Hair

Guest _Rigel_

Guest Guest

My mum did see the dr when I was little but he would say give it time. Thats because I was born early via an emergency ceasarean since I stopped breathing :BL: So basically I was supposed to be a bit behind the other babies. Also the dr's really cannot do much about hair cos they don't understand the hair cycle. Apparently its too complex for them to fully understand how its linked to the body's inner balance.

About the skin - I was told to do what works. Oiling really works for me but thats only solving the problem from the outside... like there must be something about diet, certain foods to eat etc. Also sherlsurj I wash using Johnson's Baby stuff. I think the pH is neutral in that. Anyways don't worry, kinda thort someone would tell me some desi thing I could try out.

Anyways for the original poster. I am really sorry I hijacked your thread!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a natural shampoo normal brands have to many chemicals in it which might be causing the problem, i use one called naked which is 97% natural and it works better than any other shampoo ive tried. if your skins dry use a good moisturiser as opposed to oil because it absorbs into your skin better. Also applying oil to your hair all the time can make it weak because your over conditioning it and it also loses its natural oils so cut back on that a lil bit.

Get a natural shampoo normal brands have to many chemicals in it which might be causing the problem, i use one called naked which is 97% natural and it works better than any other shampoo ive tried. if your skins dry use a good moisturiser as opposed to oil because it absorbs into your skin better. Also applying oil to your hair all the time can make it weak because your over conditioning it and it also loses its natural oils so cut back on that a lil bit.

i use that shampoo aswel.........smells sooo nice :lol:

For those of you who feel they lack hair:

Try a shampoo called Minoxitil (Regain is the brand name). it's very expensive (£25/month) but it works by increasing blood supply to the scalp. Contrary to a previous post, dermatologists know a lot about the hair cycle because it isn't actually that hard to observe a cycle. manipulating it is harder simply due to the turn over rate of hair follicles. The vasodilator effects with cause irritation to the scalp (it may feel a tad itchy) but it improves symptoms of hair loss in about 50% of patients. It is only effective as long as you use it, so if u stop, it stops working. you may find it takes 3-4 months to work because the Telogen phase of hair growth lasts 3 months or so. i won't go into what that is because we all have wikipedia and most of us don't care!

with regard to gel making your hair more thick and coarse, tbh, it's a myth that natural products help. only the first 2cm or so of hair (from the root) is actually "smooth a silky). the rest of it is incredibly coarse, rough and abrasive due to dead, disorganised fragments being non-linear. it kinda looks like the Taipai Tower (lol). google an image of a hair follicle, u'll see what i mean.

what this does mean, is that it boils down to genetics - how u lay down hair. saying "my friend used xyz and ended up with a hard fluffy or whatever dhari" is a bit pointless unless you had two genetically identical twins and compared the effects of one product on them.

For those of you who feel they lack hair:

Try a shampoo called Minoxitil (Regain is the brand name). it's very expensive (£25/month) but it works by increasing blood supply to the scalp. Contrary to a previous post, dermatologists know a lot about the hair cycle because it isn't actually that hard to observe a cycle. manipulating it is harder simply due to the turn over rate of hair follicles. The vasodilator effects with cause irritation to the scalp (it may feel a tad itchy) but it improves symptoms of hair loss in about 50% of patients. It is only effective as long as you use it, so if u stop, it stops working. you may find it takes 3-4 months to work because the Telogen phase of hair growth lasts 3 months or so. i won't go into what that is because we all have wikipedia and most of us don't care!

with regard to gel making your hair more thick and coarse, tbh, it's a myth that natural products help. only the first 2cm or so of hair (from the root) is actually "smooth a silky). the rest of it is incredibly coarse, rough and abrasive due to dead, disorganised fragments being non-linear. it kinda looks like the Taipai Tower (lol). google an image of a hair follicle, u'll see what i mean.

what this does mean, is that it boils down to genetics - how u lay down hair. saying "my friend used xyz and ended up with a hard fluffy or whatever dhari" is a bit pointless unless you had two genetically identical twins and compared the effects of one product on them.

oops, i forgot to mention, you can also try a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. It's called Finasteride. It is used to treat prostate cancer but a lower does has proven incredibly effective against hair loss. it only works it u use it BEFORE you lose your hair (!) and you must keep on taking it.

i don't know about its use in women, but in men it doesn't have very many side effects. It does lower your risk of developing mild-mod prostate cancer but if u do get a prostate cancer it is more likely to be advanced. this isn't to do with the drug. it is because if u look at 100 people with prostate cancer, say 20 of them have it bad. this = 20%.

if u look at 100 ppl on Finasteride, if only 20 of them got cancer now but they all had it bad because everyone else with mild cancer of the prostate had to inadvertantly treated due to the finasteride they were taking, statistically it'd look like 100% of everyone who got prostate cancer on finasteride got the advanced form. it's kinda not really accurate as the total number of ppl with the cancer was actually less, but the severity was the same but proportionally it appeared more.

just a nugget of info. see a dermatologist and they could possibly help

Guest Guest

Thanks for the info....I think I am okay with the little amount of hair I have. I just like to tell people now and again that my hair is thin but it doesn't bother me, I quite like being different. :D

Thanks for the info....I think I am okay with the little amount of hair I have. I just like to tell people now and again that my hair is thin but it doesn't bother me, I quite like being different. :D

:o ) i would make one suggestion - consider how you tie your hair.

if you look at singhs with a pugh, you'll realise that most of them (after a few years of wearing one) with have very thin patches of hair around their temples and where the hairline starts around the forehead. this is because there is a constant pulling force acting on these areas when they twist their hair to form the joora.

this is constantly pulling hair out of the follicle and into the shaft. hair on your head actually sits in the subdermis (fat). the shaft sits in the dermis (this thin part lies between the epidermis - the skin you can see on the outside and the fat below). what happens with such forces and tensions is that the follicle (root) from which all new hairs of that strand are produced, shifts up ino the dermis from the subdermis. here, it's quite weak, but it can remain here for about 3 months before that hair drops off. after a long time, the force is so sustained that the hair follicle stops growing.

the hair at the back of your head (occiput) don't usually suffer from any hairloss (u'll know this to be true when you consider bald men, who're rarely are bald at the backs of their heads). only the hair on the crown is affected. if u're tying a gutth (platt) the tension forces are going to be quite high around the sides of your heads and the top (parietal, frontal and temporal - google it). this will lead to hair thinning in susceptable ppl! similar principle applies if u just tie a joora at the back of your head tight enough.

hope that helps

Guest Guest

awww I feel bad for hijacking Singh's thread. I think my hair is fine not thick. So its not that I lose hair. Its just thin...

Like they say.. its good to have variety in the gene pool. I actually cover my hair so no plait, joora sits in optimum position...lol...by this I mean its covering the plane where all the bones fuse ie the baby soft spot..Tradition has it that the Guru told us to tie Joora in only this position. So I don't do this bottom of ure head business..

I was just moaning the other day cos I got up and thought my skin is all dry, I have patches everywhere, have to oil in the morning and cream and all this stuff and I was feel miserable thinking why me???

And then I was feeling more down cos I had to be born early and I never had hair in nursery and so I was the weird kid and then my mum was upset thinking I was not gonna have hair. Finally I got hair and now family mock me cos its thin. I just wanna fit in :(

However in hindsight I made it out to be a bigger problem than it is. I am over it. This is because the Guru wants people to be happy with what they have and not go into this I have more or less hair.

So I feel bad since ure advice is good but I like being me and I reached another stage - I feel happy with how I am. Its like how some people naturally don't grow a beard...just a gotee especially the chineese. The Guru wud have told them its fine, they wudn't need to apply extra hormonal stuff. We shudn't change ourselves to fit with majority - instead we shud be happy as we are. About my dry skin its not too bad. Only flakes sometimes...again varies with the season. Generally if I have not drank water, sat in air conditioned/heated places it peels. Otherwise its k...I just felt like moaning the other day... :2: