What Made Maharaja Ranjit Singh Such A Great Sikh Leader

He was powerful, righteous, and a humble being. He treated all religions with respect and everyone had freedoms.

If he made a mistake, he wasn't afraid to admit it.

He was summoned to the Harmandir Sahib for making a mistake regarding Sikhi, he acccepted lashings despite his powerful position.

what was his mistake regarding Sikhi, I have heard this before

I'm not sure and I asked this question serveral times as well. I quoted this off of a documentary, but it never stated what he did, nor did it say who he received the punishment from.

I think the punishment was received from Poola Singh.

Well he apparently when to melas etc... and listened to music at those meleh. Apprently he fell for a women and had asked to marry her. And when confronted about with by Akali Phoola Singh about him going to such melas he replied " This is what us kings do" I think Akali Phoola Singh had stopped Maharaja Ranjit singh from doing some type of seva (not sure what) but eventually Maharaja Ranjit Singh Asked for maafi and was lashed 10 times i believe.

The women had then said to Maharaja Ranjit Singh "you asked to marry me... i thought Sikhs dont go back on there word"

To which Maharaja Ranjit Singh replied " your right a Sikh never goes back on his word, but i was never a Sikh when i had asked you to marry me... its only now after the lashes have i become a Sikh.

My explanation might not be accurate or correct and might had missed things out but I had just heard this in katha from Baba Hardev Singh Lulo wale just last Sunday.

• 2 years later...