How Vammi Are You ?

Guest fordcapri

A few years I had an Akand Path at a Gurdwrda.

We questioned why Joyt was on while Gurbani Sahib was being recited, his answer was

“Allot of Hindus come here they ask for it” loll!!!!!! (No lie)

We then engaged in debate with the President and himself told us the roots of jyot was a one the most vammi things ive heard, he himself knew it was vammi and not logical personally he didn’t agree with Joyt , but only done as Hindus attending the Gurdwara asked for it.

The Joyt was promptly put out.

OK, I can understand why you're against Jot now. I agree that no part of Sikh practice should be done simply because some but-prasts (as Guru Gobind Singh calls them) want it.

The Gurdwara president failed to understand the import of Jot in Sikh practice.

But since it's now been explained, I'd like to invite you to modify your thinking on this matter.

I agree that bowing down to the flame, opening the box and waving your hand over it, or otherwise worshipping the flame is totally uncalled for.

Understand the true function of our traditions and educate the sangat, but don't denigrate the traditions.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fordcapri

Criteria for vaam

An erroneous perception of reality.

An erroneous concept or belief.

The condition of being deceived by a false perception or belief.

Something, such as a fantastic plan or desire, that causes an erroneous belief or perception.

Illusionism in art

Guest fordcapri

The Sikh faith condemns empty rituals and superstitions. The practice of blind rituals, worshipping of idols and inanimate objects, participating in religious fasts, pilgrimage to holy places, offering of food to sadhus (religious leaders), believing in any other such rituals, superstitions or fads or other meaningless rituals will not bring one closer to God nor make one a better human being.

In all societies round the world, through fear and uncertainty, members undertake in ritualistic and worthless behaviour at times of worry, uncertainty or trouble. These poor people, wrongly believe that undertaking these empty customs and penances will bring them special assistance from Waheguru or some other higher power.

The reliance on these blind customs appears to increase at time of stress in human existence.

Superstition is an irrational belief arising from ignorance or doubt. Many people all around the world are gripped by various superstitions and they live their lives in fear and uncertainty. Most of these fears are irrational and superfluous but they still cannot unbind themselves from these evil and false notions. Some common and well-known examples of superstitions are:

The Guru Granth Sahib says "The mind is diseased with doubt, superstition and duality."(SGGS p416) and also "High and low, social class and status - the world wanders lost in superstition." (SGGS p1243). Superstition is like a disease for the mind it brings confusion and fear and takes you away from reality.

Guest shastr

this thread is a joke. where is mehtab bhaji and his thread locks??

dhoof and jyot is a vammi thing to do ?? lol, where did u get that from??

in "gurbani paath darpan" written by pooran brahmgiani baba gurbachan singh ji khalsa bhindranwale, they have written the puraatan akand paath maryada, in which both dhoof and jyot are used. so that means baba ji was a vammi brahmgiani huh? lol

but i think sikh sangat has discovered a new mahapursh in the sikh kaum, baba ford capri ji internet wale.

kiya baat hai rolleyes.gif

this thread is a joke. where is mehtab bhaji and his thread locks??
I am NOT going to lock this thread :) . If I lock it, 5 people will ask me "Why did you lock it?" If I don't lock it, 5 others will ask "Why don't you lock it?"

Go ahead, fight among yourselves and prove to yourself (not to me) that you (and me) are the "worthy" sons of Dasmesh Pita Ji who can stay "united" and do "deserve" our own raaj. Once all have fought enough like those animals found in the streets in India (yes those ones), I will be glad to lock it down.

Until then, all of you, either discuss logically, or do what you always do best - FIGHT !!!!!

in "gurbani paath darpan" written by pooran brahmgiani baba gurbachan singh ji khalsa bhindranwale, they have written the puraatan akand paath maryada, in which both dhoof and jyot are used.
For some weird reason (maybe my 6th sense does work after all), I could sense why this thread was started. What I have quoted is exactly where fordcapri MIGHT be trying to get at.

Once again, any words posted against ANY Mahapurakh on this forum will NOT be tolerated.

in "gurbani paath darpan" written by pooran brahmgiani baba gurbachan singh ji khalsa bhindranwale, they have written the puraatan akand paath maryada, in which both dhoof and jyot are used.
For some weird reason (maybe my 6th sense does work after all), I could sense why this thread was started. What I have quoted is exactly where fordcapri MIGHT be trying to get at.

Once again, any words posted against ANY Mahapurakh on this forum will NOT be tolerated.

i use jyot and dhoof.

I some times use the stick dhoof and some times the powdered dhoof you put on hot coals.

Which dhoof do most people here use

The Sikh faith condemns empty rituals and superstitions. The practice of blind rituals, worshipping of idols and inanimate objects, participating in religious fasts, pilgrimage to holy places, offering of food to sadhus (religious leaders), believing in any other such rituals, superstitions or fads or other meaningless rituals will not bring one closer to God nor make one a better human being.

In all societies round the world, through fear and uncertainty, members undertake in ritualistic and worthless behaviour at times of worry, uncertainty or trouble. These poor people, wrongly believe that undertaking these empty customs and penances will bring them special assistance from Waheguru or some other higher power.

The reliance on these blind customs appears to increase at time of stress in human existence.

Superstition is an irrational belief arising from ignorance or doubt. Many people all around the world are gripped by various superstitions and they live their lives in fear and uncertainty. Most of these fears are irrational and superfluous but they still cannot unbind themselves from these evil and false notions. Some common and well-known examples of superstitions are:

fordcapri, did you mean to post that on http://marxists.org and mistakenly came to sikhsangat.com?

Anyway, care to explain how your definitions of vehm would not apply to the list of Sikh practices that I posted above?

In all societies round the world, through fear and uncertainty, members undertake in ritualistic and worthless behaviour

Like nam simran? The superstitious belief that repetition of the name of a supposed supernatural power will cause that power to grant boons on the reciter?

Do you light toof, Jot? Believe in superstitions? Believe in un-scientific miracles associated with people of a religion? Omens?

Add common vamms within our people lets discuss them.

VaheGuruJeKaKhalsaVaheGuruJeKeFetah

u got to remember not everyone in the world is in a Sikhi saroop chinese they light incense sticks to ward off evil spirts people in south america light Jhotss to rid the world of darkness i know where u comming from but i thought i say my point others peoples rituals are superstitious to us but so are ours to them

VaheGuruJeKaKhalsaVaheGuruJeKeFetah0