Baby Naming Rules

Gursikh Singh

^ Receiving a starting letter is not a rule. Its entirely optional. Its a tradition carried over from when our ancestors were Hindu (the hindus have the same tradition when choosing a name).

On the other point, its worth remembering that the 10th master named his son after a Persian name (Persian names were very popular among Sikhs in the early days) and some of the most common Sikh names of the past, such as 'Jarnail' and 'Karnail' were named after French army ranks when French was the official language of war of the Sikh Kingdom.

There are no rules for naming your child in Sikhi.

^ Receiving a starting letter is not a rule. Its entirely optional. Its a tradition carried over from when our ancestors were Hindu (the hindus have the same tradition when choosing a name).

On the other point, its worth remembering that the 10th master named his son after a Persian name (Persian names were very popular among Sikhs in the early days) and some of the most common Sikh names of the past, such as 'Jarnail' and 'Karnail' were named after French army ranks when French was the official language of war of the Sikh Kingdom.

There are no rules for naming your child in Sikhi.

Great!

I've always liked the name Alexander.

dont name him alexander. look to his future and think how he will have to cope with that name.

there are 12 Guru Sahibaan, numerous bhagats and bhatts, and thethi karor devi/devte. choose a name with some meaning, or some connection to God. and some name that will give him a link to his faith and culture.

The Punjabi name of Alexander is Sikander and Sikhs have been naming their children Sikander for a couple of hundred years now....So if you do too...it'll only be keeping with tradition. The name Alexander / Sikander and stories about his exploits in Punjab have motivated many a story teller and singer. 'Alexander Singh' has a great ring to it and is very true to Sikh naming history and Punjab. I've decided....I'm naming my next son Alexander :)