Eating Beef

I was at a wedding at the weekend and overheard a couple of fella's chattin about how they eat all animals, except cows. They were also sayin how they dont eat meat on certain days. I'm totally confused, what is this all about? I would have asked the guys but before I could say anything they were carried away by the rail gaddi :lol:

Anyone ever heard this before?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a wedding at the weekend and overheard a couple of fella's chattin about how they eat all animals, except cows. They were also sayin how they dont eat meat on certain days. I'm totally confused, what is this all about? I would have asked the guys but before I could say anything they were carried away by the rail gaddi :lol:

Anyone ever heard this before?

LOL!

I think the anti-beef thing is a hang up from Hinduism as is the fasting. I know generally people in India don't eat beef period and this includes people from Sikh backgrounds who eat meat. But I don't think there is any of the philosophy of "Gou maata" (cow mother) in Sikhism. I don't any animals are given any higher status over others.

But saying that I know some early early European accounts (late 1700s) describe meat eating Nihungs who ate all but beef.

Personally speaking, if a person eats meat I don't see any difference between them eating beef as well.

Lets see if this thread turns into a vege versus meat one!

Haven't done the rail gaddi in years.

Why do some "sikhs" believe that this is not allowed?

It is Hindu influence, you see? Just like a so-called Sikh would happily give his daughter to a Hindu but not to a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Jain, Zoroaster or other religion.

RSS parchar has been bearing fruit since the early 1950s. Since then many Sikhs consider themselves brothers of Hinduism and think they are the same as Hindus but only difference between them is that Sikhs don't trim or cut their hair. I've seen many 'Sikhs' who would eat pork or any other meet, but not beef. Nor would these Sikhs stop visiting mandirs. Many of these Sikhs i have seen have a dastaar and beard but have a OHM/OM tattoo on their hands...

Its doesnt seem to have any logic behind it.

no kidding :D

bRhmx kYlI Gwqu kM\kw AxcwrI kw Dwnu ]

iPtk iPtkw koVu bdIAw sdw sdw ABmwnu ]

The following are all major sins:

Killing a Brahmgyani, killing a cow, killing or selling your daughter,

And eating from a person who has no moral discipline.

Anyone who commits any of these sins has committed thousands of sins,

This egotistical individual will be reprimanded thousands of times."

(SGGSJ Ang 1413)

Hindu thinking ,I seen hundreds of Sikhs say we cannot even touch beef or eat beef,you ask them why they say because Sikhi does not allow it ,so I go what about chicken? oh thats allowed, loll I go why/when did Guru Nanak Dev Ji say cows are holy then? they just shut up