Chant Of "satnaam Waheguru"

If non-amritdharis can japp naam, read gurbani, sooner or later, they will question " is it really necessary to chakk amrit" I can do everything that u amritdhari guys are doing.

I am actually due to have my eyes rechecked this week, i'll let you know the results if your very interested.

Yes i am a coward because i dont use my name as my log in ID. Yawn.

Yes i should stop barking behind a computer and fight with you because i have such a big problem with you. Because obviously all the other issues that we need to deal with are sorted so that i should fight with you hand to hand. Yawn.

Get over yourself, i usually agree with most of what you say but i find this to be ridiculous!

:)

If non-amritdharis can japp naam, read gurbani, sooner or later, they will question " is it really necessary to chakk amrit" I can do everything that u amritdhari guys are doing.

Non-amritdharis reading gurbani was never an issue. The discussion was whether non-amrithdaris shud be encouraged to japp gurmantar or not. I said the above statement in that context that if they can japp gurmantar and read gurbani, they will start asking why chakk amrit ?

Gurmantar is not our personal property. It belongs to Satguru jee and one shud take gurmantar from Satguru jee before japping it. This is called Gur-deekshaa.

xHarinder_singh Ji: Speaking from my own personal hadd-beethi experience, I can say without doubt that if I wasn't encouraged to do Simran before receiving Amrit, I would never have taken it.

Simran & Gurbani saved me from the path of self-destruction that I was on.

Amrit is not cheap, we should prepare ourselves for it by doing as much Simran and Paath as possible.

xHarinder_singh Ji: Speaking from my own personal hadd-beethi experience, I can say without doubt that if I wasn't encouraged to do Simran before receiving Amrit, I would never have taken it.

Simran & Gurbani saved me from the path of self-destruction that I was on.

Amrit is not cheap, we should prepare ourselves for it by doing as much Simran and Paath as possible.

Dear Matheen Ji,

I am telling what I was told by some nice gursikhs.

anyways, if one has to simran, do simran of gurmantar and not "satnaam waheguru".

Giani Pinderpal Singh, I have huge respect for him and whenever he does katha, he makes sangat recite gurmantar and not the sant style "bolooo satnam sri waheguruu".

Giani ji's simran is very slow and powerful.

The point that my aatmaa was trying to make is that I cant really understanding the chanting "satnaam waheguru" thats going on these days. Having said that, in this chant, gurmantar also comes so thats beneficial, but still I cant find a reason why this chant started, why not just the gurmantar.

Veer Ji, I understand your point of view. However when saying "Bolo Satnaan Sri Waheguru" what is the person saying? Simply - recite the true name, Waheguru. Nobody is saying Gurmantar is Satnaam. It is Waheguru, there is no doubt about that.

In the same way, when reciting 'Satnaam Waheguru' the reason is to imprint into our minds that Satnaam is Waheguru. There's nothing wrong with this - you will find it in puratan sampardas like the Nihangs, Taksalis etc. It isn't a new invention.

Read the following by Bhai Gurdas Ji (please read the full Vaars - they also state Waheguru is Gurmantar, I've just put a few lines):

Vaar 1

nmskwr gurdyv ko siqnwmu ijsu mMqR suxwieAw]

namasakaar guradhaev ko sathinaam jis ma(n)thr sunaaeiaa||

I bow before the Guru (Guru Nanak Dev) who recited the Satnam Mantra (for the world).

kiljug bwby qwirAw siqnwmu piV mMqR suxwieAw]

kalijug baabae thaariaa sathinaam parr ma(n)thr sunaaeiaa||

Baba Nanak rescued this dark age (Kalyug) and recited ‘Satnam’ mantra for one and all.

Vaar 6

siqnwmu krqw purKu mUl mMqR ismrxu prvwxY]

sathinaam karathaa purakh mool ma(n)thr simaran paravaanai||

Santa, Karta Purakh is accepted as the basic formula, the mol mantra, by the Gurmukh.

Vaar 39

siqnwmu krqw purKu inrBau hoie inrvYru sdwieAw]

sathinaam karathaa purakh nirabho hoe niravair sadhaaeiaa||

Then He was called Satnam, the Truth by name, Kartapurakh, the creator Lord, narwhal, the fearless one, and nervier, without rancour.

Alright! that makes sense. So chant of "satnaam waheguru" is to imprint into our minds that satnaam is waheguru. But the way many people chant, I doubt they are thinking like that. They are just making it look like a jaap of a mantarrr. I will still prefer people only repeating gurmantar as Giani Pinderpal Singh Jee's does.

Anyways, this topic is over for me. Sorry if i hurt somebody's aatmaa.

There are a lot of mantars in Sikh dharm. btw, japping waheguru before Amrit is not the japping of Gurmantr, it's only Gurmantr after we get it from punj pyare.

SunSingh jee why is it only considerd Gurmantar after Amrit? Isn't it the Gurus mantar regardless if someone has taken Amrit or not?

SunSingh jee why is it only considerd Gurmantar after Amrit? Isn't it the Gurus mantar regardless if someone has taken Amrit or not?

In my limited understanding, Gurmantar means that mantar given by Guru Ji to his Sikh. Khande Batte Da Amrit is the formal initiation of a person to become a Sikh of Guru Sahib. Before this, we are 'nigurey', after giving our heads at Amrit Sanchar we become 'Guru waley'. At this time, Guru Ji gives his Sikhs the highest of all mantars - that which will lead to mukti - Gurmantar. It isn't cheap - we pay for it with our heads!

In effect, until we take Amrit, we don't have a guru. (This is not exclusive to Sikhi - every guru-disciple relationship, in any Dharm, begins with initiation.)