Hair Issue

Guest guest_1

Guest guest_1

I have a issue.... I currently play rugby and is my dream to play for the all blacks... I currently am in a development squad for a rugby franchise as i am 19 and hopefuly play professional first grade next year. I do not consider myself a Sikh but i have uncut hair, also i believe in God but do not follow any religion and i try resite on his name when i can. Im an considering cutting my hair as it gets to hard to tie up and stuff and sometimes restricts me not to play at my full potenitial.... Latter on in my life I will become a Sikh but i believe that you should not be born into a religion but find your own way. Theres just one thing though.... My parents are understanding and they will understand why i did it if i was to cut my hair but my close relatives are very narrow minded and very religious towards Sikhi and will get offended.... Now do i think about what other people will think? or should i do what i know is best for me and cut my hair?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***THIS MESSAGE IS POSTED ON BEHALF OF SOMEONE***

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I am a practising sikh and absolutly LOVE rugby, when I was around your age I had the same dilemma.

I used to wear a patka at the time and i was told that if I had great potential and I would have no problems at joining the international setup in a few years down the line. However during a match I relised that some of the players in the oppostion were aiming for my joora during scrums and when I was tackling them. I spoke to my coach after the match and he said that if I wanting to go professional then I will have to wear a "different style of turban that is more secure or cut my hair". When I realised no matter what dastar I tied on it would not be tight enough I was heartbroken.

I then relised that I had to chose between my sikhi and rugby and no matter how much I love rugby I could not turn my back on GOD and chose to quit playing and to this very day I have never regretted my decision.

The point I am trying to make is that you have to take your situation as a test from God and ask yourself: Whats more important to me rugby or GOD?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The dude does not see himself as a Sikh. Also you are not doing a favour to Guru by sporting Kesh. Also he has made up his mind to cut his hair. All he wants to know is that should he care about what others will think? Nobody gives a damn about you mate! Do what you want. Just don't bother others with your looser thoughts.

I used to wear a prop's helmet over a patka with no problems. Try it!

I reckon the fact you posted your question here shows you still feel Kesh are important. Read up on why we keep them and bear in mind that we used to go to war and the Kesh were never a hindrance.

If you keep your dhara as well, you'd have an advantage because your appearance would be pretty scary. Imagine it - a Singh charging down the field, Lomu style!!

My dear Boy , I think you are losing on something here , here its not about cutting hair or not , its about chasing two different thoughts , two different joureys , think 10 years down the lane , if you become a pro-rugby player and you love it , you would love your decision of cutting your hair , and I think you won't ever consider getting back to your Sikhi . ... fame does it to everyone , and as it seems from your post , you are an ordinary , a wannabe in the world of bullies , Should it matter that they target your joora? , Should it matter few cms of more hair can hinder your progress? , Does it matter to the Guru if you keep your hair later or not , my Guess is , He doesnt care.Do what you want.

If you think they will target your 'joora' you can tie a pony tail or something like that. There are many ways to fix your hair. Ok. I am not ranting but i was a major sports player in my school, and so were many other GURSIKHS. I never thought of cutting my hair and nor i did. My seniors always set an example . They all had jooras, most of them, and i have played at National level. My hair have never, even for a moment caused any problems. The girl i went out with in school, she was the hottest in school and it was me she dated, a full sikhi saroop guy, and not some looser clean shaven <banned word filter activated>. Before playing i removed my 'kara' so that others don't get hurt. But i did not get rid of it for my game.

Dude you can be what ever you want to be. But if you think you will Not progress in life or girls or glamour because of your hair, YOU ARE DAMN WRONG. AND A LOOSER. YOU NEED AN EXCUSE FOR YOUR SHORTCOMINGS. AND YOU CHOSE YOUR HAIR.

Guest g14life
If you think they will target your 'joora' you can tie a pony tail or something like that. The girl i went out with in school, she was the hottest in school and it was me she dated, a full sikhi saroop guy, and not some looser clean shaven <banned word filter activated>.

The Olympics are going on now, would you like a medal for your "big" achievement? Don't ever call anyone who doesn't keep full sikhi saroop a loser. Are we clear? Good!

If you think they will target your 'joora' you can tie a pony tail or something like that. There are many ways to fix your hair. Ok. I am not ranting but i was a major sports player in my school, and so were many other GURSIKHS. I never thought of cutting my hair and nor i did. My seniors always set an example . They all had jooras, most of them, and i have played at National level. My hair have never, even for a moment caused any problems. The girl i went out with in school, she was the hottest in school and it was me she dated, a full sikhi saroop guy, and not some looser clean shaven <banned word filter activated>. Before playing i removed my 'kara' so that others don't get hurt. But i did not get rid of it for my game.

Dude you can be what ever you want to be. But if you think you will Not progress in life or girls or glamour because of your hair, YOU ARE DAMN WRONG. AND A LOOSER. YOU NEED AN EXCUSE FOR YOUR SHORTCOMINGS. AND YOU CHOSE YOUR HAIR.

my-my what a good example you are setting, a full sikhi saroop guys going out with a girlfriend :LOLz: Are you doing the Guru a "favour" by doing such things?

I do hope there are singhs who don't set this example for the youth ! Seeing a singh dating makes everyone else who can;t think much think its ok to do. Ah well, some kids have good parents who keep them away from such things.

I'd respect a hair-cut guy who doesn;t make girlfriends more than that anyday :wub: I think a person should first behave respectably, then things like sikh saroop or whatever matter. If a guy came round our families trying to make girlfriends withg our daughters/sisters, we'd knock him out, seeing a turban we'd probably knock him out out even more and knock his pugh off, for doing behzti to the turban. That one of the cases I find it acceptable to knock someones pugh off lol :2singh2:

( If the guy also wears a kirpaan, then you don;t wanna know what could happen, too violent...) Oh yeh, we keep bandooks back in the pinds, so bachkeh raho girlfriends-makers!!!

I have a issue.... I currently play rugby and is my dream to play for the all blacks... I currently am in a development squad for a rugby franchise as i am 19 and hopefuly play professional first grade next year. I do not consider myself a Sikh but i have uncut hair, also i believe in God but do not follow any religion and i try resite on his name when i can. Im an considering cutting my hair as it gets to hard to tie up and stuff and sometimes restricts me not to play at my full potenitial.... Latter on in my life I will become a Sikh but i believe that you should not be born into a religion but find your own way. Theres just one thing though.... My parents are understanding and they will understand why i did it if i was to cut my hair but my close relatives are very narrow minded and very religious towards Sikhi and will get offended.... Now do i think about what other people will think? or should i do what i know is best for me and cut my hair?

I still do not see what the problem in keeping your hair is?

Although I don;t even agree with rugby in the 1st place.

if u wanna cut ur hair at least have the decentcy not to use rugby as an excuse. i used to play rugby for school we enetered tournaments and i used to play 2nd row and later on thw wings. yeah my patka slipped off once but its never restricted me!!!!!!its rugby for crying out loud. to say ull refind sikhi later is taking it 4 granted. it takes people years and years to grow enuff confidence to grow their hair etc. so u cant just say yeah ill cut it now and late ill grow it its not that simple.