Singhs in movies: Johnny English

Bhullar

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

in league of extraordinary gentleman .... the sardar i for got his real name but he plays captain nemo ..... a super smart scientist and engineer who has his own Submarine (first ever built and super fast strong and deadly) , the first car ever devolped (which also had a V 12 engine tongue.gif ) his submarine all the controls were written in punjabi and the portrayed him as a tall strong man open dhara blue baster (type of bana) and a massive sham-sher. he was very fluent in english. alot of his crew was sikh they were also all very smart and they were fighters ..... it was like his own mini army and they all fought with guns and other shasters at the end of the movie. that movie def. made sikhs look good.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

it was like his own mini army and they all fought with guns and other shasters at the end of the movie. that movie def. made sikhs look good.

Minus Capt. Nemo worshipping Kali and the blatant Hindu diety statues that covered the submarine... :wub: @ :cool: @ ;) @

No one mentioned Kabir Bedi in Octopussy. I think this is probably the most famous image of Sikhs that was ever put on TV outside of India.

Sikhs are also shown in a Japanese classic called The Burmese Harp. The movie shows a Sikh regiment fighting the Japanese during WWII. Fortunately the Japanese have more sense than the losers who make Bollywood and show Sikhs with dignity and respect. You can also find Sikh soldiers some very old American movies about Hong Kong pre WWII. And Seven Years in Tibet showed Sikh soldiers as well. In some Persian dramas and movies about the British occupation of Persia, you can find Sikh soldiers as well. World cinema probably knows about Sikhs through an occasional portrayal of a Sikh soldier in WWII or as a soldier for the British empire.

Pakistani Punjabi films(which are probably even worse than Indian Punjabi films) like to portray Sikhs in their movies every now and then. The Sikhs are shown either as cruel and heartless arch-villains or as noble but misguided heroes.

I don't think Sikhs have been portrayed too many times in international cinema otherwise. I have yet to see a Sikh in a Spanish, Latin American, Russian, German, French, African or Italian movie.

• 5 months later...
Guest noonespecial

Captain Nemo was praying to some Hindu diety.

and just a little tidbit of information..

..in the ORIGINAL English Patient novel written by Micheal Ondaatje the SINGH is the one who the woman falls in love with. Not the white guy..

But I guess that story wouldn't fly with Hollywood so they changed it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Vahegurooo Ji Ka Khalsaaah, Vahegurooo Ji Ka Fateeeh!

I have just been watching "Sherlock Holmes: The Sign of Four" on BBCTwo. This particular episode starred John Thaw, who played a character who travelled India during the Raj and it had three characters portraying Singhs in that era.

The names of the characters were Kartar, Inderjit and Jagdish. They had the full Kesh and paghs.