Jakara

S1ngh

This has nothing to do with hating culture or with being "Talibanistic"

Guru shaib has more than clearly said dancing is wrong as you can see in bhenjis post above which are DIRECT quotes from guru granth sahib.

On top of this numerous rehatnamas say that those who listen to dirty lyrics are thankhahiya. those that dance are thankhahiya (worthy of punishment)

with such strong words from guru sahib and gursikhs in history against dancing, i am still surprised about how sikhs can support such a useless thing.

and dhol reverberating in your heart? what nonsense! the only thing you need to reverberate in ur heart is naam.. when naam is vibrating in your heart you can see and feel things others have only dreamed of, you are connected with everything around you and with other gursikhs in such a beautiful and undescribable way.. who needs dhol? :wub:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

I have seen these statements made in the past and they are always false. These comments are taken out of context and without understand their meanings. I have done translations of these on GT Road Radio, specifically stanzas from Asa Ki Vaar (that one referenced 'Ram-Leela'). If you provide me page numbers and whatever you feel is the most 'damning' against dancing, then send me that page number and I will proceed to translate it. Until then, do not quote 'half lines' without meaning or context.

Gur Fateh,

deep

nach nach tapai bohut dukh pavai.. that one is straight forward

nachan tapan man ka chao - so is this one ie it is manmat

there are at least 100 gurbani tuks that condemn dancing and i dont have the time to post them all, i made a post last year or so about it somewhere where i did this...

Have you EVER heard of or seen a gursikh sant dancing? would baba jarnail singh ever get up and dance? would bhai randhir singh jee ever get up and dance? would bhai daya singh jee ever get up and dance? Would guru gobind singh ever get up and dance? NEVER

In fact all of you who support kharkoos so much and at the same time support dancing, the kharkoos destroyed disco halls in punjab and condemned dancing openly as well.

ANY gursikh in history of ANY jathebandi or time period has condemned dancing and that is a FACT.

Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee (some of his writings are considered bani)

thriyaa raag sunehi chith laae || sunahu laal so jamapur jaae ||17||

Those who listen to dirty lyrics and lustful tunes with attention, listen Nand Lal Jee, they will be punished by the angel of death.;

Guru Granth Sahib Jee Page 820/Guru Arjan Dev Jee Raag Bilaaval
maerae mohan sravanee eih n sunaaeae |&

#124; saakath geeth naadh dhhun gaavath bolath bol ajaaeae ||1|| rehaao ||

O my fascinating Lord, may I never listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||

Rehatnama Bhai Chaupa Singh

That Sikh who dances or listens to worldly songs is a thankhaheeya

Indulging in this kind of behavior (jumping around like monkeys on bhang (where the term bhangra actually comes from, farmers who would get high after a harvest) is unacceptable and unbecoming of a sikh. If one were to wear a dastar or panj kakkars into such a setting and make a fool of himself, he is not only doing beadbi of guru sahibs roop, but of guru sahibs dastar, and symbols. Such behavior is intolerable from a sikh.

why are we here? to jap naam, so why waste your time in such filth when all it will do is take you away from naam and guru sahib?

fgmg Cwif ry mn baurw ]

ddagamag shhaadd rae man bouraa ||

Stop your wavering, O crazy people!

Personally, I don't have a problem with dancing, but I think what a lot of people are concerned about is what type of dancing is going on... Are people dancing for the sake of dancing or are they dancing so that they can impress people from the other gender? I don't know if our gurus said that all dancing is wrong, but I think that the dancing which is used in a lustful manner IS wrong. Dancing is just another form of expression, and if it is used in a way where one is remembering God at all times - then it isn't a problem. But how many people actually think like this? How many people when dancing stop and think about the complexities that are involved in moving our bodies and the force that is guiding our actions? How many people actually contemplate the source of energy from which we have all been created? I don't know the answer to these questions, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but I think maybe it is important for people to question why they are dancing and why it makes them feel good... Is it because they are doing it for themselves or is it to impress other people? Or is it just for the sake of dancing and being present within one's own body and using dance as a form of connecting to one's own being/self?

I don't know if this made any sense at all, I hope it did!!

Waheguru jee ka khalsa

Waheguru jee ke fateh!!

First of all there's no doubt that Sikhi 100% discourage Humans to jump around and do bhangra on lyrics on castiesm,drugs,daru and so on.. (Im learning to keep myself away from those stuff.. its hard but im trying). Second of all : Yes one can do it if he/she wishes to do it but not under the banner of Sikh name like SSA or even Jakara. Have name like Punjabi Culture or something like that... No-one is judging here, all we are trying to tell our brothers and sisters that some things need to keep apart and yes as im original poster tried to get into touch with you guys several time over the email but never got the reply.. At the end Religion and culture do not go along... Why not have a raenshabeey, what about a bonfire with open air simran/keertan instead of parties in worse dress during late night ? Rest is in your hands veerjeeos/Bhaenjeeoos !!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Yeah singh, thats a great idea.. when SSAs in UK moved from just bhangra parties and formed organizations like boss and moved over to having simran programs SO MANY people took amrit, got into keertan, learned about sikhi, the same people who were partying, drinking, dancing before..

SSAs make a BIG difference, and if all you do is encourage manmat, then you will be stuck with manmukhs, but if you encourage gurmat, then you will have many many more gurmukhs in the future.

Personally, I don't have a problem with dancing, but I think what a lot of people are concerned about is what type of dancing is going on... Are people dancing for the sake of dancing or are they dancing so that they can impress people from the other gender? I don't know if our gurus said that all dancing is wrong, but I think that the dancing which is used in a lustful manner IS wrong. Dancing is just another form of expression, and if it is used in a way where one is remembering God at all times - then it isn't a problem. But how many people actually think like this? How many people when dancing stop and think about the complexities that are involved in moving our bodies and the force that is guiding our actions? How many people actually contemplate the source of energy from which we have all been created? I don't know the answer to these questions, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but I think maybe it is important for people to question why they are dancing and why it makes them feel good... Is it because they are doing it for themselves or is it to impress other people? Or is it just for the sake of dancing and being present within one's own body and using dance as a form of connecting to one's own being/self?

I don't know if this made any sense at all, I hope it did!!

:wub:

SOrry bhainji.... just wanted to point out.......

"........what type of dancing is going on?"

Hmmmmm..... i have never seen anyone dance for the sake of dancing. Expecially not in the punjabi culture, where all the songs that r danced on have all wrong meanings to it. Look at what all songs are saying, LOve this guy, Dump This Girl, Look at this girls hips, look at that guys chaal....i mean ok just look, who would be not dancing without any bad intentions involved.

This is what Deep bhaaji said, that brings vibrant in oneself ??? Hahahaha.... ohh man yes mKhalsa veerji answered it all, i dont agree one bit wit anyone that Bhangra, listening or dancing is wrong.

Bani says it all... listening, dancing, reciting is all wrong, as it pulls us away!!

Can we picture any of this helping us when we meet guru ji!?!?! Do we see us dancing, and doing nonsense or do we humbly sake the dust of our gurus feet. Think people.

And for those who say it doesnt say anywhere dancing is wrong in bani.... DOES IT SAY ITS OK !?!?!?! Does it say GO DO IT... WOULDNT EVERYONE BE DOING THAT THEN if that was da way and not doing naam!?!?!

sorry if i have said anythin wrong bhainji, it wasnt targetted towards u but ones who think its ok :)

bhul chuk maph

Sat Sri Akal:

Woah...some long as anything posts on this topic here. Let me anger some more people... :wub:

Let me just detail you something about Punjab culture that you guys say comes from the same land as Guru Sahiban. My father told me the procedures for dancing in his village. The women would do gidda by THEMSELVES in the company of women only. The men stayed away. If any man/boy was caught trying to spy on the women doing gidda, they were beaten to an inch of their life. Men did Bhangra with other men only. Women did gidda with women only. (And no, this was not some backward village... rolleyes.gif ). Is your organization following the same procedures?

Might want to ask your parents or grandparents exactly what Punjabi culture is...cause the poop floating itself as Punjabi culture today would make any Punjabi ashamed. You want to represent that Punjabi culture, then at least do it right.

Sorry for any offense you may feel from this post.