What Made Maharaja Ranjit Singh Such A Great Sikh Leader

do you feel good now - i love the way you twisted my words and came out with all this garbage - stick to the topic - amritdhari or not - we all have to contribute to sikhe - some more than others -whether amritdhari or not - we all owe sikhe. Calm down darling stop twisting and taking my words out of context - this is what is wrong with youth - hope admins are paying attention - out of nothing you create rss horseshite.

yes i hope admin are paying attention to your anti amritdhari comments and foul words, i am not a youth so you are making it up again as usual ! you have been exposed !!

Maharaja was not a womaniser.

what did he get the lashing for by Akali phoola singh ?? - read history - he built a bridge for prostitiue- correct me if i'm wrong - how many wives did he have?

In the above posting you say in reply to chatanga as above

Then if he was not Amritdhari as you say, why did he get lashings !!, you dont have a clue what you are talking about, He had some say 125 wives, but that was because a lot of the time poor people begged him to marry there daughters, so they could have some sort of status to help them out of poverty not because he was a womaniser, would you say the same about some of our Guru's who had more than one wife!!, stop trying to make him out to be some sort of jack the lad!

yes i hope admin are paying attention to your anti amritdhari comments and foul words, i am not a youth so you are making it up again as usual ! you have been exposed !!

what did he get the lashing for by Akali phoola singh ?? - read history - he built a bridge for prostitiue- correct me if i'm wrong - how many wives did he have?

In the above posting you say in reply to chatanga ji as above

Then if he was not Amritdhari as you say, why did he get lashings !!, you dont have a clue what you are talking about, He had some say 125 wives, but that was because a lot of the time poor people begged him to marry there daughters, so they could have some sort of status to help them out of poverty not because he was a womaniser, would you say the same about some of our Guru's who had more than one wife!!, stop trying to make him out to be some sort of jack the lad!

mr sat - great words thanks in advance - from where it started and where it is not what great input - can u see where this is going now? are we happy with this debate? how skilled we are - absolutley top rock

he got lashings for watching a girl dance, but if you read the story for a little longer, this girl, who the Maharaja fell in love with on seeing her, became his wife and his life-long confidante.

Maharaja was not a womaniser, he didnt just get involved with any woman and then discard her, once he was fulfilled. He married several wives, which is not against Gurmat, and he took widows as wives, which saved them from becoming satis. He made provisions for their welfare and safety. He was not inhuman or devoid of campassion. Remember that Maharaja personally never ordered anyone to be executed, even enemies.

On a personal level, i an thinking that there are 2 possibilities of Maharaja having taking amrit or not. One side being that he didnt, and the other side being that he did, but was lax on the injunction on alchohol, or it may not have even been made known to him. Macauliffe stated in his book, that all sections of Sikh society from the rajas to the villagers had people who didnt know that alcohol was prohibited.

in further reading on the life of Maharaja Duleep Singh, it states that Duleep Singh wanted to take pahul and become a Sikh again. One of the sikhs who acted as a pyara was a person who drank a lot. i will try and find this book out.

he got lashings for watching a girl dance, but if you read the story for a little longer, this girl, who the Maharaja fell in love with on seeing her, became his wife and his life-long confidante.

Maharaja was not a womaniser, he didnt just get involved with any woman and then discard her, once he was fulfilled. He married several wives, which is not against Gurmat, and he took widows as wives, which saved them from becoming satis. He made provisions for their welfare and safety. He was not inhuman or devoid of campassion. Remember that Maharaja personally never ordered anyone to be executed, even enemies.

On a personal level, i an thinking that there are 2 possibilities of Maharaja having taking amrit or not. One side being that he didnt, and the other side being that he did, but was lax on the injunction on alchohol, or it may not have even been made known to him. Macauliffe stated in his book, that all sections of Sikh society from the rajas to the villagers had people who didnt know that alcohol was prohibited.

in further reading on the life of Maharaja Duleep Singh, it states that Duleep Singh wanted to take pahul and become a Sikh again. One of the sikhs who acted as a pyara was a person who drank a lot. i will try and find this book out.

what planet are you on sir - ? I disagreee - you need to read further - The akalis at the time used to throw horseshite at maharaja for his stupidty and this is factual. However to be fair I still say that kicked a** amritdhari or not - i have respect for him.

Gurmat you talk of is warped - alchol at that time Sikhs didn't know about it - how absurd?

So, polygamy is allowed?

its not a question of it being allowed or not.

what planet are you on sir - ? I disagreee - you need to read further - The akalis at the time used to throw horseshite at maharaja for his stupidty and this is factual. However to be fair I still say that kicked a** amritdhari or not - i have respect for him.

Gurmat you talk of is warped - alchol at that time Sikhs didn't know about it - how absurd?

Sir, i'm on the same planet as yourself. I have not personally said that Sikhs at that time were not too aware of the injunction of alcohol. This was first mentioned on a forum under a topic called " why do many sikhs drink ". I dont know if it was on this forum, but Dal singh brought to our attention a passage from a Macauliffe writer, who observed in person at that part in history that the Sikhs were not too clued up on the injunction on alcohol.

Further to this, i managed to read this book on phone and it confirmed what Dal had posted. These were the observations of the writer. Now bear in mind the speed of communication between person to person on an individual level, was the speed of a horse and its rider, but the communication between the Sikh leaders and the Sikhs spread out in the villages of north west india was considerably slower. So this could count as factor as well.

Also considering the droves that the Sikhs left Sikhi after the fall of the Lahore Darbar, may also infer that the Sikhs were not to bothered by breaking injunctions.

All in all, the observations of a man, who saw it in the first person cannot be discounted. I will try and locate that book again if i can.

The Akalis had a love-hate relationship with Maharaja, they hated his remodelling of the Sikh army etc but throwing horse manure or any other object at Maharaja could not have to do with HIS stupidity. The man was a genius. It could only have to do with some disagreements on policy.

Well, I'm asking. Is polygamy allowed?

This, sir, i am going to ask you to find out for yourself. Do a search on this forum about polygamy. I am not going through it all again.

This is from Macauliffes book:

It is known to every Sikh that tobacco is forbidden by his religion, but it is not generally known that wine is equally forbidden. After I had quoted the Sikh tenets on this subject in public lectures at Simla, it was taken up by the enlightened Singh Sabha of Patiala; and a resolution in favour of total abstinence was signed by several of the best educated and most influential Sardars of the State.

Macauliffe in preface to The Sikh Religion (1909)

This, sir, i am going to ask you to find out for yourself. Do a search on this forum about polygamy. I am not going through it all again.

This is from Macauliffes book:

It is known to every Sikh that tobacco is forbidden by his religion, but it is not generally known that wine is equally forbidden. After I had quoted the Sikh tenets on this subject in public lectures at Simla, it was taken up by the enlightened Singh Sabha of Patiala; and a resolution in favour of total abstinence was signed by several of the best educated and most influential Sardars of the State.

Macauliffe in preface to The Sikh Religion (1909)

But that is over half a century since the death of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and his infamous 'pearl wine'.