Is Drinking Alcohol Bad?

now i could get my head blown off for saying this............(oh well what new :p )

but i dont think theres is such a thing as

Drinking is not acceptable in Sikhism.
or anything else being NOT acceptable in SikhISM or sikhi

Drink..........drink as much as you want but be prepared for the consequences of your actions..................if you wanna get to waheguru and lead a good life..................do good things, surrounding yourself in positive energy and looking after your body to help you on this journey...........all these things go had in hand.................

However if you are not inclined to Walk Gods path.............God wont love you any less, You your self have written you fate with your own hands when you parpake in action KNWOING that is it the wrong one............drinking, adultery, drugs, etc....

The rest is up to u..

:)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now i could get my head blown off for saying this............

JustME's statement was a bit harsh. Many alcoholics usually have a story as to why they started and often it was a bereavement, divorce etc...where unfortunately alcohol was used as a numbing effect and there was nothing else to stop them. If you know anyone who is alcoholic then help them or offer that help - the love of a Gursikh does not remain within the safety and comfort zone of the sadh-sangat. Like Guruji, it reaches out.

Talking about alcohol specifically and it being forbidden in Sikhi, as far as I know there is only one rahetnama which specifically mentions alcohol.

The rahetnama of Bhai Desa Singh says,

"Another person's wife, gambling, false speech, theft and alcohol, they are the five vices of the world. The one who avoids them is a Singh."

But has anyone read the original and not the edited internet versions? The next line goes on to say,

"If going to the battle, then one may drink alcohol. At any other time do not even mention the word."

(Check out the original in the Punjabi book Rahetname by P.S.Padam)

now i could get my head blown off for saying this............(oh well what new :p )

but i dont think theres is such a thing as

Drinking is not acceptable in Sikhism.
or anything else being NOT acceptable in SikhISM or sikhi

Drink..........drink as much as you want but be prepared for the consequences of your actions..................if you wanna get to waheguru and lead a good life..................do good things, surrounding yourself in positive energy and looking after your body to help you on this journey...........all these things go had in hand.................

However if you are not inclined to Walk Gods path.............God wont love you any less, You your self have written you fate with your own hands when you parpake in action KNWOING that is it the wrong one............drinking, adultery, drugs, etc....

The rest is up to u..

:)

the things in bold are in essence the teachings of sikhism (sikhi for the freshy). therefore drinking alcohol is not the practise of a good sikh whose aim is getting to waheguru. maybe i came across the wrong way lol.

stupid question.

That's not very nice at all!

You imply the questioner is stupid with such a lame and non constructive responce. Anyone can come to this forum and ask what they want. Read his question - he is asking you to give evidence or examples of how drinking alcohol is bad in Sikhism. Guru Nanak Dev ji enjoyed debates and conversations with the sadhus and fakirs - it is a way to learn, share knowledge and respect the opinion of others around you.