Eating Beef

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite complicated theoritically. the way I justify all this.

I remained purely vegetarian for around 5 years so I know that there is some kind *aggresssion-energy* deficit with that diet. Because vegetarian diet is very calming influence as far as my experience goes.

But the outside world is full of crap, full of violent people. And it is necessary for me to keep up and exceed those geniuses by being more aggressive and eating more meat than them. As there is an old saying that 'only fire cuts fire' .. 'loha hee lohe nuu kaat da hain' or something similar. So I need to go on a bout of this toxicity to keep up with the joneses and be at their game.

But now all this is cruel to poor animals like hens, poultry, cows etc who are losing their lives to keep up with my need to keep up with the violent joneses and to fuel my rage. But then I conveniently pass the blame to age that we live in .. for all purposes this is the 'dark ages' and the Kalyug .. I can't live like an innocent little white flower in this dirt but instead have to blend in and subvert from within if possible.

this is my logic and reasoning.

And I practice this myself by going on longer periods of relative vegetarianism and exceeding my limits each time.

Also in the fervent hope that my own life and attempts are making an effect on universal consciousness.

And that I too am contributing in my own small wayss.

Gurbani helps in dealing with this aggression deficit. Bani like Jaap Sahib help a person to stand up for themselves, it gives bir russ (warrior spirit) as well, speaking from personal experience, meat is not required, just Gurbani.

And it is for people of any religion to do meditation on.

I also used to get confused if chicken can be eaten why not beef. It is one thing that one should be vegetarian. Then do not eat any non-veg.But if people can eat chicken then better we should start eating beef too. We are not Hindus. We are Sikhs and lets put beef in Sikh marriages as

Menu to eat. We can get this discussed on Air too. Clarifications are required on this regard.

We can't eat beef as it is clearly stated in Gurbani. Bhagat Kabir ji also has a shabad making it clear that eating chicken is not allowed in Bani either.

• 1 year later...

I remember during med school, my friends and i and our professor were having discussion over where would we go to volunteer and stuff and i remember my best friend Craig was like, "No offense, Dean but i think i will go anywhere but India." I was like wow whats wrong with India, he was like people in India starve to death, because they are dumb. He was like hey, if i had a family of seven to feed lived in a ghetto and saw a wild cow run by my house, instead giving the cow something to eat because she's a goddess or whatever, it will the cow giving me and my family not just something but a whole lot to eat... LoL

Anyhow, that was a real life joke and my friends view on Cows... haha, yes, i eat beef, and anything else... I think there's no difference and that people jus BS when they say oh i only eat chicken etc, because i think the point is, whether you are taking the animals life or not over which animal... and hey if you won't eat it, someone else will :p

Its doesnt seem to have any logic behind it.

no kidding :D

bRhmx kYlI Gwqu kM\kw AxcwrI kw Dwnu ]

iPtk iPtkw koVu bdIAw sdw sdw ABmwnu ]

"The following are all major sins:

Killing a Brahmgyani, killing a cow, killing or selling your daughter,

And eating from a person who has no moral discipline.

Anyone who commits any of these sins has committed thousands of sins,

This egotistical individual will be reprimanded thousands of times."

(SGGSJ Ang 1413)

Damn... so i guess when on thanksgiving, some soldiers in afghanistan bought a cow from a local and asked me, "Sir, whats the easiest way to cut this thing?" and i was oh don't worry lets prepare a meal together... LoL I guess i'm a sinner... :(

But, if i remember how translation of gurbani works from my time at Mehta (India) and looking at SGGS, the actuall gurbani tuk translates to, "If a Brahmin kills a cow or a female infant, and accepts the offerings of an evil person, he is cursed with the leprosy of curses and criticism; he is forever and ever filled with egotistical pride. One who forgets the Naam, O Nanak, is covered by countless sins. Let all wisdom be burnt away, except for the essence of spiritual wisdom. ||4||"

So, when you break it down in simple lingo, In this case third guru is telling us that a brahmans believe or are superstitious and say that if brhamin kills a cow or infant etc is cursed, brahmins believe this to be a wisdom something they know will hapen, HOWEVER, guru ji's saying, that the one who forgets NAAM will suffer or be cursed, and that let us forget the wisdom (in this case what will happen if i killed a cow), and just focus on the wisom of waheguru's naam. :)

Guest fordcapri

I would say some it is down to cultural background.

In India beef is not available due Hindu beliefs.

So Sikhs over there don’t eat it as not available.

Most of the Sikhs here in U.K who cook and eat chicken, pork eggs will not cook beef in the house, I would say its down to vaam. If you cook chicken, fish ect why not beef, again due cultural behaviour in India.

Then you have the Sikhs work in Agriculture who also work with animals, they are not likely to slaughter a cow when they make money from it from milk.

I eat beef now and again. Usually from McDonalds as the beef burgers are only around 59p it’s usually to top up and go with my McDonalds meal.

Guest fordcapri

It's quite complicated theoritically. the way I justify all this.

I remained purely vegetarian for around 5 years so I know that there is some kind *aggresssion-energy* deficit with that diet. Because vegetarian diet is very calming influence as far as my experience goes.

But the outside world is full of crap, full of violent people. And it is necessary for me to keep up and exceed those geniuses by being more aggressive and eating more meat than them. As there is an old saying that 'only fire cuts fire' .. 'loha hee lohe nuu kaat da hain' or something similar. So I need to go on a bout of this toxicity to keep up with the joneses and be at their game.

But now all this is cruel to poor animals like hens, poultry, cows etc who are losing their lives to keep up with my need to keep up with the violent joneses and to fuel my rage. But then I conveniently pass the blame to age that we live in .. for all purposes this is the 'dark ages' and the Kalyug .. I can't live like an innocent little white flower in this dirt but instead have to blend in and subvert from within if possible.

this is my logic and reasoning.

And I practice this myself by going on longer periods of relative vegetarianism and exceeding my limits each time.

Also in the fervent hope that my own life and attempts are making an effect on universal consciousness.

And that I too am contributing in my own small wayss.

Are you saying then that being vegetarian makes you less violent and aggressive? Theres no link if you are.

Did you know Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian? and he wasnt very pleaseant was he.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler's_vegetarianism

The thing about not eating meat on a certain day(I think you guys said tuesday) is not a superstition but has something to do with that hindu mata diety. On that same day people who believe in her light some candles infront of her with some sort of ritual with oil, I didn't participate so I don't know anything about it other than that.