the various agencies and experts that we spoke to, both on and off the record, are adamant that this is what is happening and we had no reason to doubt them.

Yours sincerely,

David Ross

Editor, File on 4

What do I do next?

Reply with this : http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=329776

and also to Complain to OFCOM

The group on Facebook now has over 1000 members and is growing fast so word is spreading we have to keep this going

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8572928795

Please join and add others to

Also Puppet PM Continues Demonization of Sikhs

http://www.panthic.org/news/131/ARTICLE/3955/2008-03-13.html

Other sikhs were interviews for the programme but as their views did not seem like 'terrorism' their interviews were not included in the BBC programme.

Exclusive statements of these Sikhs will also be up soon,

Please continue to complain to the BBC and OFCOM and add others to this group

Got this reply from the BBC after stating that their original response did not address any of the points raised.

Dear Mr Singh

Thanks for your further e-mail.

I'm sorry you were unhappy with the editor's response to your complaint

but whilst I appreciate you continue to have concerns with this particular

programme, if you wish to pursue this complaint further, you can

contact the BBC's Editorial Complaints Unit who will independently investigate

your complaint. You can write to them at the following address:

Editorial Complaints Unit

BBC

Room 5168

White City

201 Wood Lane

London W12 7TQ

Alternatively you can email the Unit at the address: ecu@bbc.co.uk

Please note that any complaints submitted via email must include your

postal address as all responses will continue to be issued via letter.

Whether or not you choose to pursue your complaint with the ECU please

be

assured your further concerns have been registered.

Regards

Gemma McAleer

BBC Complaints

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article846177.ece

Britain Sikh terror cell warning

Published: 26 Feb 2008

BRITAIN has been warned of a new terror threat from Sikh extremists linked with al-Qaeda.

Experts in the US and India have told authorities they are watching a handful of British-based Sikhs who they say have trained at terror camps in Pakistan which have connections to Islamic extremists.

They tell tonight’s File on Four on Radio Four that they fear the radicals may be planning terrorist acts in their fight for an independent Sikh homeland.