Chant Of "satnaam Waheguru"

These days lots of parcharaks while doing their katha, tell the sangat to speak "satnaam waheguru". What is the history of this ?

"satnaam waheguru" is neither the gurmantar nor the moolmantar.

Is their any historical account where this chant or mantar "satnaam waheguru" started ?

There was a sect called satnamis who believed in "satnaam" as their mantar or naam.

Satnam -- the true name ~~Waheguru

so u mean "bolo satnam waheguru" means speak the true name i e. waheguru.

But its fine if the kathavachak is saying this but the sangat shud only be speaking waheguru.

for example I tell somebody "bolo pavitaarr naam waheguru" and that person starts chanting "pavitarrnaam waheguru ... pavitarrnaam waheguru".

Many times especially before eating langar, I see everyone chanting "satnaam waheguru ........... satnam waheguru". They make it look like a jaap of a mantar."

Only 'Vaheguru' is gurmantar as Bhai Gurdas jee says, vaheguru gur mantar hai jap haumae khoee

Jaap of satnaam-vaheguru is not gurmantar.

Bhul chuk muaf jee.

thats true. So all this chating "satnaam waheguru satnaam waheguru " is happening bhed-chaal. hahahaha.

Moreover, I feel we shud not make gurmantar so khullaa. Only a person who has TAKEN gurmantar from Guroo roop Punj shud be encouraged to chant the gurmantar.

What a total waste of time.

Satnam is another name of waheguru, just like Madho, Sai, Beethla, Raam. Satnam Waheguru is perfectly acceptable. Okay so it is not Gurmanat or Mool mantar, if some one says Satnam Waheguru it is a million times better then not saying it at all.

This is like a discussion between a group of people, one side said Mool mantra is up to "Nanak hosi bhi satch" the other group said it is up to "Gurparsad Jap", this debate continued for half an hour when a passer by asked how many of you actually sit down in the morning and do simran of mool mantra whether it be up to 'Gurparsad Jap' or 'Nanak hose bhi satch'...................... silence.

<<< Moreover, I feel we shud not make gurmantar so khullaa. Only a person who has TAKEN gurmantar from Guroo roop Punj shud be encouraged to chant the gurmantar. >>>>

So you would discourage a person who is sejdhari to stop chanting Waheguru ??????? My God ! We should be encouraging all to do as much simran as possible so that they start following the true path, and here we are going to start stopping people to naam jap................. nice one!

Sat = present through the 4 tenses (b4 past, past, present, future)

Naam = Akaal Purakh can be in form of Naam.

There's nothing wrong in saying Satnaam (sri) Waheguru or Nirbhau Waheguru or Nivair Waheguru.. its all in the sharda.

on sttm:

kiljug bwby qwirAw siqnwmu piV mMqR suxwieAw]

kalijug baabae thaariaa sathinaam parr ma(n)thr sunaaeiaa||

Baba Nanak rescued this dark age (Kalyug) and recited ‘Satnam’ mantra for one and all.

kil qwrix gurU nwnk AwieAw ]23]

kal thaaran guroo naanak aaeiaa ||23||

Guru Nanak came to redeem the Kalyug.(23)

The 1st line can also be interpreted as: Baba Nanak rescued Kalyug and recited the mantra of Naam that is Eternal beyond time.

What a total waste of time.

Satnam is another name of waheguru, just like Madho, Sai, Beethla, Raam. Satnam Waheguru is perfectly acceptable. Okay so it is not Gurmanat or Mool mantar, if some one says Satnam Waheguru it is a million times better then not saying it at all.

This is like a discussion between a group of people, one side said Mool mantra is up to "Nanak hosi bhi satch" the other group said it is up to "Gurparsad Jap", this debate continued for half an hour when a passer by asked how many of you actually sit down in the morning and do simran of mool mantra whether it be up to 'Gurparsad Jap' or 'Nanak hose bhi satch'...................... silence.

<<< Moreover, I feel we shud not make gurmantar so khullaa. Only a person who has TAKEN gurmantar from Guroo roop Punj shud be encouraged to chant the gurmantar. >>>>

So you would discourage a person who is sejdhari to stop chanting Waheguru ??????? My God ! We should be encouraging all to do as much simran as possible so that they start following the true path, and here we are going to start stopping people to naam jap................. nice one!

This is not my personal opinion, I have been told many gursikhs(with jeevan) that one shud first take gurmantar from Punj Pyare and then japp it. If u dont have something, how can u japp it. We shud encourage people to chakk amrit and take gurmantar from Guroo-roop Punj.If non-amritdharis can japp naam, read gurbani, sooner or later, they will question " is it really necessary to chakk amrit" I can do everything that u amritdhari guys are doing.

Anyways, these days it feels that anyone who tries to talk about strict gurmat, is called taliban, kattarr, intolerant, nindakkk, hankari, etc.....

We shud encourage people to chakk amrit and take gurmantar from Guroo-roop Punj

I guess this is the only time I'm agreeing with you.. :\

When people do ardaas for "naam daan" well.. Naam comes from Guru.. Guru in the roop of Panj. So we can keep going asking God to help us win the lottery (an example) yet we never bothered to buy the ticket :umm:

Having said that: There is NO restriction to anyone whether they black/white, male/female, whatever caste/social status/religion They are allowed to read Gurbani and begin their journey to mukti.

PS: Bundha ur right. Let's concentrate more on doing our kamaee then kintu prantu :)

xHarjinder Ji,

I totally agree with you, all should be encouraged to shakk amrit. But surely we should also encourage everyone to do as much simran as possible even if they are not amritdhari.

As you know there is a total difference between an amridhari doing simran and a non amritdhari doing simran but we shouldn't discourage them else they could feel resented and drift away. We need to be inclusive and bring people to the fold not turn them away.