Kesh

Taken from: www.Sikhism101.com

Why don't Sikhs cut their hair?

The unshorn hair (Kesh) is part of nature and God's system. Sikhs maintains long unshorn hair ('Kesh') as an act of acceptance of God's Will and living as nature intended, sustaining the individual in higher consciousness. The unshorn hair is regarded with the highest importance in the Sikh religion and is one of the basic requirements for a Sikh. Dishonouring one's hair is one of the four Bajjar Kurehats (cardinal sins), which the Guru has told a Sikh never to commit. A Sikh doesn't disfigure their hair from head to toe because of the Guru's order to maintain the sanctity of the Kesh. Nothing else matters. A Sikh does what their Guru tells them to do.

ਮਾਈ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਸਾਧਾ ॥

ਬਚਨੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਜੋ ਪੂਰੈ ਕਹਿਓ ਮੈ ਛੀਕਿ ਗਾਂਠਰੀ ਬਾਧਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

"O mother, True, True True is the Lord, and True, True, True is the Guru.

The Word, which the Perfect Guru has spoken, I have tied to my robe. ||1||Pause||"

(Ang 1204)

The Janam Saakhis quote Guru Nanak Dev Ji saying:

ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤ ਰੱਬ ਦੀ, ਭੰਨੇ ਬੇਈਮਾਨ।

ਦਰਗਹਿ ਢੋਈ ਨਾ ਮਿਲੇ, ਕਾਫ਼ਰ, ਕੁੱਤਾ, ਸ਼ੈਤਾਨ।

"God has made the human perfect, but the dishonourable destroy it.

They will find no place in the Court of God, like the unbeliever, dog and Satanist."

Bhai Sahib Singh (one of the original Panj Pyaare), records Guru Gobind Singh Ji's given discipline in a Rehitnaama (Order of discipline):

ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਛਾਪ ਸਿਰ ਕੇਸ ਕੀ ਪਾਹੁਲ, ਦੇਇ ਉਤਾਰ ਸੋ ਬੇਮੁਖ ਜਾਨਹੁ।

ਬੇਟੇ ਕੋ ਬੰਧੁ ਕੋ ਛਾਪ ਮੁੰਡਾਵਤ, ਜਮ ਦੁਖ ਭੋਗ ਕੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਪਛਾਨਹੁ।

"The Guru's stamp is Kesh and (Khandi di) Pahul, one who removes (their Kesh) is known as an apostate (bemukh). One who shaves the stamp (of the Guru) of their child (i.e. cut their children's hair), realise that person will suffer a terrible death and known as a ghost."

The Kesh act as the identity for a Sikh as well being a spiritual and practical tool that helps the body. Guru Nanak Sahib Ji, the founder of the Sikh Path, followed the ancient practice of the sages, prophets, and holy mystics of keeping the hair unshorn because keeping it in a natural state is regarded as living in harmony with the Will of Vaheguru.

The biological functions and benefits of human body hair are for example:

* The hair on our head protects the skull and brain

* The hair on our body acts an insulator and is linked to our nervous system

* Our eyebrows prevent water going into your eyes

* Facial hair absorb ether energy

* The hair under our armpits prevent friction and irritation when we move our arms

Bhai Desa Singh, records Guru Gobind Singh Ji's given discipline in a Rehitnaama (Order of discipline):

ਜਬ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਸਬ ਸਿ੍ਰਸਿਟ ਉਪਾਈ । ਤਬ ਹੀ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹਿ ਬਨਾਈ ।

ਤਨ ਇਸ ਕੇ ਸਿਰ ਕੇਸ ਜੁ ਦੀਨੋ । ਸੋ ਇਹ ਤਨ ਸ਼ਿੰਗਾਰਿਹ ਕੀਨੋ ।

ਦਾੜ੍ਹਾ ਮੁੱਛ ਸਿਰ ਕੇਸ ਬਨਾਈ । ਹੈ ਇਹ ਦਿ੍ੜ ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਰਜ਼ਾਈ ।

ਮੇਟ ਰਜ਼ਾਇ ਜੁ ਸੀਸ ਮੁੰਡਾਵੈ । ਕਹੁ ਤੇ ਜਗ ਕੈਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਵੈ ।

"God created the whole universe and then he fashioned the human body. He gave man a beard, moustaches and hair on the head. He who submits to His Will steadfastly adheres to them. They who deny His Will how will they find God in this world?"

As well as having biological functions and benefits, the hair is sacred due to the fact that spiritual energy abides within each and every pore of hair on the body. The hairs are like electrical wires, which preserve, carry and vibrate energy. When one chants & meditates the Divine- Name (Naam), each hair vibrates. Sikhs do not forcibly or intentionally remove any hair from the body but maintain clean hair with proper washing; tying and keeping them covered are requirements for a Sikh.

Gurbaani (the Divine Word) says:

ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਮਹਿ ਬਸਹਿ ਮੁਰਾਰਿ ॥

"On each and every hair, the Lord abides."

(Ang 344)

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

"The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body."

(Ang 941)

----- NAILS & HAIR -----

Someone could argue why do Sikhs cut their nails when they don't cut their hair. Firstly, nails and the importance of hair cannot be compared. The hair is sacred that have a spiritual importance whereas the nails merely have biological function. Secondly, nails naturally remain short as they are brittle and rigid as a result of which they break off easily. A Sikh is required to do seva (selfless service) with his or her hands. When a individual uses their hands to do selfless service of washing up dirty dishes, cleaning shoes, sweeping the floor, cooking and serving food then there is no possibility for nails to remain long.

----- BHAI TARU SINGH JI - SCALPED ALIVE -----

A Sikh lives in the grace and glory of God. The Kesh are magnificent. Biologically, physically and spiritually they do so much for us. Looking at the Kesh of a Sikh one sees the Sikh principle of "Living in the Will (Bhaanaa) of the Almighty." The Kesh is a symbol of Sikhism and what the fundamental belief of Sikhs. Bhai Taru Singh jee is a Shaheed (martyr) who is a living reminder of what the Kesh means to the Khalsa. When asked to give up his faith and denounce Sikhi, he preferred to have his scalp removed than cut and disfigure his Sacred Kesh.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A question that has been on my mind for many years and is picking at me lately more than ever; I don't know if i should start a new topic or just ask it here. My question is, why is the Sikh religion so concerned with weapons? This is a question i've asked this question to a few people, and all they can provide is that it was to fight the mughals with and thus became a part of our identity. I understand that the kirpan is used and is symbolized to fight the unrighteous and defend and stand up for the weak. If i should start a new topic for this just let me know and i'll do it ASAP

If someone can please provide an answer that would help me greater understand this part of sikhism.

Dasam Pita states that God is also Bhagauti - a sword. In the beginning of ardas you are asked to remember God as a Sword. In Chandi ki war , Dasam Pita says God created the sristi with the Khanda. Also there is Shastarnaam Mala- you shud realy read this (www.sridasm.org).

Guru also describes the dynamic power of God as Chandi/sword.

So you can see why sikhi is so concerned with the weapons.

this is only the tip of the ice-berg. so much more to tell.

I am a Sikh Male who cuts their hair. However a few years ago i was growing my hair so that i can have a joora and have the sikh identity. However, i came to the realization that just because you look like a sikh doesn't make you a sikh. Your identity is only limited to this physical world and once you die your hair, wealth and all worldy possessions stay here. I realized it is much more important to live by the gurus teachings and philosophies and understand them, than just looking like one. I realized that it would be better for a sikh to cut their hair but to live by the gurus teachings VS a sikh who hase gone through amrit but doesn't go by the gurus teachings.

Just my 2 cents

guru,s teaching mean guru da pana manana. so by cutting ur hair u already denied guru ji then how do u thing u r following guru,s teaching. hair remind u at every step that u r sikh of guru do not do anything wrong which will bring u shame. it is ur problem that ur trying to satisfy ur mind with these kind of thoughts but sikhi starts from obeying hukam if u r abadoning guru,s hukam by cutting ur hair then how r u a sikh. tell me how many clean shavens have given their head for others but sikh,s. i bet u one thing start growing beard and hairs on ur head and tie a turban u will feel the difference that it will protect u and make u more stronger. it will bring a great peace in ur mind and body. you will think twice before you commit any wrong doing. if this does not help u, then i can only pray for you. and my prayers will make difference

Additionally spiritual leaders such as Jesus, and various others throughout history have kept full unshorn hair. Interestingly, why is it that Christian's who revere Jesus as the son of God, and humanity in the image of God do not realize this precept that humans are in their natural form given a full length of hair, and in men beards.

As per Dharmic Maryada, whenever someone presents himself to a guru and asks to be made a sikh (in dharm generally, not just Sikhi), the guru always places conditions on the sikh, to test commitment and willingness to follow instructions.

In Sikhi, we formally become Sikhs of Guru Gobind Singh Ji when we offer our heads and receive Amrit. One of Guru Sahib's conditions is that we keep our Kesh uncut. Guru Ji knows best, leave it at that until you reach an avastha and find out the reason for yourself.

It really is as simple as that.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Satbachan ,

All these conditions are placed by guru to test our willingness to follow instructions of guru and also for giving a unique identity to us.But we are arrising questions to deed of our guru ??? Can we think or do more then they did ?? We cant compare us with them ,we should just follow them ,because they were never ever wrong , any how. Just love the guru and follow his instruction ,the answer of all the question will be found by urself.

How does one explain a buddhist experiencing the opening of the tenth gate known as vairocanadvara,

They do not keep kesh - in fact the opposite.

So to say hair is neccessary for dasam duar is a misnoma.

Our aim is to follow Guru ji's Hukam. That, by definition, is what a Sikh is. Guru Ji has their reasons for giving us this Hukam.