The Rules Of Eating Meat For Sikhs :s

gurmzz

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guyz

All of my family and relatives don't eat any sort of meat on tuesdays( we are sikhs who cut hair)the question is that is there some rule in Sikhism for not eating meat on tuesday?

thx..

Fateh!

No, it's a Hindu tradition that comes from jyotish (astrology) because Tuesday is the day of Mars who is considered an unlucky planet.

I have Punjabi family who say you should not start any venture or do anything risky on Tuesday. Needless to say, it has nothing to do with Gurmat.

K.

well there's is nothing like tuesday or thursday phobi in sikhism...either stop eating it permanently or stop worrying about days...i used to live with friends (hindu) who used to avoid eating during navratras and used to observe fast and eat special kind of rotis only made from kuttu atta...never used to eat anything else during 9 days...!!!

but 10th day they used to hold barbeques with every variety of meat being served in it...whats the use of such pakhands...its all superstition...!

I have to say I view the so-called rules whereby somebody is supposed to abstain from something or another for a set period of time for the sake of religion with suspicion. These include:

-Not eating meat on Fridays and some holy days for Catholics. But they can eat fish! (Do fish not feel pain or have blood just because they live in the water?)

-Ramjan "fasting" for Muslims. They eat a big breakfast, and sit down at their dinner tables in the evening so they don't have to waste a second after sunset before eating.

-Jews don't work on Saturdays, what they call the "Sabbath". So they don't ride elevators, either. Or use electricity. But it's OK if someone else turns it on for them.

-Fasts of all kinds in Hinduism, including karva chauth.

-"Moderate Sikhs": Mainstream Sikhs eat anything that moves, but don't eat meat on Tuesdays or Sundays or some day that a Brahmin tells them not to. Come on, get on one side or the other. Either be man enough to hunt or kill your own food, or abstain from meat altogether, like sant-mat believers do. Eating meat, but abstaining on "holy days" is a farce. If it's a sin to eat meat, it's a sin every day of the week. And if it's not, it's not on a "holy day", either.

-"Moderate Sikhs": Mainstream Sikhs eat anything that moves, but don't eat meat on Tuesdays or Sundays or some day that a Brahmin tells them not to. Come on, get on one side or the other. Either be man enough to hunt or kill your own food, or abstain from meat altogether, like sant-mat believers do. Eating meat, but abstaining on "holy days" is a farce. If it's a sin to eat meat, it's a sin every day of the week. And if it's not, it's not on a "holy day", either :cool: .

Nice put!

<<<< Moderate Sikhs": Mainstream Sikhs eat anything that moves, >>>>

I wouldn't really call them moderate Sikhs, more like people who call themsleves Sikhs but are really not Sikhs. ;-)