Dastar Bandi (turban Ceremony). Do People Still Celebrate It?

Balait_da_Sher

Cant remember the last time anyone in my family had dastar bandi ceremony. For me it is a memorable time in any young boy's life. When i tied my dastar, my parents and couple of relatives in uk just did ardas at home and i tied my first dastar. i have two nephews who i think should be tying dastars soon one is 11 and the other is 9. But they are in india and teens there seems to wear patka until they are adults nowdays.

So question is, do people still celebrate dastar bandi ceremony? Has this practise become less frequent in sikh families? I will be asking my sister when they are doing it cos i would happily fly back to india to tie a dastar on my nephews head.

Also if anyone has pics, upload them and share your experiences.

I think in today's age dastar bandi should be celebrated like a wedding, thanks to guys cutting their kesh off. Atleast someone realized the importance!

Thats why i posted the topic. In olden days , this was celebrated in a such a good way. All the family members used to attend it and kids mama ji would tie the dastar.

What about Singhniya? Is the dastarbandi only a male thing?

Can we not discuss this here please, lets at least discuss the topic first.

Dastarbandi is of Iranian origin and is still widely celebrated / practiced among muslims in Iran and Pakistan. Extremely common among those groups and that really does put us Sikhs to shame.

All the extended family get together and celebrate the tying of the dastar on the teenagers head. A very honourable thing.

One of the great mysteries of the world is why the people it applies to the most celebrate it the least. :sad:

I dint tie the typical Nok Style Turban till abt 20....and did nt want to glorify even when I thought I wud start wearing it....

lets say I was too comfortable being seen in Patka.....but just once I started wearing the Turban.....now I dont want to take it off....lolz.

I keep it on for hours and my mom keeps shouting that It is important to give it some rest....I reply ( when there is not too much heat) that it is the most comfortable wear that I can get into.

I feel that now I should probably do the Dastar Bandi celebration done all over.

comin back to the point after the boring tale /....the ceremony occurance has reduced....when I was small I used to hear a lot more people doin it.....but now it happens but just for one reason....which is as follows:

" Bhullar/Brar/Arora/etc etc de puttar de vele unan ne path rakhaya si.....te langar vi tasty siga..assi kyon na rakhiye..lok ki kehen ge"

Fateh

I think it is very important to have Daastar Bandi as it encourages youth to wear turban. When at first you try to wear turban, you feel little bit insecure (i did) by this change and with the good compliments from your friends, family and relatives it helps to boost your self-esteem. Plus you get money ;)