Where Should I Send My Dasvandh?

tulwar

SikhNet-Logo-scale2.jpg

I wanted some advice from sangat i was thinking of giving my dasvandh to sikhnet but some one just put a little doubt in my mind regarding what they are actually doing with such a large sum of money. Personally i do think its a lot to ask for considering they are just providing an online portal / service. Has anyone here going to give dasvandh to some seva project if so please tell me other honest projects that are helping the sikh community or the khalsa panth.

VJKKVJKF

Just as TuheeTuhee says, my family are foregoing Christmas presents this year and are asking for cash instead and with what we have saved over the year, we are going to India and hopefully set up regular long term donations to aid as many as we can to improve their lives.

I had originally thought of donating to a Sikh charity but I'm worried about what percentage of donation acually goes to the needy.

It is the first time we are doing something like this and we are quite exited and the whole familly is involved so should be quite an experiance!

wjkk wjkf, as has been said before you should do seva with your own hand by helping the poor and unfortunate which will fill your soul with humility and joy as you witness the change personally.

I would help your own village by doing this we bring back the lost Sikh's who take from christian / fake sadhs and move away from Sikhi.

Just as TuheeTuhee says, my family are foregoing Christmas presents this year and are asking for cash instead and with what we have saved over the year, we are going to India and hopefully set up regular long term donations to aid as many as we can to improve their lives.

I had originally thought of donating to a Sikh charity but I'm worried about what percentage of donation acually goes to the needy.

It is the first time we are doing something like this and we are quite exited and the whole familly is involved so should be quite an experiance!

Aww, that's lovely! :happy:

I was speaking to them some time ago

I asked them how much out of every pound donated went to the needy and they stopped talking.

With all my heart I wish there was a Sikh charity that I could put my faith into.

I know I'd much rather donate to Khalsa Aid who have projects supporting Dharmi Fauji's over donating to Sikhnet whom take a salary for their "sewa"

If one can't trust anyone then gather the daasvandh (even if it take years) and whenever you get time to visit india, go there and spend daasvaandh the way you want to. You can arrange a short term work such as "arrange a sahbeel during summer months" or you can distribute comforters/kambal/rajai to homeless during winters. You can help someone who needs medical help (give money to hospital instead of giving it to patient). If you are rich and wants to donate in larger amount, you can start/sponsor a anti-drug treatment by offering temp jobs or spiritual workshops. Personally, i did some of the stuff on my own time and space and i can't tell anyone about the experience of doing both physical and financial sewa. I encourage all to try it at least once in your lifetime.

There are many ways to do stuff; Sikhnet and others are doing sewa for online services. People donate and will continue to donate because they know how hard it is to run something offering free services such as websites and other web-related services. It depends on your priority and your lifestyle. If one is tech savey, he/she will understand Sikhnet. If one thinks about 1984, he/she will stay with someone who take care of 84 families. If one is aware of world hunger and suffering of human conditions then he/she will support someone who does free langar @ odd places and pitch in for their medical needs.

So it really depend on what and how your prioritize the needs of our brothers and sisters in punjab or online. Encourage all to do keep up the good work and NEVER EVER bring any sort of competition NOR try to compare their motives/missions. Also, do not discourage others NOT TO give money to this or that organization regardless of what they do unless if they don't follow akal takht sahib. If one is clean from controversy, follows akal takht sahib then they are good enough to be supported by all.

WJKK WJKF,

VSingh made a fantastic point about going out to India or anywhere else for that matter and doing seva yourself... Not only is it fulfilling but you can also understand why seva is so important and how much dedication and commitment is required for it, hence why i applaud Khalsa Aid and SOPW.. I've been following both charities for some time now and seeing how they operate and when it comes down to it; how much money goes to actual seva, i can say from what i know about both charities that it is 100% as neither charity takes any money for salaries etc... i've seen the volunteers at programs and they too travel up and down the country using there own expenses... Best thing to do is speak to both Khalsa Aid and Sikh Organization for Prisoners Welfare (SOPW) and ask them what they do with the donations or even better how you can physically help.

Sorry if i've said anything to offend you.