Queue Systems In Gurdwara

MentalSingh

I have made a number of points on this topic supporting queuing for langar........... and whilst at the gurdwara this weekday morning, I realised that the only people serving langar were elderly people - of whom some were sitting on chairs (for support) as they served the passing sangat. I didn't spot many athletic, able young persons doing sewa.

Surely, it would not be practical for these elderly people to be walking up and down the langar hall carrying balti's full of dal?

Surely, it would not be practical for these elderly people to be walking up and down the langar hall carrying balti's full of dal?

surely it is better that the elderly move about more and use their joints more, so serving langar and moving about is the ideal way. :)

And that's where our opinions differ, you see I and many others believe it does and that is why langar is served like this in so many gurdwaras.

You have an opinion on this topic because you go against Guru Sahib's system. All I am doing here is telling you that Guru Sahib used and implemented the system which your against. I don't have an opinion here. here is the defintion of a opinion. Surely in this discussion it needs to be presented.

'a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. '

You have a belief that the queue systems is better and should not be changed in the Gurdwaras where it is present. Then go further into the definition you find that your opinion is insufficient to produce complete certainty. Meaning it's a load of horse manure.

When i speak of the way instilled at Harmandir Sahib then im speaking about Guru Sahib's way and this system is sufficient to produce complete certainty. Im going on facts and what the authority of the Sikh religion says. But you say it's not which means your doing nindiya of Guru Sahib's teachings.

here is another eample. Say a person says cutting hair is not part of Sikhi. This is an opinion and also insufficient for certainty because the authority of Sikhi, the Gurus, said to keep hair uncut. The person who tells him the Gurus said to keep hair uncut is not voicing his opinion, but repeating what an authority said.

The majority of the sangat who are okay with langar being served at the same level are not crazy, do you really think an act opposed to our gurus ideals and teachings would be allowed in so many gurdwaras?

Today we have meat being served at Gurdwaras, so yes practices that are against Guru Sahib's teaching are going into Gurdwaras. And majority doesn't mean anything in Sikhi. If you look around a Gurdwara majority of the sangat is cutting hair does that make the act right? IT's a big fat NO. Sangat can be completely ignorant of the facts, which is prevailing out here on this discussion and some of the sangat are purposely changing from Guru Sahib's teachinges for whatever reason.

Its clear to me that we live in a different society to that when our Guru ji's were alive. The world has changed. I think what's important is what langaar symbolizes ( a togerthness and equality) not how it is served.

Good point lets just install free vending machines, next to the parsahd stick a self service sign. Lets forget about sucham. after all its much more effcient.

Better still, why bother making langer lets just buy it, cause im sure theres no ever available to make. Lers just get a self catering firm in.

Brainwave, lets franchise out the langer. It raises money and solves the proble that no one shoud do any seva!

i can just imagine the akand paath invite....

Sri Akand paath bhog followed by subway ka langar

I have made a number of points on this topic supporting queuing for langar........... and whilst at the gurdwara this weekday morning, I realised that the only people serving langar were elderly people - of whom some were sitting on chairs (for support) as they served the passing sangat. I didn't spot many athletic, able young persons doing sewa.

Did you help these elderly people? Surely you show the concern for them, but did you even act on that concern? Honestly i am having a hard time believing you. I bet others feel the same way.

Let's take this in back to the system Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji started where the sangat sits down and sevadaars take the opportunity to serve the langar. Say everyone sat down and these elderly people also sat down since they Mr. Whitehorse is very concerned for their health. This would mean no one would serve the langar and some people will have to get up and serve it. The elderly are willing to get up, but their elders and we give them respect, same goes with older woman and men. Whose left to serve the langar? It's the young bucks, athletic people like Mr. Whitehorse. dust off your hands Mr. Whitehorse your problem is fixed. And i didn't have to event anything or use my opinion.

But do tells us if you helped this very elderly people.

WHy not use both like some Gurdwara's already do. After Bhog,etc, all the Sangat will have langar and as they all go together then they can sit down and be served. If someone comes earlier/later then they queue up. Simples.

Because the true teachings of Sikhi are lost in the queue system. When we present ourselves before Guru Sahib we lower ourselves down. When standing in line for langar people are recieving the gift of Guru Sahib's langar at equal levels and this is disrespect. Have you ever seen a sevadaar tell a Sikh to get down before he recieves langar. It's not a formality but way to kill the mind's ego.

Good point lets just install free vending machines, next to the parsahd stick a self service sign. Lets forget about sucham. after all its much more effcient.

Better still, why bother making langer lets just buy it, cause im sure theres no ever available to make. Lers just get a self catering firm in.

Brainwave, lets franchise out the langer. It raises money and solves the proble that no one shoud do any seva!

i can just imagine the akand paath invite....

Sri Akand paath bhog followed by subway ka langar

I assume you are also against the granthi using microphones and speakers during the paath to increase the range of his voice? That's also a modern adaptation. So now do you realise how ridiculous you sound?