Rakhri

Kammy Kaur

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Rakhri has no place in sikhi, just Punjabis are influenced by Hindu society so they adopt some of there traditions.

Rakhi was started for a promise of Hindu brothers to protect there sisters. As women were said to be weak and inferior to man. They were during afghan invaders time i guess.

Sikhi considers Women equal to men, so there is no need of rakhii.

I will accept other way if anyone gives me a line from SHree Guru Granth Sahib jee sayinf importence of rakhree.

Keep your own ways (khalsa) dont run after others.

Regards

Hi,

Rakhri has no place in sikhi, just Punjabis are influenced by Hindu society so they adopt some of there traditions.

Rakhi was started for a promise of Hindu brothers to protect there sisters. As women were said to be weak and inferior to man. They were during afghan invaders time i guess.

Sikhi considers Women equal to men, so there is no need of rakhii.

I will accept other way if anyone gives me a line from SHree Guru Granth Sahib jee sayinf importence of rakhree.

Keep your own ways (khalsa) dont run after others.

Regards

(y)

the dude who made the paiting must of bin a brainwashed 'sikh' or a fellow hindu brother trying to mislead the sikhs once again.

i'm gonna make a pic of "guru nanak" playing xbox, or better yet, one was made of "guru arjun" playing golf on the cover of a magazine, are we to believe that all sikhs should play xbox or golf?

baani is guru. and baani tells us about threads and what not....

just because someone makes a pic of a guy with a halo around his head getting ar akhri tied on him, doesn't mean its a sikh tradition.

guru sahib travelled all over, to mecca, baghdad, tibet, some even say as far as turkey, so did bibi nanki send guru sahib's rakhri via courier while he was on his udassis, journeys?

"First Udasi: (1500-1506 AD) Lasted about 7 years and covered the following towns and regions: Sultanpur, Tulamba (modern Makhdumpur, zila Multan), Panipat, Delhi, Banaras (Varanasi), Nanakmata (zila Nainital, U.P.), Tanda Vanjara (zila Rampur), Kamrup (Assam), Asa Desh (Assam), Saidpur (modern Eminabad, Pakistan), Pasrur (Pakistan), Sialkot (Pakistan).

Second Udasi: (1506-1513 AD) Lasted about 7 years and covered the following towns and regions: Dhanasri Valley, Sangladip (Ceylon).

Third Udasi: (1514-1518 AD) Lasted about 5 years and covered the following towns and regions: Kashmir, Sumer Parbat, Nepal, Tashkand.

Fourth Udasi: (1519-1521 AD) Lasted about 3 years and covered the following towns and regions: Mecca and the Arab countries.

Fifth Udasi: (1523-1524 AD) Lasted about 2 years and covered the following towns and regions: Places within the Punjab. "

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php?title=Guru_Nanak_Udasis

the bond between a sister and a brother is stronger than a string. and if you look at the state of some of our youth on drugs and what not, it should be the girls getting rakhris tied on themselves as they are more fit to offer protection than the guys.

it's a cultural thing. i mean you have 900 million hindus celebrating raakhi, as they like to call it, then of course sardars get an itch to join in on the fun. its the same thing in the west. we adapt cultural traditions. we assimilate to a degree, some fully.

for example, my family used to put up a chritsmas tree during christmas, why? because everyone else was doing it and my sister and i wanted to get presents. jesus, never even thought twice about the saviour.

peace.

I came across this picture/painting of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Bebe Nanaki Ji below. Though people say that this isn't real and it's a mere fallacy.

That pic was made by RSS in the 1930's ,do a search on the forum with my name and rakhri ,I've done topics on it before as women in their thousands come to my local Gurdwareh and tie rakriya around Guru Granth Sahib Ji's palki and the nishan sahib

Rakhri is forbidden in Sikhism and is a sign of slavery to women,a woman does not need a man to protect her she is on a equal footing with man in Sikhi.Rakhri is a Hindu ritual not Sikh,Guru Nanak Dev Ji never wore a jinoo let alone a rakhri tied by his sister,end of the day rakhri is forbidden its ritualistic and not in line with Gurmat.

Make sure you do a search on the forum this has been discussed in depth before

I came across this picture/painting of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Bebe Nanaki Ji below. Though people say that this isn't real and it's a mere fallacy.

KK please can you provide the name of the person who painted this image as well as the birth date and date of death just so that I and others know for definite that he/she was around during Guruji's time and also so we can research other paintings done by them