Sikh Girl Wins Kara Court Case

WILDSINGH

wow, i never knew some people could get this shallow...

i must say i'm really suprised Rupinder Singh...i've always looked to you as someone older than me that always provides a balanced and well thought out view point of things...chalo

I am sorry for altering your opinion about me. But my response was sarcastic in the sense that I felt the press release was nothing more than the Feds seeking a commendation for their own involvement.

We can clearly see from the media comments of the mainstream that people do not understand Sikhs and we clearly struggle in getting the message across. I am sure every single person on this forum has had prejudice towards them as they look different. Boys get picked on for wearing a turban and standing out. Girls get picked on for not removing the kes of their faces or arms. This always makes it hard for Sikh children to stand up for their faith and continue to be committed.

What I question is why, in the last 40 years of Sikhs growing up in the UK, has no representation been made for Sikh children undergoing bullying. I personally know others who have approached Gurdwaras and Sikh organizations (Sikh Feds via Smethwick Gurdwara) over a bullying issues with their own children in UK schools and as the cases were not high profile enough they were not given much attention by the Sikh organisations. What made this case different was the fact that it hit the papers very early on and therefore invited the likes of the Federation and other groups to intervene as there was some attention to be gained. That’s my gripe!

Dear Rupinder Singh

Please check your facts. The Sikh Federation (UK) became involved when the family went to Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton and they were put in contact with the Federation.

Some of our members in Bristol met the family. Liberty approached the Sikh Federation (UK) to see how they could assist. The Federation lobbied the local MP Ann Clywd. This all happen before any publicity. The publicity started with the actions of the school, who excluded Sarika. Even yesterday the media was handled by Liberty who have been issuing press releases at each stage and liaising closely with the Sikh Federation (UK).

The Federation has been involved in several cases of bullying and the reason why you may not know about it is that there has been no publicity because of the nature of bullying and the request of the families concerned.

There is no winning with some for the Federation when it comes to publicity or producing an annual highlights booklet to demonstrate our work and be accountable, we will still be criticised. Our view is it is better to publicise in most cases rather than remain silent. We think other Sikh organisations that do good work should also issue press releases and an annual booklet would do them more good than harm.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until our people get over their narrow-minded thinking and control their jealousy when others do good, we will achieve little in comparison to what we could collectively. A certain minority of Sikhs need to control their hate and prejudiced views towards the Panthic Sikh Jathebandhia who continue to do good work day and night. All who do good work, be it individuals or organisations, need to be recognised and supported.

Without doubt, this episode has concluded very positively for the Sikhs where the judgement will go down in history. Congratulations to the family and to the Sikh groups who have been involved in this case from the beginning.

This is excellent news for UK Sikhs!

i must say i'm really suprised Rupinder Singh...i've always looked to you as someone older than me that always provides a balanced and well thought out view point of things...chalo

I am sorry for altering your opinion about me. But my response was sarcastic in the sense that I felt the press release was nothing more than the Feds seeking a commendation for their own involvement.

We can clearly see from the media comments of the mainstream that people do not understand Sikhs and we clearly struggle in getting the message across. I am sure every single person on this forum has had prejudice towards them as they look different. Boys get picked on for wearing a turban and standing out. Girls get picked on for not removing the kes of their faces or arms. This always makes it hard for Sikh children to stand up for their faith and continue to be committed.

What I question is why, in the last 40 years of Sikhs growing up in the UK, has no representation been made for Sikh children undergoing bullying. I personally know others who have approached Gurdwaras and Sikh organizations (Sikh Feds via Smethwick Gurdwara) over a bullying issues with their own children in UK schools and as the cases were not high profile enough they were not given much attention by the Sikh organisations. What made this case different was the fact that it hit the papers very early on and therefore invited the likes of the Federation and other groups to intervene as there was some attention to be gained. That’s my gripe!

Dear Rupinder Singh

Please check your facts. The Sikh Federation (UK) became involved when the family went to Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton and they were put in contact with the Federation.

Some of our members in Bristol met the family. Liberty approached the Sikh Federation (UK) to see how they could assist. The Federation lobbied the local MP Ann Clywd. This all happen before any publicity. The publicity started with the actions of the school, who excluded Sarika. Even yesterday the media was handled by Liberty who have been issuing press releases at each stage and liaising closely with the Sikh Federation (UK).

The Federation has been involved in several cases of bullying and the reason why you may not know about it is that there has been no publicity because of the nature of bullying and the request of the families concerned.

There is no winning with some for the Federation when it comes to publicity or producing an annual highlights booklet to demonstrate our work and be accountable, we will still be criticised. Our view is it is better to publicise in most cases rather than remain silent. We think other Sikh organisations that do good work should also issue press releases and an annual booklet would do them more good than harm.

We often say we need to tell the general public about Sikhs so they are not mistaken for Muslims, here the conservative Daily Telegraph covers the 5K's with respect. At last we have some positive coverage. I would like to find out what alternatives ways some of the critics have for helping Sikh children and how they would implement in the near future.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...e-to-Sikhs.html

What I question is why, in the last 40 years of Sikhs growing up in the UK, has no representation been made for Sikh children undergoing bullying. I personally know others who have approached Gurdwaras and Sikh organizations (Sikh Feds via Smethwick Gurdwara) over a bullying issues with their own children in UK schools and as the cases were not high profile enough they were not given much attention by the Sikh organisations. What made this case different was the fact that it hit the papers very early on and therefore invited the likes of the Federation and other groups to intervene as there was some attention to be gained. That's my gripe!

Dear Rupinder Singh

We often say we need to tell the general public about Sikhs so they are not mistaken for Muslims, here the conservative Daily Telegraph covers the 5K's with respect. At last we have some positive coverage. I would like to find out what alternatives ways some of the critics have for helping Sikh children and how they would implement in the near future.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...e-to-Sikhs.html

True.

The judgement which is already having a massive effect on schools around the country will help many Sikh children in the future generations to come. This will seriously tackle the Kara problem during P.E./Sports activities, which generally Sikh school children have often had trouble with (obviously not to the extent of the Sarika case).

More or less all mainstream newspapers and news channels have covered this. It has helped non-Sikhs to gain knowledge of the Panj Kakaar and their significance. Such things also aid challenging the 'mistaken identity' issue as well. Sikhs do not get such positive national media coverage often, this is a rare occurrence.

i read a lot of news & to be frank, this is the first bit of positive news about Sikhs that the UK Press have covered in a lonnnnng time.

let's encourage each other to learn about Sikhi & let's try and make the most of this to ensure our youngsters get fair treatment with regards to their Kakaars.

http://www.sikhsangat.org/news/publish/europe/High_Court_backs_Sikh_s_Right_To_Wear_Symbol_Of_Faith.shtml

High Court backs Sikh's Right To Wear Symbol Of Faith

sarika_bbc_226.jpg

A Sikh schoolgirl who was excluded from her school for refusing to remove a Kara (iron bracelet worn for religious reasons) has won her High Court battle after a judge decided that the school's actions were unlawful under Britain's race and equality laws. Sarika Watkins-Singh, 14, was forced to take lessons in isolation for two months before being excluded from at Aberdare Girls' School last November because she refused to take off her kara, a slim steel bracelet that constitutes one of five religious symbols (5K's) observant Sikhs are expected to wear at all times.

Her lawyers had told Mr Justice Silber the Kara was as important to her as it was to England spin bowler Monty Panesar.

start_quote_rb.gifI'm so happy to know that no-one else will go through what me and my family have gone through. end_quote_rb.gif

The school argued that Sarika's kara broke its "no jewellery" uniform policy which only allowed pupils to wear watchbands and plain ear studs. But yesterday Mr Justice Silber ruled that the kara was of "exceptional importance for religious and racial reasons" and that Sarika had therefore been the victim of "indirect discrimination on the grounds of race and religion" under the Race Relations Act and the Equality Act.

Shortly after the judgment was announced, Sarika stood on the steps of the High Court holding her kara aloft and said: " I'm so happy to know that no-one else will go through what me and my family have gone through and no other pupil will ever get banned from wearing their kara again ... I am proud to be a Welsh, Punjabi, Sikh girl."

Anna Fairclough, a lawyer from the civil liberties group Liberty which represented the Singh family, said: "This commonsense judgment makes clear you must have a very good reason before interfering with someone's religious freedom. Our great British traditions of religious tolerance and race equality have been rightly upheld today."

During the court case the school tried to compare the kara to the Welsh flag, describing it as a symbol that engendered strong emotions but which was not a requirement of a culture or religion. But Justice Silber called the comparison "seriously erroneous" because "it totally ignores the critically important religious significance of a kara which is not shared by the Welsh flag."

He also rejected the school's suggestion that their refusal to admit Sarika was similar to a number of recent successful court battles won by schools against Muslim pupils who have insisted on wearing full-length veils in contravention of their uniform policies.

"There is an enormous difference between these very noticeable garments and the unostentatious kara which permits the wearer to wear every other aspect of the uniform policy," he said.

The ruling is a major victory for Sikh campaigners. Aberdare Girls' School will have to readmit Sarika with her kara unless it seeks permission to appeal from the Court of Appeal. Under British law Sikhs, like Jews, are defined as a race as well as a religious group from a landmark 1983 ruling by the House of Lords that enshrined the right for Sikh boys to wear turbans in school. Dabinderjit Singh, a leading figure from the Sikh Federation, said: "Twenty-five years later we have had to return to the courts to fight for a new generation."

Aberdare Girls' School was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Kara case involving a South Wales school

Statement by the Sikh Federation (UK)

The Sikh Federation (UK) has been involved with the Kara case involving a South Wales school when first approached by the family via Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton in October 2007.

The Federation has no regrets whatsoever in helping the family and in re-asserting the legal right of ALL Sikhs (Amritdhari and non-Amritdhari) to practice their faith and not to have any of their articles of faith removed by a school, employer etc. It has been a shame that Sikhs have had to return to the courts 25 years after the historic Mandla v Lee case in the House of Lords in 1983 that afforded Sikhs (and Jews, but not others) this right.

There is so much that many do not know about what the family has gone through. No family, Sikh or non-Sikh family, should have to experience, the discrimination, verbal and physical attacks etc. they have endured. Anyone calling themselves a Sikh should be prepared to stand up for such families as a matter of principle and if they truly understand the teachings of our Gurus and continue to live their lives as Sikhs.

We agree 100% that every Sikh should aspire to become an Amritdhari. The courts understand this and it was excellent to hear Sarika in January 2008 outside the Welsh Assembly publicly express her desire to become an Amritdhari to hundreds of Sikhs and the media. She should be given time to learn more about the faith she has chosen and we should all help her in her desire to be blessed with Amrit.

It is a real shame that some Sikhs posting on discussion forums or speaking publicly on radio are being very narrow minded and believe only Amritdhari Sikhs should have the right to wear the Kara or fight such cases. It is difficult for anyone to argue the Panj kakkars do not have equal status, although some would make a special case for Kesh. However, if we were to accept the argument of those that say 'only Amritdhari Sikhs have the absolute right to any of the kakkars' would they be silent and in agreement if tomorrow all schools and employers in the UK said Sikhs had to remove their Kesh unless they were an Amritdhari if they wanted to go to school or work. We suspect there would be (and rightly so) a huge outcry by Sikhs and non-Sikhs.

In short those (particularly some Amritdhari Sikhs) that are quick to criticise Sarika or any other Sikh that is aspiring to become an Amritdhari Sikh need to realise their views on this would and do turn people away from Sikhi. How should a younger Sikh go about moving towards Amrit and adopting each of the panj kakkars if Amritdhari Sikhs held such views on an all or nothing approach.

Many organisations (Sikh and non-Sikh) have been involved in this successful campaign and all should be congratulated and supported in similar endeavours.

The Sikh Federation (UK) was instrumental in introducing Liberty to the family and advising both along the way. Winning over political support e.g. the local MP Ann Clwyd by using the influence of other politicians, getting the local education authority to withdraw support from the school, organising a successful protest outside the Welsh Assembly that resulted in new guidance being issued to schools the same week and the successful petition by over 200 Sikh Gurdwaras and other organisations that was submitted to 10 Downing Street just before the case was heard in the High Court were just some of the activities where the Sikh Federation (UK) took the lead - despite criticism of the sort we see from a small group of Sikhs, the secular extremists, some other religious groups that believe Sikhs get special treatment and activists from right wing groups.

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

Also posted separately at:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showto...t=0#entry361370

Posted elsewhere in response:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I congratulate all the Sikhs, the family of the Sikh girl, and all the Sikh organizations who made it all possible. Every Sikh should aspire to become a Khalsa. For those Sikhs, Amritdhari or non-Amritdhari, a Karha is one of the most visible signs of their Sikh faith. Please keep in mind that this is only one of the five Ks. I encourage non-Amritdhari Sikhs to become Amritdhari. They can do it by adding one more Kakar gradually until they are ready to take Amrit which will happen with the blessing of Waheguru.

According to Bhai Gurdas ji, if a Sikhs takes only one step towards the Guru, the Guru takes millions of to steps to meet the Sikh! So it is up to the Sikh to take the first step. I urge all the Sikhs to take one step towards the Guru.

Again, I applaud the determination of the Sikh girl and her family and congratulate the Khalsa Panth for this victory. We have many more battles ahead of us, but let's pause for a moment and thank the Guru.

Gur Fateh

Tarlochan Singh

The guy at 41 mins seems like some sort of fanatic, the type that drive Sikhyouths away from Sikhi he says he does not support the Sikh girl

Theres another one at 56 mins who says she has nothing to do with Sikhi ,I hate these type of Sikhs who drive away people who even show the slightest interest in Sikhi, Sikhi is a path not a set of rules Sikhi is a path to being one with Akal Purkh and a Gursikh AT THE END you cannot be born a Gursikh thats what these fanatics do not get , these are the very same type that hate moneh or look down on moneh and drive our Youth away.