Chairs

good

What about those that will bring up excuses of I got a bad knee. I can't sit for to long on the ground. I got a bad hip, I got a bad ankle, I got etc, etc. The excuses are not going to end.

Seriously? I'd love someone to tell my 80 yr old gran that. She'd tell them where to go! lol.

The gurdwarra is no boot camp.

Is it me or is this becoming more and more of an issue in recent times? I wonder how this situation of people not being able to sit on the floor was dealt with back in the days or even nowadays in India. I haven't seen a Gurdwara in India that have cinema seats in the darbar hall!!! There will be some legit people who have problems sitting on the floor and there will be other who will act/think they have problems, but they are only fooling themselves!

You know, to be fair, I haven't done a survey on the subject nor am I a doctor but.....judging from my own family experience I would say this : If you were to take 2 Sikh elderly sisters. Imagine one of them moved to the UK in the 1950's while the other one stayed back in the pend. We'll call them Gurmej Kaur (UK) and Surjit Kaur (rural Punjab). Gurmej Kaur spent 40 years working in a plastics factory in the west midlands. Surjit Kaur spent that time milking the cows and making roti on the farm. The cold icy weather, over the 40 years, played havoc with Gurmej Kaur's joints. The weather was kinder to Surjit Kaur's joints and bones. Surjit Kaur spent most of her making lassi, pure makhann and paneer. She drank gallons and gallons of milk and this hearty rural Punjab non-ghee diet made her body strong. Gurmej Kaur after coming home from a long shift in the factory each day satisfied herself with plain roti and daal and the one glass of pasteurised warm milk before bedtime.

Today.....40 years on....Surjit Kaur, like her mother before her, has no problem whatsoever sitting in the sangat at the village gurdwara.

But Gurmej Kaur..............She has been told by young fit able bodied sikhs in the UK that she, because she can't sit like them, is not welcome. :sad:

Today.....40 years on....Surjit Kaur, like her mother before her, has no problem whatsoever sitting in the sangat at the village gurdwara.

But Gurmej Kaur..............She has been told by young fit able bodied sikhs in the UK that she, because she can't sit like them, is not welcome.

It is all about ME. Where is the satkaar of Guru Sahib Ji?

It is all about ME. Where is the satkaar of Guru Sahib Ji?

Sorry. I have no idea what on earth you mean when you say "it is all about ME".

Look, I'm just articulating something I've noticed with all my elderly auntia. Some of their siblings are back in the pend.....some are in England...and some are in Canada / california etc. What I've noticed, with all my elderly auntia here in this country is that the hard work they've done in the factories since the 1950's and the cold weather, added together with a not too brilliant diet, have not been kind to their joints. Mt daddi ji has a twin sister who didn't emgrate back in the 50's but instead stayed in the pend. She spent her whole life cooking (while sitting on the floor), milking the cows (while sitting on the floor), making makhann and lassi (while sitting on the floor), cleaning (while in a squat position on the floor), peeling vegetables (while sitting on the floor)....added together with an absolutely fantastic diet of fresh produce. They are twin sisters. My daddi ji's joints, muscles and bones are at breaking point. My massi ji's joints, muscles and bones are as strong as a 30 year old.

Tell you what Bundha....I'd like to see you get up from your office chair and spend the next 40 years slaving away standing up in a factory to which you walk to in icy cold each day and then come home and barely have time to make dinner let alone eat a healthy fresh organic diet. I'd like you to be in the shoes of one these pioneers of the UK Sikh community, who through sheer hard work laid the foundation for your easy life here today........and then 40 years from now I'd like you to come face to face with a young Sikh like you are now. Who, because his joints and bones are young and fine, lectures you for finding sitting and getting up again so difficult. A young Sikh that implies that you are not welcome to the gurdwara because your joints and bones are not as good as his.

Tell you what Bundha....I'd like to see you get up from your office chair and spend the next 40 years slaving away standing up in a factory to which you walk to in icy cold each day and then come home and barely have time to make dinner let alone eat a healthy fresh organic diet. I'd like you to be in the shoes of one these pioneers of the UK Sikh community, who through sheer hard work laid the foundation for your easy life here today........and then 40 years from now I'd like you to come face to face with a young Sikh like you are now. Who, because his joints and bones are young and fine, lectures you for finding sitting and getting up again so difficult. A young Sikh that implies that you are not welcome to the gurdwara because your joints and bones are not as good as his.

Bhaji didn't mean to have a go at you personally but tell you wot, if I was in a position where my joints had seized up or I walked with a 'khundaa' and couldn't bend over or sit properly, I would still NEVER EVER sit on a chair infront of my Guru.

I would sit outside the darbar sahib, if that meant I sat and stared at a brick wall then so be it, but I would never sit inside on a chair infront of Guru Sahib Ji.

If I have committed past karam that mean I am not allowed to sit in the sangat on their level infront of Guru Ji then I would accept this and make it my duty to sit outside.

I would never let it get so far that a young sikh would scowled me for sitting on a chair in front of Guru Sahib Ji.

Where there is Guru there is no Me. where there is Me there is no Guru.

• 3 weeks later...