The Police

Jeevan

WJKK

WJKF

Thank you for your replies keep them coming in. In the meantime read another article on the Police:-

BBC NEWS

Pcs resign after trips to seaside

Two police officers have been forced to resign over claims they took patrol cars on seaside trips while on duty.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said two other Gwent officers were fined and a fifth resigned ahead of the conduct hearing.

Newspapers reported the Pcs were caught when a vehicle broke down on the way to Weston-super-Mare, after previous visits to Barry Island and Porthcawl.

Gwent Police said officers must face "the consequence of their actions".

It was claimed colleagues dubbed the group, four men and a woman, "the seaside five".

The IPCC said the officers have not been subject to a criminal charge.

According to newspaper reports, the unnamed constables dared each other to see how far they could travel away from their station, reaching resorts including Barry Island and Porthcawl - both outside the Gwent force area.

We will not tolerate any behaviour that falls below the standard expected and required to deliver a top quality service to the public of Gwent

Gwent Police

It is understood the matter came to the notice of senior officers after their vehicle broke down while the group had been trying to reach Weston, the other side of the Bristol channel in Somerset.

All four officers at the IPCC hearing were charged with behaving in a way which was likely to bring discredit to the police service.

Three were charged with being neither open nor truthful and one officer was charged with failing to treat a member of the public with courtesy and respect.

IPCC commissioner Tom Davies said: "This investigation has shown that the public can have confidence that the IPCC and the police service will vigorously tackle misconduct.

"Gwent Police has dealt with the officers' behaviour following the IPCC managed investigation and is to be commended for its willingness to tackle a very small number of officers who have abused the trust put in them.

"I will now ensure that the investigation concludes with a look at management processes within the force to ensure that appropriate lessons are learnt."

The IPCC will not be naming these officers as they have not been subject to a criminal charge.

The officers who were fined will each lose 13 days pay.

Gwent Police said the resignation of one of the male officers last week was not related to the investigation.

In a statement, the force said it did not normally comment on internal matters but was "mindful that the public's confidence in Gwent Police could be compromised by a lack of comment".

It read: "Our officers, just like employees of other organisations, must face the consequences of their actions.

"We will not tolerate any behaviour that falls below the standard expected and required to deliver a top quality service to the public of Gwent.

"As has been demonstrated in this case, any behaviour that threatens this delivery and the public's confidence in the force will be dealt with swiftly and fairly."

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/wales/7267084.stm

Published: 2008/02/27 14:30:09 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just keep ure shastar

stay together as one communitry, stay tight knit

dont worry about the police

who r they? theyre nothing, jus humans

if its a gud person, show respect

if not dont. no one derseves respect for nothing, but thas wat cops think they deserve

respect while they treat others like nothing

keep ure shastar and stay together. no one gives anything to u, u hav to take it

by being "obiediant". dont think theyll think nof u as better or something

theyll only resepct us fully when they kno they cant mess with us

It's all very well sitting on a forum saying that the police are nothing, don't be scared of them etc...

But it's hardly the message to be sending out to the younger posters on this site. The police are there to help us.

Personally i'd say that whether the police in your area is good or not depends which side of the law your on. As good people, we should never need to come into contact with the police (of course i have no idea how things work in USA / Canada etc)... unless of course we are reporting a crime.

There are always going to be bad examples of any organisations, our own community has good Sikhs and bad Sikhs. There are good Doctors, and bad Doctors (Harold Shipman) in the medical profession. And likewise we have some very good police men/women and also some corrupt ones.

However they are the people that we turn to when were in danger or need help, I was recently a victim of a horrible crime, and i can honestly say that the support that i recieved from the police and CID was fantastic.

But i've no doubt that the criminals awaiting trial have a different view point to me. :@

Just a final note... I believe that every one deserves respect, unless of course they do or say somthing which goes against your (Sikhi) principals - they then need to earn your respect. Give respect and you'll get it back. :)

police in north london r racist. wen drivin i get stoped all the time (cuz of my apperiance... probably)(and its evident to note i only got 2 minors on my driving test). my cars been searched twice. At uni, we were discussing the met and racism, majority of black students who were present also felt strongly about the police being racist. ive also heard cops in east london r racist - generally speaking.

Agree with anom, peel police is racist, once a cop went into a gurdwara with shoes on and couldn't care less of the customs, singhs almost got into a fight with him, he had to get out to avoid trouble.

My personal accounter with Peel Police left a bitter taste but I didn't have any major problems with em.

im telling this tot he yourh, and i want them to get the message

our community need to stick together and be powerful, then the cops will respect u

no one gives u ANYTHING, u have to take it

i used tohonestly think if u repsect cops theuyll give it bak

thas nopt true

they think they have mor epower, and its up to u show them thas not true

we never in our hisotry listned to the authority before, y start now?

obisuly canada is a great country and i lov eit, i was born here

it has many great things to offer, but peel police is 90 % racist, especially the younger cops

ive met many good cops, but my point is this to evrone

regardless of a cop or not

they derseve the same amount of respect as anyone else

if they show u disresepct, u show it bak worse

if they show u rseopct, u give them more in return

we kno how to live, our gurus have taught us

our commuinity jusdt need to show that we WILL stick together no mattwr what, and that we can handle our own communties problems

once we become a tight kit community, then they cantbother us

but unity is they key

a cop is normal person in a uniform

there are 10000 of them and over a million of us

im sik of seeing peopke being searched( apnai), and im sik of police looking at us in a bad way liker theyre tougher or somehting. these guys were bullied in skool, and now need to prove something lol

if they swear at u, swear at them even more

if they hit u, hit them bak worse

if they shoot u with a pistol, have an ak 47

if they respect u, given them 10 times as much respect

our gurus made us saint sldiers, not slaves. Dont ever let anyone push u around

if we stick together they can never show us disrepct, which many do

my main point

show respect to them like ny other perosn, apnai have a bad habit of going hanji je hanjipolice sahib, no more

walk wit some pride and rmeebr who u are

but on another hand, there are many gud cops of course. and i hope they will contunie to do their job properly, and take people who are actually unsafe for society. i have a uncle whos a cop, and he does his job properly, i guess

there aremany gud cops, and the gud ones shud deifintley be given respect as any human deserves. if anyone gets rid of a rapost or a pedophile, they shud be hailed as gud people, and of course that included cops

but our peole need to stop beiong so scared

WJKK

WJKF

Does anyone have first, second or third hand experience of what took place nearly 30 years ago, I think we as the Sikh Nation should log the experiences of that day. It always hasn't always been easy living in the West particularly when the Police on occasions have behaved rather like the Panjab Police?

I hope next year 30 years on, we as the Sikh Community hold a Remembrance Service for Blair Peach!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2523959.stm

1979: Teacher dies in Southall race riots

A 33-year-old man has died from head injuries after a bloody battle broke out between police and demonstrators in Southall.

The fighting began when thousands of protesters gathered to demonstrate against a National Front campaign meeting.

The extreme right-wing organisation had chosen Southall Town Hall to hold its St George's Day election meeting. The area has one of the country's biggest Asian communities.

It was a case of the boot going in - there was no attempt to arrest anybody

Martin Gerrald, Anti-Nazi League protestor

Police had sealed off the area, and anti-racism demonstrators trying to make their way to the town hall were blocked.

In the confrontation that followed, more than 40 people, including 21 police, were injured, and 300 were arrested. Bricks and bottles were hurled at police, who described the rioting as the most violent they have handled in London.

Among the demonstrators was Blair Peach, a New Zealand-born member of the Anti-Nazi League. A teacher for special needs children in east London, he was a committed anti-racism activist.

During an incident in a side street 100 yards from the town hall, he was seriously injured and collapsed, blood running down his face from serious head injuries. He died later in hospital.

Witnesses said his injuries were caused by police baton blows. Martin Gerrald, one of the protestors, was nearby Mr Peach at the time.

"Mr Peach was hit twice in the head with police truncheons and left unconscious," he said. "The police were wielding truncheons and riot shields. It was a case of the boot just going in - there was no attempt to arrest anybody."

'Excessively violent' charge

Another witness, 24-year-old Parminder Atwal, took the injured teacher into his house and called an ambulance.

He said, "I saw a policeman hit a man on the head as he sat on the pavement. The man tried to get up, fell back and then reeled across the road to my house."

The Anti-Nazi League claim Mr Peach bore the brunt of a "brutal" and "excessively violent" police baton charge.

A spokesman for Scotland Yard said it was impossible to comment on the death until a full-scale inquiry had been completed.

In Context

No police officer has ever been charged with the alleged attack on Blair Peach, although 11 eyewitnesses reported seeing him struck by police.

An internal Metropolitan Police inquiry began on the day after his death, headed by Commander John Cass. Its findings were never made public.

The inquest recorded a verdict of death by misadventure. The verdict was greeted with dismay, and 79 MPs called for a public inquiry into the case. The request was turned down.

The Peach family gained access to parts of the Cass report in 1986. It named six officers, and in 1989 the Metropolitan Police reached an out-of-court settlement with Mr Peach's brother.

Celia Stubbs, Mr Peach's partner at the time of the Southall riots, continues to campaign for a public investigation into his death.