Guru Nanak Dev Ji statue

Guest SikhForLife

im not sure what u mean by

a photo or image IS something that can help to concentrate the mind and meditate...at first. However, as one progresses along the spiritual path, it becomes a heck of a lot of trouble because the mind cannot move beyond the image in their head.
but i dont think its approriate at all.. image is not God.. false worshipping is a waste.

Gurdaas Jee's VAAR page 11

gurumukh sukh ful pirum rus dhaeh bidhaeh vuddae veechaaree

Such gurmukhs attain the fruit of happiness and giving up the pride of body, and becoming bodiless they become serious thinkers.

gur mooruth gur shubudh sun saadh sunguth aasun nirunkaaree

The word of the Guru is their idol and the holy congregation is the seat of the formless Lord.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

ms514, the singh i went to asking about this a while back is a very chardikala singh. and the higher spirtually hes gotten, the more prem he has shown towards pictures. well for example, when i say fateh to a photo of guru sahib or even matha tek to one, i feel as im saying fateh or doing matha tek to guru sahib himself. it doesnt matter what the picture looks like. its who the picture represents. if you get my jist...

this debate wont ever end. its all ones opinion. if you feel its right, go for it. if you dont, then still no harm is done.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Guest rsingh

I completly disagree, photos staues both the same, worship of idols is a hindu custome we should not need photos when we have all ten gurus sitting on one thrown as Dhan SGGS ji. how do we know these photos resemble guru ji, from my little knowledge i belive Guru ji never let pictures to be drawn. think of it like this imagine something very beautiful how will u draw it every one will have there own interpretation it iss not possible to capture an exact or the essence of the spirit.

Guest mehtab

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I have a lovely picture of Guru Gobind Singh in my room, and a beautiful picture of the 10 Gurus beside my bed, and a picture of Sri Harmandir Sahib in front of my table, but do I worship any of these, definitely not! Pictures at times serve as reminders, and make you aware of Gurujee's presence, whether you are scared, or depressed, or having second thoughts about doing something wrong. You are reminded that Gurujee is watching. But yes worshipping pictures and/or statues is forbidden.

bhul chuk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Guest rsingh

I agree with what both Rochak Malang & Balait_da_Sher but for some reason people dont understand that. people get photos and put thoof in front next to a statue of devi and say they pray. huh how does that work :umm: another thing i dont agree with putting photos infront of guru granth sahib, some gurudwaras do that and also bowing down to photos matha tak and stuff as It is clear that we shud only bow to SGGS ji and no one or any thing else.

my two pence

Agreed with Aboev

IMAGES AND PHOTOs AND IDOLS are WRONG

We are thaught that (this might be answering Balait Da Sher) that

'VAHO VAHO BANI NIRANKAR HAI'

BANi, and BANI ONLY is the roop of God

One who tries to portrate Guru Sahib or God is a Fool!

And so is one who thinks God can be found in Idols!

Please read the Translation of Swaiye Sahib -

'Kou Butan kau Poojat hai....'

bhull chukk maaf

GurFateh

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

you guys just arent hip to it yet. believe it or not, having a picture up of the gurus next to your bed is a form of worshipping cuz apparently it means something to you. one person said ONLY bani is the roop of god. ok, but are you also gonna tell me you dont have any of the gurus pictures hanging up? cuz if you do, youve just contradicted yourself.

i apologize if ive offended anyone

bhul chuk maaf

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

you guys just arent hip to it yet. believe it or not, having a picture up of the gurus next to your bed is a form of worshipping cuz apparently it means something to you. one person said ONLY bani is the roop of god. ok, but are you also gonna tell me you dont have any of the gurus pictures hanging up? cuz if you do, youve just contradicted yourself.

i apologize if ive offended anyone

bhul chuk maaf

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

1 - Infact I don't - I just got a massive poster of Harimandir Sahib ji! Photos,pictures and drwaings don't fancy me!

2 - EVEN if I did, I would have it as Rochak Veer said -

but do I worship any of these, definitely not! Pictures at times serve as reminders, and make you aware of Gurujee's presence, whether you are scared, or depressed, or having second thoughts about doing something wrong. You are reminded

that Gurujee is watching. But yes worshipping pictures and/or statues is forbidden.

Atleast it's better than having ur walls full of dirty pics.

I used to have pics of Guru ji, but don't now. I feel feel the need, when we got Bani at home, that's all we need :umm:

p.s as I said - EVEN if I did , it might be as a REMINDER that Guru ji is watching me - and not for any worship purpose

Now 'Anon ji'

Please read the translation of Twa Parsad Swaiye

'Sravag Sug Smu Sidan ke'

read the whole bani, and the translation

take a special note of the last stanza!

bhull chukk maaf

GurFateh

i agree with most of you, that idol worshiping it totally wrong and we should not pray to pictures and statues, etc, etc... i don't believe in it... however sometimes i think the same thing when i bow in front of the Guru Granth Sahib. i Know we do this out of respect and out of whats IN the book... but seems a lil strange? Someone once told me is it better to have the SGGS on the bookshelf so one can read it all the time.... or should we wrap in silk and let it sit there in a thrown? i said why can't we not do both? well i dunnno im confused lil princess but some stuff that some people do makes you think.... i got asked this question by a seven year old at sikh youth camp.. its amazing what kids can think...."why do we worship the SGGS then?"