• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dharmendra: "I would be happy if I lose the election!"

GAUTAM BURAGOHAIN

INDIATIMES MOVIES

http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/m...1,prtpage-1.cms

Though he has aged, Dharmendra hasn’t lost any of his famous trademarks. Even his eyes haven’t lost any of the intensity that has been so much part of his character as long as we have known him. The self-assurance, good looks  and poise are intact. He’s still and will always remain Bollywood’s most good-looking hero. And, as we get set for this chat, he begins with a little story… 

Bobby Deol (his younger son) learnt about his religion much later in his life, “because we never discussed our religion at home,” says BJP’s latest star entrant, actor Dharmendra. “One day, Bobby came back from school and asked me, are we Hindu? And when I said ‘yes’, his first reaction was, “How come you never told me?". Our family has always been like that - a closely knit, secular joint family. My brother, his family and my two sons, Sunny and Bobby, their families...we all stay under the same roof. Touch wood. (He bends forward and touches the  wooden table.) At home we just follow one religion - of humanity. We are Jats, big hearted people,” says Garam Daram and goes on to tell another story. “The other day, I saw Sunny's son Rajbir playing with his friend, our  watchman’s son, and I heard him telling his mom he wants his fr

iend also to become rich like them. I had no words  to describe it; I just hugged Rajbir. All my family members are like that, simple Jats."

The moral of the story is as simple - though the actor has recently joined the BJP, a political party well known for its Hindutva ideology, at home Dharam is man with secular ideas and, like any secular Indian, he mourns the silent death of secularism in Indian society.  “I still remember in our village an elderly Muslimbhai would scold any Hindu girl for not covering her head. And whenever we would meet any of our Muslim behens at the railway station, we would take their luggage and the kids and drop them home,” he says and wonders, “I don’t where those beautiful  days have gone!"

That’s an indication Garam Dharam gives about the ideologies with which he’s going to fight the elections. “I don’t        believe in a party’s ideology; I will follow the ideology of insaniyat,” he declares. If he didn’t believed in BJP ideology, what made him take the offer to join the party? “Only I know what I went through when I took this  decision. I’m not opposed to any political parties, but politics was not meri bas ki baat. There were offers from  almost all the parties, and it took me months to decide. Every day they would all call me, and I would turn the offers  down. My atma must have died ten times before I arrived at the decision to contest. Even my family was against it. But since I have taken the decision, there’s no turning back now. As a matter of fact, " he laughs and says, “I would be happy if I lose the election!"

What made Veeru ( as he is best known, after his character in 'Sholay') join the BJP was the ongoing peace  initiative between India and Pakistan. He says, "Only a great leader like Atal Bihari Vajpayee would do something  of this sort. It needs guts; I salute both Vajpayeeji and Parvez Musharraf for taking this initiative. And look at the way the Pakistani peopl

e have responded to the cricket matches! When India won the series, there were fireworks in the stadium. There were tears of joy in my eyes; ji karta tha abhi Pakistan jao and sabko gale lagao!” 

What’s his promise for the people of Bikaner, from where he will contest the polls? “I will bring back peace and communal harmony, which have taken a beating due to the internal political game."

And does this new move into politics mean he is bidding farewell to his acting career? He vehemently denies it. "No, never, I was born to act. I will be acting till my last breath." However, in spite of starring in a dozen blockbusters, Dharmendra  never got his due like, say, Amitabh Bachchan. Does that upset him? The Jat hero is rueful but dismissive. "I never asked for it, and I don’t know how to market myself. And, being the eldest in the family, there was so much responsibility, I didn’t get any time for myself. I’m just a simple kisan from a small village who made it."

Is he content with his life? “Yes, I am. I have a beautiful, supportive family with lovely grandsons - what more could I have asked for?"

When we showed our keenness in taking a couple of photographs of him with his grandsons, he reluctantly agrees and shouts for someone to find out who is at home. It’s a huge mansion, and it takes searching to find out. Sunny’s babas Rajbir and Karan are upstairs at tuitions, and Dharmendra instructs, “Tell Pooja (Sunny’s wife) to prepare them and send them down."

As we chat and sip sweet lassi, his two grandsons come downstairs. The first thing that strikes us about them is their immaculate manners. “Uncle ko namaste karo,” instructs the loving grandad. And Rajbir and Karan, like any obedient boys, greet us with a namaste. 

The photographer does his job quickly and the boys depart after saying “Thank you, uncle!”, which brings a look of  pride and joy into the eyes of their grandfather. We get back to chatting, asking Dharmendra, the star, whom

he considers the greatest actor of our time. He replies quickly, saying, "There have been great actors like Amitabh Bachchan, but my favourite will always be Dilip Kumar. I always wanted to be like him. He has been my idol.” Not Amitabh? “He, too, is a great actor, but Dilip saab was of a different breed!” 

Besides dabbling in politics, Veeru is busy doing a film with sex siren Mallika Sherawat titled ‘Kis Kiski Kismat'. He is also planning to release his collection of poems, written in  Urdu. “People think Jats can never write poems and I want to prove them wrong,” he says. 

Then it is time to leave. Garam-Dharam is getting ready to flex his muscle again and play his second innings...still for the people who love him, but this time as political hero!

now decide for yourself what he his! In the coming Bikaner, Haryana elections he is trying to potray his self as Hindu-Jat to get the Jat votes from Haryana. EVERYTHING IN INDIA IS POLITICS AND KURSI!

dharmendra is a anankhi waala jatt, that is great and dandy but he is a arya smaji <banned word filter activated>, sunny deol his son has a tattoo of an om on his hand, they are not even close to being sikhs....they are basically just punjabi and unfortunately being punjabi these days makes it seem like one is sikh also....and by the way bhagat singh, sanewaal is in ludhiana...sunny deol, bobby deol, and dharmendra can take their anakh and shove it where the sun don't shine, the khalsa will outmatch their anakh anyday, i hav esaid it before and i will say it again, a drunk jatt has never done anything to be proud of, what sounds better, a drunk jatt yelling, "awo sahmne jene auna, je te ma da dud peeta ta saamne ah, meri teri ma di....." or a singh in sikhi saroop in maidaan-e-jang yelling" bole so nihal sat sri akal!!!!!"

yeah that is what i thought....

^_^ Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh! ^_^

I apologize and ask for forgiveness if I said anything that may have offended anyone in my previous message about this topic. But what I meant to say is nomatter how bad of a Sikh he is (not that I am any good myself) he would not convert to Islam and think that is just a big lie.

I think the bigger idea is just that a 'Sikh' converts to 'Islam' for any 'reason' this being for a 'woman' is just what that was focused on.

That is all I meant...

bhul chuk maph

^_^ Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...