Kesh

As per Dharmic Maryada, whenever someone presents himself to a guru and asks to be made a sikh (in dharm generally, not just Sikhi), the guru always places conditions on the sikh, to test commitment and willingness to follow instructions.

In Sikhi, we formally become Sikhs of Guru Gobind Singh Ji when we offer our heads and receive Amrit. One of Guru Sahib's conditions is that we keep our Kesh uncut. Guru Ji knows best, leave it at that until you reach an avastha and find out the reason for yourself.

It really is as simple as that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did God make a mistake when he made you?

so when a baby is born you should'n cut the umbilical cord because this is the way God created the babies, attached to their mothers with a string..

Saying we are not allowed to change the way God created us is failed logic as it opens more questions than it answers bhai sahib...

there is more to keeping kes hair other than just the identity sake. uncut hair is somehow related to the dasam duar and plays a party when doing naam simran. however im not exactly sure and dont know much to explain.l will research and find out.

Guest peacemaker
Did God make a mistake when he made you?

so when a baby is born you should'n cut the umbilical cord because this is the way God created the babies, attached to their mothers with a string..

Saying we are not allowed to change the way God created us is failed logic as it opens more questions than it answers bhai sahib...

Fix the quote, please. I never said that. :)

1)why cut it?

2)Did God make a mistake when he made you?

I’m not advocating the keeping of hair or cutting it etc that’s up to people to decide, but you really need to be careful with that last question because it will totally debunk you if answered by a logical person.

Just to Say The Human Body is not designed perfectly nor was it meant to be, just think about it.

i know guru ji asked but everything guru ji asked was done for a reason and if we are meant to keep everything then that means that we must not cut our nails too right but everybody still does that. i know that we must keep all hair i just want to know the reason of why to keep all hair because if it was soley for identity then we wud only need to keep hair on the head n face

We often speak of the uniform of identity. Sikhi is more than that, it is the discipline of identity.

If you were going to be in isolation for some time, assume a deserted island, you would not then say, you could trim your visible hair as no one is there to see it.

This is because in Sikhi you must live your own discipline, only then do you have an identity to others.

1)why cut it?

2)Did God make a mistake when he made you?

For me, i keep my hair and my beard (i tie it up, which some people might object to, but oh well), for identity, and out of respect for my ancestors - i include in that, the chaar sahibzade, the thousands of Sikhs that died protecting our faith against the Mughals, every single Sikh that did their best to save and protect the honour of Sikhi.

What I don't understand is Sikhs who call themselves Sikhs, but cut their hair - you cannot call yourself a Sikh male if you do not look like one, simple as. It just doesn't work - because every time you cut your hair, you're kicking the teeth, so to speak, of all those who died to protect their hair. I'm not sure who it was, I think it was Bhai Taru, but didn't he say, "cut off my scalp; don't cut my hair"? And to just see "Singhs" cutting their hair off willy nilly, it's a disgrace.

It's not just them - it's Singhs that keep their hair, but don't respect it - walking round in pony tails, caps, hats, etc etc - we've got an identity, do your best to keep it, by your ancestors, by your gurus most importantly.

For me, the worst thing is non-Sikhs who now think it is acceptable for Sikhs to cut their hair - especially white people, of all classes - i was looking at the story of the Singh who wanted a helmet to fit over his pagh for the anti terrorism branch or whatever, on the daily mail website - and underneath, one of the comments was, "my mate doesn't feel the need to wear a turban, we should other Sikhs feel the need to wear it?". It's that which hurts me even more - i'm the one who wakes up every day, combs my hair, ties my beard up; i look different, get looks from strangers, comments sometimes - i can put up with that, i have all my life - but, to see other Sikhs say to their mates, "yeah you can be Sikh but still cut your hair", please, it's offensive. Say, "I was born into a Sikh family, but I myself am not", or, "i'm a non-practising Sikh".

In Germany, the Nazis used to shave off the beards and hair of the Jews to humiliate them - identity has always been the one way used to destroy a people - or to try at least - if they lose their identity, they lose who they are - and sadly, these "Sikhs" who are cutting their hair, and worse, their kids hair - well eventually, we'll lose our identity, our beautiful and unique identity, and become like everyone else.