Interesting Quote On Hari Singh Nalwa

singh_comradz

In 1881, British Newspapers compared many great generals of the past and came with the following conclusion:

"Some people might think that Napoleon was a great General. Some might name Marshall Hendenburgh, Lord Kitchener, General Karobzey or Duke of Wellington etc. And some going further might say Halaku Khan, Genghis Khan, Changez Khan, Richard or Allaudin etc. But let me tell you that in the North of India a General of the name of Hari Singh Nalwa of the Sikhs prevailed. Had he lived longer and had the sources and artillery of the British, he would have conquered most of Asia and Europe…."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hari_Singh_Nalwa

wow

My mother's cousin studied Sikh history in school in Punjab, and was the first one ever to tell me stories about Baba Banda Singh Bahadur, Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa and Baba Deep Singh Ji, ages before I even knew a single thing about Sikhi. He is a Hindu, and told me that after Nalwa Ji was shaheed, the Singhs stood his mirtak sareer (dead body) on top of the gates of the fort where the battle was raging. I am not sure if it was the battle of Naushera at the Jamrud fort, maybe thats the one. Anyways, the Afghans saw Nalwa Ji's mirtak sareer and all of them ran away, thinking he was still alive. Nalwa Ji was over 7 feet in height from what I heard, and was given the title of "Nalwa" after he killed a lion with his bare hands. His original name was Hari Singh Uppal. To this day, it is said that Afghan mothers put their kids to sleep, telling them "Go to sleep, otherwise Haria (Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa) will come".

Hari Singh Nalwa died during an attack on the fort of Jamraud by the Afghans. As far as i know there was some dirty play involved in his death. Had he lived it the Sikhs would have never lost the war with British, which too they won by deceit and when the empire was almost bankrupt. Also the fort he built is currently one of the main base station of the American Army in the NWFP where it is fighting the Taliban. The fort is very well built with walls as thick as two meters and capable of sustaining any major attack. There is also a Gurdwara inside but the American Army doesn't allow anyone to go there.

In 1881, British Newspapers compared many great generals of the past and came with the following conclusion:

"Some people might think that Napoleon was a great General. Some might name Marshall Hendenburgh, Lord Kitchener, General Karobzey or Duke of Wellington etc. And some going further might say Halaku Khan, Genghis Khan, Changez Khan, Richard or Allaudin etc. But let me tell you that in the North of India a General of the name of Hari Singh Nalwa of the Sikhs prevailed. Had he lived longer and had the sources and artillery of the British, he would have conquered most of Asia and Europe…."

wow

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thanks for sharing. I would expect nothing less from a beloved Sahibzada of Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj who lived and died for his Father.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

....To this day, it is said that Afghan mothers put their kids to sleep, telling them "Go to sleep, otherwise Haria (Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa) will come".

I didn't believe this until a Pathan/ Afghan taxi driver in London brought up the story and told me himself!! He even said that when the Taliban were destroying Gurdwarey, they left the one named after Nalwa because they were too scared to go inside.

• 14 years later...
On 10/12/2008 at 11:20 AM, singh_comradz said:

wow

Bump

anyone agree ?