Sick Of It!

I am certain that most of us will witness this change in our lifetimes.

Lol. Singh do u think that? i gotta say i disagree. Possibly in our kids, kids, kids, lifetime but not now. U guys wouldnt even be debatin bout it if i didnt start up the thread! lmao. Anywayz, No1 is doing anythin about it!!! look at how many of our elders disagree with caste, but are not doing anythin about it, and then funny how they 4get caste is wrong wen it comes to their daughters weddin!! lol, dont worry man i werent really gonna punch him, even tho he does deserve it!! And itz not only ramgrias that have all that stuff at a Gurdwara, nearly every Gurdwara is the same that is based on caste!! every1s forgot the meanin of Khalsa!!

I think we will witness changes in our lifetime, particularly as the offspring of the more influential Ramgharia clan members are not really interested in running Gurdwaras and aren't so focused on Sikhi. I think you will see a gradual takeover by more focused youth, even if they are initially from Ramgharia clan names, who will eventually drop the Ramgharia label. I'd give it another 30 years in the UK.

In my view the youth tend to have a realistic and honourable view about handling Guru Ji's golak and would feel more accountable for their actions. At least that's my optimistic view of my generation!!

Thats a really good and valid point!! But y cant we see these changes NOW? izit really that much to ask to change the name of a Gurdwara and ask them not to be based on caste?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice to see more Singhniah coming into committees as well...............the existing ones are scarce, and many are quite old.......................how refreshing would it be for young, middle ages bibiah to come and bash some sikhi sense into the policial minded nonsense that is slowly taking over our gurghars.........

I guess we need to be the change like the origional poster is trying to do..........Good luck veera :)

1st of all, plz 4give me Sangat as i am talking out of anger here and obv anger is bad 4 an Amritdhaari.

Basically i went to one of my local Gurdware (rahmgaria Gurdwara) and i was reading the "rules and regualtions" of joining the comittee. At the top it said "must follow the teachings of the 10 Gurus" then under that it said "must b ramgaria by birth" and it is for that reason i was not accepted in the comittee, for i put "Khalsa" there instead of ramgaria! I have sent them countless letters trying to get them to change the name of the Gurdwara, but they've all seemed to find their way in2 da bin. I put up sum pictures of Shaheeds on the walls and got shouted at by nearly everyone there because it was not a "Sikh thing to do". No one talks to me anymore because i wear a Dhumalla and not a kenyian Pag (and its allll my family that go there!!! cousins unlces etc) every1 is going by caste there. Even the Gyanis. Im at this point where this is really gettin me so mad and i feel like hitting the pardan!!

I then noticed while looking on the web for other Gurdware around the country that only 1 had the word "Khalsa" in it. And about 50 odd had ramgaria!!!!! I know its up to us youth to change all this but y is nothing happenin?? I want to start some sort of campaign to change all the names of the Gurdware in england to something the Guru's would approve of!!!

Sangats views?

The ramgharias are near extinction. With the global shortage of starch, the species are collapsing from exhaustion having to fold and tie their dastaars every day. The only thing that can save the ramgharia nation from loosing its cultural heritage is a discovery of infinite starch powder.

totally uncalled for making fun of a group, how bwt if some1 dissd u would u like that, i think not

Guest peacemaker
nice to see more Singhniah coming into committees as well...............the existing ones are scarce, and many are quite old.......................how refreshing would it be for

Why are you hung up on someone's gender and age, for that matter? What difference does it make if a male or female comes in, 18 years old or 80 years old, so long as the job gets done properly?! Let them banish these stupid rules to the fiery pits of hell!

[quote name='Rajdeep

The ramgharias are near extinction. With the global shortage of starch, the species are collapsing from exhaustion having to fold and tie their dastaars every day. The only thing that can save the ramgharia nation from loosing its cultural heritage is a discovery of infinite starch powder.

totally uncalled for making fun of a group, how bwt if some1 dissd u would u like that, i think not

What other cultural heritage do they have? What makes groups of people so distinct that they need to open a specific Guru Ghars? I actually grew up attending a Ramgharia Gurdwara as a child and can honestly say that I didn't know it was a "different" Gurdwara until someone at secondary school pointed it out. They read the same bani, spoke the same language, ate the same food and even looked like other Sikhs. So what made them so different that they felt the need to separate themselves.

Prejudices are our own created problems and we can’t blame a group of people from isolating themselves when we have collectively caused the isolation ourselves. I have heard the dirtiest comments about “Chudas and Chamars” come out of so called Gurmukhs mouths. I have sat in “Panthic” groups where people have said comments like “never trust a tarkaan” or “dodgy patras”. With attitudes like this, I don’t blame groups of people going and setting up different Gurdwaras.

I may joke about the dress sense of the older ramgharia committee members and I apologise to whoever felt offended. But until we keep up our prejudices and stick to our own jathas or castes then we might as well keep promoting the stereotypes,

me 2 i used 2 go ramgarhia gurdwaras thinking its the same until my friends told me.

no idea i admit i have so calld ramgarhia origins but i dnt tell people cz i dnt believe in caste im a singh lol

personally i agree a few people have said to me also ''dont be friends with a tharkhan or tlak to them their weird''

and about the committie its a joke, i saw one with a trimmd dhari last time i went was bre shockd they allow shoes in the langar hall they need 2 changee their ways

and ok this bit mayyyy offend a few of you sorry butttt

namdharis, ramgarhia gurdwarsas let namdharis do kirtan etc when they have been excumicated out if the panth but i asked my friend he said they were never in the panth because they have their own gurus and they cant be sikhs

nice to see more Singhniah coming into committees as well...............the existing ones are scarce, and many are quite old.......................how refreshing would it be for

Why are you hung up on someone's gender and age, for that matter? What difference does it make if a male or female comes in, 18 years old or 80 years old, so long as the job gets done properly?! Let them banish these stupid rules to the fiery pits of hell!

now now shanti daer stop throwing ur dummy out of ur pram...... :p im not hung up on age, elderly bibiah are coming to the end of their "reign" so to speak so obviously more younger bibiah need to come in to carry on the trait, ALSO im not hung up on gnder, so to speak but im very much for equality whether that be across, age, caste and gender

:)

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

We are required as Sikhs to be activist. To counter the status quo, where it is wrong, is part of being a Sikh. There is talk of 30 years or 3 lifetimes. It can be helpful to have a vision. However, part of any principled vision is living according to our responsibility in the present. Our first desired outcome is the right action itself.

If you or I am not changing the world overnight, lets each do what we can in a small way. That will change the world. We may create the drops that become the backdrop for a wave. No one will know, and there will be no medals.

A few may lead a Sikh organization toward change, but the driving force behind them will be the foot soldiers that humbly, intelligently, and fearlessly express views and act outside a comfort zone… we must not be silent where something is wrong. I may encounter resistance and see no measurable progress, but my first desired outcome is the right action itself.

If one is able to measure or plan goals as per the latest inspiration in the bookstore, great. But no one will write a better book on basics of change than the gift of sikhi...chardikala, savalakh… humbly and fearlessly live change.

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

We are required as Sikhs to be activist. To counter the status quo, where it is wrong, is part of being a Sikh. There is talk of 30 years or 3 lifetimes. It can be helpful to have a vision. However, part of any principled vision is living according to our responsibility in the present. Our first desired outcome is the right action itself.

If you or I am not changing the world overnight, lets each do what we can in a small way. That will change the world. We may create the drops that become the backdrop for a wave. No one will know, and there will be no medals.

A few may lead a Sikh organization toward change, but the driving force behind them will be the foot soldiers that humbly, intelligently, and fearlessly express views and act outside a comfort zone… we must not be silent where something is wrong. I may encounter resistance and see no measurable progress, but my first desired outcome is the right action itself.

If one is able to measure or plan goals as per the latest inspiration in the bookstore, great. But no one will write a better book on basics of change than the gift of sikhi...chardikala, savalakh… humbly and fearlessly live change.

Some seriously wise words being said here!!

1st of all, plz 4give me Sangat as i am talking out of anger here and obv anger is bad 4 an Amritdhaari.

Basically i went to one of my local Gurdware (rahmgaria Gurdwara) and i was reading the "rules and regualtions" of joining the comittee. At the top it said "must follow the teachings of the 10 Gurus" then under that it said "must b ramgaria by birth" and it is for that reason i was not accepted in the comittee, for i put "Khalsa" there instead of ramgaria!

hmm interesting, how does one prove their ancestory to Ramgharia misl?

Is there some kind of documentation. I could put being descended from Ramgharia misl, do you think they would let me join? lol