Can Sikhs Marry Someone Closer In Their Family

ISW

thats disgusting!cousins r like sisters/bro's even more distant fam is blood dnt be so disgusting bloody hell.

I think she mentioned "not direct relations". This could mean cousins via marriage only and not through blood relation.

Eg: Your brothers wives sister or I should say your sister in laws sister.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WJKK

WJKF

Can anyone tell me is sikhs can marry someone closer in their family. Is it ok to marry someone in ur family. Please help me with this.

Thanks in advance

you mean incest :6 errrrr thats just nasty mixing blood causes so many diseases

Tarrandeeeeeeep bhenji. Clearly the original poster's mind does not work in the same way as yours does. We're different. One person thinks it's an innocent question and wants to learn whereas for another the answer might seem obvious and the question silly. But that's no reason to put them down. At least they want to learn and want to do what's right. If we push them away and then hear that they've done something which we consider to be immoral, we are also partly to blame because we had the chance to help them. These chances don't come every minute of every day and whenever they do it's an opportunity which Guru Ji gives us to share the little we know with other Sikhs. We need to make the most of the little tests.

I'd emphasise the point that S1ngh made.. I know people who have gotten married to extremely distant cousins, several times removed and not direct relations. In that case it might be that you don't know the person at all, have never met, and do not really consider them as your family. Would that be so wrong? Is that what the OP is referring to? Or does he/she mean like brother/sister/first cousin?

My approach may have been harsh because i was shocked at the question - (the same as other members!) but i did not 'put him down' u guys r acting as if i swore at him or something?

ahh i cant be bothered.

gurfateh jee

an interesting thing i just read somewhere

all people right now, in each corner of the world, have 1 common ancestor.

1 man who lived 60,000 years ago...

lol

but i think marriage to cousins not allowed

even far family NO NO

you cant marry a girl/boy from

the village of your father (so automatically yours to)

the village of your mother (nanake)

the village of your paternal grandmother (so your dad's nanake)

the village of your maternal grandmother (so your mom's nanake)

anyone with the same surname as your father (even if he/she lived in a distant village)

anyone with the same surname as your mother (even if he/she lived in a distant village)

the sons/daughters of your BHUA

the sons/daughters of your MASSI

the sons/daughters of your MAMA

the sons/daughters of your CHACHA/TAYA

and direct relation like bro and sis (TOO DISGUSTING)

Everything except the mentioned are allowed

BUT, i am not sure, you can also marry relatives of your PHUPHAR and MASSAR, since they are not really your blood.

hope it helps

Gurfateh.

I remember reading about how Sikhs shouldn't marry someone with the same great-grandfather as them.

Remember, there was a point where there were only a thousand or so Sikhs in the world. Most of us would probably come from the same 1000, with some coming from converts after that point.

In terms of genetics, I think they have narrowed it down to seven women from which we all came. In our cells, we have mitochondria - organelles that produce energy. The genetic material in each mitochondrion comes directly from the egg, unaltered - ie the DNA in your mitochondria is all from your mother, whereas the DNA contained within the nucleus of your cells comes from both parents. Essentially, the mDNA in you and your siblings' cells come from your mother. Her mDNA comes from her mother. If you extrapolate this, it comes down to seven types of mDNA - so seven lineages.