How much do you agree with this passage?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you agree with this passage?

• I agree
    • I disagree

From the book: "When Love Prevails, A Sikh Women Finds Christ!"

Role of women

In theory, men and women are regarded as equal; in practice it is not fully so.

------------------------------

Now as Sikhs when we tell someone about our religion, we almost always mention this aspect of equality, but have we ever though about this ourselves? Are we really practicing it? If you are a Kaur, compare yourself to Singh and post what differences you find in yourself and in the way society treats you, likewise if you are a Singh, compare yourself to a Kaur, obviously not counting the differences which God created, but keep in mind the creation of Khalsa, the genderless Saint-Soldier.

If you believe that Guru Gobind Singh Ji never intended to give Kaurs an equal role and image, still post and tell us what you think.

If you vote I agree, that would mean that Sikh women should be treated equally as Singhs in all aspects, if you vote I disagree, that would mean that there is no need to treat Sikh women equally.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

The title of that book somewhat agitates me.

First of all it makes it seem like Christ was hiding.

Christ does not hide, Christ is out there all over the place accessible at any time. Those who have good enough karma get the chance to find Christ. The title doesn't properly explain this.

Secondly, and more significantly, it makes it seem like she was a Sikh.

How can somebody be a true Sikh if they haven't taken khande-ke-pahul and lived the rehit?

Only those people who actually follow rehit have the right to call themselves Sikhs - the rest of us (including myself) are 'vigray hoay bachay' (spoiled and lost kids) of our dyaaloo kirpaaloo Dasmesh Pitaa jee

Thirdly, and most significantly, it makes it seem like Sikhi is not love, Christianity is.

Hm... if that's what she thinks... I can only be sorry for her that she didn't learn the true essence of Sikhi....

"gobind bhaao bhagat kaa bhukhaa"

"bhola bhaau gobind milaavay"

"prem patola thaiso dithaa takkan koo path mayree"

"suno lokaa mai prem rus paaeiaa"

"oha prem piree"

"preet preet guriaa mohan laalnaa"

"mayray mun prem lago har theer"

"so satgur pyaaraa mayray naal hai"

"mun rae kyon chootai bin pyaar"

"saach kahoun sun layo sabhai jin praym keeo thin hee prabh paaeio"

enough said.

I wish all the best for the woman who wrote the book and I will try to get the book and read it to learn what cause

d her to abandon the path to sach khand; but I just wish she'd chosen a better title.

bhul chuk maaf karnaa jee

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Sadly there is no equality in gender in sikhism as our guru jee wanted to have.. BUT its definately not the fault of SINGHS or male in sikh society.. it's Females faults in it.. They don't come forward... they wanted the equality the easy way.... Sorry, but its true.. if they want to have equality then work for it.. come forward and Just do it.. Soccer ball doesn't comes to you... one has to run for it.. (unless one is goalie tongue.gif ).. above is my 2 cent thought on this topic.. I so badly wanna see singhnia being fwd and being active in our community.. thats the way it shud be..

Regarding teh book.. i seen that book several times on ebay and good news is that it never gets high bid haha :umm:

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

ummmmmmmmmmm

I KIIIIIIIIIIND of agree with Vicky Singh veerjee... but not totally

I mean to say that... this whole problem has started because of cultural restrictions, and cultural restrictions are acted out by men, but reinforced by women when they become mothers and mother-in-laws

i feel that if men stopped taking unfair advantage of their cultural power, and if women and men BOTH stopped teaching cultural inequality to their kids, future generations might be in a better position

also i feel that as sikhs move into different cultures - some of these problems will lessen.

bhul chuk maaf karnaa jee

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I agree with both of you. It can easily be proven that this book was written to manipulate Sikhs about conversion but this is not the point of starting this thread. I just wanted to see how many people actually believed with this. The thing about Narinder, the person who converted to Christianity, might never have practised Sikhi, or even have came any bit closer to it and sadly she says that what she found in Christ, any other guru didn't have it...

How can you expect something from your teacher without even becoming his student? But again, please keep this out of the discussion, I will myself start a different thread for this once I finish reading this book, which I just got today in mail.

Guest rsingh

i just skimed through, i think over the fast few years we have seen an increase in the number of sikh women comin forward and giving the contribution. wat i dont understand is the gurus gave equality, etc.

if we look at sikhi and imagine it as a rose. women are have been and always will be the roots, they keep the panth growin. if u get wat i mean. e.g look at how mothers gave there childrens lives for sikhi and the mogule made nikleses of there dead children and put em around there necks. they took it as gurus pana.

our sisters, mothers need to come forward only then can we move forward.

they say a mother is not a polatician but if u tink bout it shes like the priminister, president, UN all roled in to one. :e: she negotiates between allies and rogue states meaning ur bruvs and sisters and finds a peacful setlement. maybe that wat we need in the world of polatics. :D

got a bit carried away any way my 1 & 1/2 pence :umm:

I agree with both of you. It can easily be proven that this book was written to manipulate Sikhs about conversion but this is not the point of starting this thread. I just wanted to see how many people actually believed with this. The thing about Narinder, the person who converted to Christianity, might never have practised Sikhi, or even have came any bit closer to it and sadly she says that what she found in Christ, any other guru didn't have it...

How can you expect something from your teacher without even becoming his student? But again, please keep this out of the discussion, I will myself start a different thread for this once I finish reading this book, which I just got today in mail.

this just DISGUSTS ME :umm: @

Yes Christ was a good man

but what she found in Christ any other Guru dind't have it jus mkaes my blood boil :D @

has she had PREM

TRUE PREM?

I guess not

Veer jee

is it possible you mail me the book - cause u got it in mail :T:

bhull chukk maaf

GurFAteh

Sat Sri Akal:

No comment for the author of the book...not my place.

Sikhism clearly has no restrictions or inequalities based on any worldly disposition, including gender. Other religious books make it a point to assign women inequality and restricted roles (go ahead...read for yourself), but in the Guru Granth Sahib, the woman is defended and her rights secured by the Guru Sahib. Whenever, the Khalsa is praised, it is never differentiated into males and females. The soul of the individual is of the same source, regardless of the physical differences. It is this soul that counts, not male and female, in the becoming of a Khalsa.

Are Kaurs equal to Singhs? Absolutely! She who has taken Khandae-Batta-Dah Amrit and follows the Rehat Maryada with diligence is every bit the Khalsa as her male counterpart. To this example are the stories of many Sikh Saint-Warrior women in history. Mata Bhag Kaur (Mai Bhago) herself did not shy away from combat. Rather, she inspired the dejected 40 Bedawai Singhs back into Sikhism and towards liberation. She was every bit the Sikh that any Singh was. And she is not some random exception, as other history on other Sikh women also display such courage and determination.

Currently, the issue of whether women should do sewa in Gurudwaras (especially Harimandir Sahib) is running hot. I ask the question to those who say no to women, why not? Would you reject Mata Bhag Kaur to do this sewa. On a personal note, would you reject your own mother, who taught you the fundamentals of Sikhism, from sewa? Guru Sahib never made that distinction or said this or that is something women cannot do. The true dilemma lies in whether women ar

e determined to claim this equality. It is ultimately the Sikh women who must say we want equality and fight diligently for it. DO NOT depend on the Sikh men to give Sikh women that right to be equal...sieze it from whoever denies it to you! It is the right of the Sikh woman to have this equality and to serve in every capacity that a Sikh man can.

Anyone who denies that women are not on equal footing to men in Sikhism should be adequately prepared to give quotes from Gurbani or references from history to prove their point.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

wat botu all the people that found it only in sikhi?

hari nam singh je was lost, he tried every religion, but when he was sitting in sangat at the gurudwara, he says a light came to him and told him to take amrit

vaheguru

bhula chuka maf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!