To All The Girls That Have Taken Amrit,,

Guest blahhhhhhh

Guest _singhni_

By wearing makeup and jewelary is similar to someone who cuts their hair because they are changing the way God made them, hence going against God's will which is anti-gurmat.

Just because Yogi Harbhajan singh said jewelary is alright doesn't make that true>

suramaadhik shi(n)gaar nehi(n) nehi(n) par tharunee sa(n)gi

Do not wear make-up or jewellery. Do not commit adultery.

Rehatnama Bhai Daya Singh Jee

Also, there was a competition with Yogi Harbhajan Singh and Bhai Jeevan Singh that occured once in the langar hall. They both wanted to compete with each other by seeing who can jap naam the longest. Yogi Harbhajan Singh gave up in 9 hours, however bhai jeevan singh could go longer. This proves that Bhai Jeevan singh is more humble and he is against wearing jewelery and makeup. Everyone has different levels of gyaan (knowledge).

Heres what Guru Gobind Singh jee said in Dasam Granth about himself:

ਜਟਾ ਨ ਸੀਸ ਧਾਰਿਹੋਂ ॥ ਨ ਮੁੰਦ੍ਰਕਾ ਸੁ ਧਾਰਿ ਹੋਂ ॥

I do not wear matted hair on my head, nor do I put rings in my ears.

You're defiantly no better than Guru ji, so you have no right to wear jewelery.

Personally I think women look like clowns when they wear makeup.

Wearing makeup and jewelary wouldn't let you spiritually progress because you're attached to the human body. Guru ji said to sleep less and eat less which is two necessary things to survive, so if guru ji said this what makes you think we can wear these stuff that doesn't make any use to us. We only wear these stuff for selfish needs.

If you want to wear makeup and jewelery then its simple - dont take amrit because you're supposed give your mind, soul and body to guru ji. Also, you're representing Guru Nanak, and you don't even look any image close to Guru ji. There is no difference between you and manmukhs because you both still have the same amount of Mayl (filth of sin) on your body thats why you think exactly the same as them which is animal thinking. If you don't agree with me, do intense naam and Gurbani abhiyaas for yourself, and you will start realising the difference between right and wrong (bibek - dicriminating intelect).

Here is a story during Guru Arjan Dev Ji's time:

-----------------------------------------

Story Behind Baavan Akhree

Translated from Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee’s book – Gurmat Gauravta

Regarding wearing ornaments, there is an extremely beautiful saakhi (story) in our history. The mention of this story in this context (context of wearing ornaments) is extremely important here. Once Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee, who was all-knowing, naturally inspired and advised his wife – Mata Ganga – jee as follows, “Women of rich Mahajans and Khatrees come to see you everyday but you should be aware that no matter how rich or nice these women are but they are still far from Gurmat. Never adopt their non-Gurmat, Manmatt advice”.

This way after naturally advising his wife to not adopt the manmatt actions of the visiting rich women of Mahajans and Khatrees, Siri Guru jee went to Gur-darbaar (where sangat was). That day when Siri Guru jee was preaching Gurmat to sangat, a very rich Seth made an offering of “Naulakha Haar” (Naulakha Haar literally means a necklace worth 900,000 rupees). The whole city of Amritsar Sahib was talking about this very expensive necklace. Many rich women of the city came to see the necklace and loved the sight of this necklace.

Many of these women got together and went to Mata Ganga jee and starting requesting and cajoling her to wear that expensive necklace as follows, “You are the mother of this whole world yet you are not wearing any ornament. You are the queen of this world but are without any necklace. Being wife of Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee, it does not suit you to be without ornaments. Today, someone has offered the Naulakha Haar (necklace) to Siri Guru jee and being our Guru Mata and being the wife of Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee it would be highly befitting to have you wear that necklace around your neck. We implore to you that you beg before your husband Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee to let you wear this necklace.”

What to say more, this way the group of rich but manmukh women who came to see Mata Ganga jee, convinced her to wear the Naulakha Haar. Before Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee arrived back at his residence from the Darbar, Mata jee lay herself on her bed, pretending to be sullen (gussay). Jaani-jaan (all knowing) Satguru jee knew about the real cause of Mata jee’s sullenness and said, “Today you seem to have been affected and influenced by the Aanmat (non-Gurmat) lessons of the rich women who visited you today and I had warned you about this earlier.”

Siri Mata jee got conscious of arrival of Siri Guru jee and with folded hands and with palla (hazooriya) in her hands, pleaded before Siri Guru jee, “O True King (Sachay Paatshah), this servant of yours has never ever asked you for anything. This is the first time, I am asking for anything. I am hoping you will show your mercifulness by granting me my wish.”

Siri Guru jee knew everything but still asked her, with a sweet smile on his face, as to what her wish was. Siri Mata jee immediately said, “Today a naulakha haar was offered in your darbar. Please grant me your approval in form of letting me wear that naulakha haar (the necklace).”

Siri Guru jee hearing this plea from Mata Ganga jee laughed a lot and said, “You have confirmed that you have been influenced by your meeting with the non-Sikh rich women who met you today. O innocent one (bholeeyay) and O naïve one, you are talking about necklace worth nine hundred thousand, but even if you wear necklaces worth millions and billions of ruppees, it would still be false or waste thing to do. Today, we are going to make such necklace for you that will not only help you in this world but also in the next world.”

After these bachans (words) to Mata jee, Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee started uttering Siri Baavan Akhree and such was the positive and heavenly influence of this baani on Siri Mata jee that as she listened to this baani, this baani got carved on her inside (her heart). Such a miracle occurred at that time that as Siri Guru jee uttered this baani, this baani got carved on the beautiful heart of Mata Ganga jee and she got this baani memorized in this short time (listening to it only once). With the affect of listening to this beautiful baani, Mata Ganga jee’s heart and her inside got illuminated with this baani. This way, Mata Ganga jee wore the true Naulakha Haar of Baavan Akhree. (All her wish of wearing the worldly Naulakha Haar vanished).

Kulbir Singh -----------------------------------------

Gurfateh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wear makeup or jewellry to attract the opposite sex or to seek attention, one might say you are seeking materialistic gains. But if you wear makeup or jewellry because it truly makes you feel closer to guru ji, then why not ?

erm, how on earth does that work?? im really curious for an explanation now.

banee tells us that the only way to get closer to maharaaj, is to do simran, to remember vaheguroo whilst youre standing sitting eating sleeping talking laughing. basically to sing the lords praises aath pehar (24/7). so i am completely dumbfounded as to how wearing makeup can have the same effect on us as doing simran, seva etc??

this is how i see makeup:

vaheguroo is comepletely perfect. therefore this creation is perfect, since a perfect being created this creation.

therefore, our physical form is also perfect. so by wearing makeup, (and altering it in other ways such as hair removal) we are acting in an egotistical manner. we believe that we can improve upon vaheguroos creation. we believe we look better with make up (as we applied it) rather than without.

my panj pyaarae told me that wearing makeup is not acceptable. i have not touched makeup since the day of my amrit sanchaar. it has NOT been easy. initially you feel like complete rubbish. but its that attachment to maya and pressure from society which makes us think we look better, blah blah blah. sure youve all heard this before.

im probably going to get slated for this, but there are also rehatnameh which clearly state that wearing makeup and jewellery is not acceptable. there are tons of links on STTM.

aaaand *breathe*. sorry about the really long post. maybe someone will take pity and read it :| lol

gurfateh.

Also, there was a competition with Yogi Harbhajan Singh and Bhai Jeevan Singh that occured once in the langar hall. They both wanted to compete with each other by seeing who can jap naam the longest. Yogi Harbhajan Singh gave up in 9 hours, however bhai jeevan singh could go longer. This proves that Bhai Jeevan singh is more humble and he is against wearing jewelery and makeup. Everyone has different levels of gyaan (knowledge).

im sorry..what?! lol. thats a load of nonsense. bhai jeevan singh jee is a true gurmukh and so was yogi harbhajan singh jee..gurmukhs dont hold competitions to see who can jap naam the longest lol. us moorakhs would because we're full of ego, but they know that japping naam isnt some sort of contest. id love to know where you got this information lol.

and also, you shouldn't go around judging gurmukhs jeevans. youve just said bhai jeevan singh jee is more humble and has more giaan..thats really bad dude. really really bad. we have no right to judge peoples jeevans, we should be looking at our own to begin with. please dont do that again. gurooo.

I’m planning to take Amrit soon and my view on jewellery is the same as Siri Singh Sahib. I’ve always believed in look at your self before judging others and I think there is nothing wrong with wearing jewellery and it’s up to the individual. I’ve never been into jewellery that much the only time I use to wear it was at family functions, so it was really easy giving it away. For me this was an important part in taking my step towards my end goal because for me the only reason for me wearing jewellery was to satisfy everyone else.

On the subject of make-up, that’s obvious why anyone wears it. To look good, feel good about yourself because the society we live in makes us think we have to look a certain way bla bla along those line. But again I say it’s up to the individual, for me its attachment so me giving that up is another step.

Uhh so I hope that helps lol

Satnaam

I'm sorry but this made me laugh out loud. Where did you hear this story?! Do you actually think such knowledgeable souls have had a "who can meditate the longest" competition?!?! Because obviously both of them are so egotistical as to have such a "showdown" <_< Are you JOKING?!?! You obviously have a lot to learn.

Ji, laughing at others doesn't make anyone humble.

If someone has given their opinion, then we should respect it. They have a right to express their feelings. There are two ways of explaining things to others: nicely or rudely. Why wouldn't you choose the more compassionate way? He resides in every heart. You hurt someone's heart, you've hurt him. Why would you hurt someone by trying to oversmart them? If you don't agree with something that someone has suggested or said then tell them nicely instead of laughing at them or making them feel so low.

Ji, Maharaj Ji is very sensitive. Very sensitive. When you hurt people's feelings, he gets really upset. Their soul cries. And he hears only the soul, the mind is not even allowed to be near him since it's full of ego.

ਨੀਚਾ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਨੀਚ ਜਾਤਿ ਨੀਚੀ ਹੂ ਅਤਿ ਨੀਚੁ ॥

neechaa andhar neech jaath neechee hoo ath neech ||

Nanak seeks the company of the lowest of the low class, the very lowest of the low.

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਿਨ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਾਥਿ ਵਡਿਆ ਸਿਉ ਕਿਆ ਰੀਸ ॥

naanak thin kai sang saathh vaddiaa sio kiaa rees ||

Why should he try to compete with the great?

ਜਿਥੈ ਨੀਚ ਸਮਾਲੀਅਨਿ ਤਿਥੈ ਨਦਰਿ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਖਸੀਸ ॥੪॥੩॥

jithhai neech samaaleean thithhai nadhar thaeree bakhasees ||4||3||

In that place where the lowly are cared for-there, the Blessings of Your Glance of Grace rain down. ||4||3||

I hope no one attacks me for this post... :happy:

Waheguru, Ji, May Maharaj Ji take all of you in his fold tightly... =)

Guest Guest

I'm sorry but this made me laugh out loud. Where did you hear this story?! Do you actually think such knowledgeable souls have had a "who can meditate the longest" competition?!?! Because obviously both of them are so egotistical as to have such a "showdown" <_< Are you JOKING?!?!

FYI

I got this from elder Gursikhs. Youth like yourself wouldn't know about this. This happened a long time ago at one of Yogi Harbhajan Singhs camps. Theres nothing wrong with Gursikhs having fun with each other.

You obviously have a lot to learn.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Guest _singhni_

I'm sorry but this made me laugh out loud. Where did you hear this story?! Do you actually think such knowledgeable souls have had a "who can meditate the longest" competition?!?! Because obviously both of them are so egotistical as to have such a "showdown" <_< Are you JOKING?!?! You obviously have a lot to learn.

also another thing.....

just like you would want to enjoy having worldly competitions like racing. These Gurmukhs love Naam. They don't treat it as a ritual like Manmukhs. Their Naam is part of their life, their enjoyment, that they would even want to jap naam with Gurmukh for hours out of love, NOT ego.

We probably can only reach up to 2 hours, but these Gurmukhs can go up 9 hours, you should be saying woowww lol

in the end they were japping naam so nothing NOTHING can be done out of ego :) where that person japs naam is saach khand as gurbani says

ps. thank u for all ur posts :)