Takht Patna Sahib, Hazoor Sahib to defy Nanakshahi

Jahan Veerji,

1. I believe Sikhs are a nation, but a religious community also. I believe this because nation means state or 'a politically organized body of people under a single government'. There is no doubt that Sikhs are a politically organized people, our parliament is SGPC. In theory, our 'state elections' should be help every four years. This year that did happen. I am open for any dust thrown at me for this, but this is my belief that we are a nation....without boundaries or a single leader representing us....or a state system like other....we are a nation of students learning about God....we are attached to each other through the doctrine of Miri-Piri...working for Sarbat Da Bhala.

You can also catch me for certain details as: what about Sikhs outside Punjab, before SGPC was formed. etc. but as i said...i believe Sikhs are a nation. A nation does not need to represent any ethnic background, however should be based upon some ideological principles.

2 . I didn't say that anyone who doesn't accept NC is a Hindu, but that they do not accept the calender issued by Akal Takht.

3. The two Takhts outside Punjab: i am not undermining their authority, and i hope they do not undermine the authority of Akal Takht also.

4. 'We should stick with what is authentic'. Brother, do you mean BK? If you are not aware of this, within the Pandit circles (that have the authority to design BK), there is lots of discussion upon which Bikrami calender is right or wrong. The BK used by Sikh writers way one of the various BKs used by the Pandits.

If you mean the Dates of Gurpurabs, the Sanatani style of Bikrami dates celebrated by //

ious groups is outdated and certainly not authentic. In the articles written by PS Purewal, which do represent what recent Sikh historians have said, it is said that these dates are often not totally correct. If the question is about the authenticity or accuracy of a calender, the Nanakshahi should be chosen.

5. 'This date or that date'. Jahan Veerji, you have misunderstood my point. As English is not the language i use in my common speech, not living in an english speaking country, i might have been unclear in the writing. I am AS MUCH for historic reseach, and finding the accurate dates of the Gurpurabs, but my point was all the research scholars might have done till today, will be outdates in about a century. Scholars might find new evidence which till then had been hidden or not decoded. Perhaps that will give us a better understanding in the future, and maybe the SGPC [if that is our "parliament" in about the next 100 years] should revise the calender according to the findings of that periode. For ex. maybe some of that dates that now are fixed....maybe it is later found that they were actually a day before. So in this context i stressed that the authority of our Quami Approach/Sarbat Khalsa/Akal Takht in the future should be accepted even if they find that the date is a day before. And in that context i pointed out that having 'this date or that date doesn't really matter'; as what matters is that we accept the dates considered authentic by the Akal Takht, a representative body of Panth....AND that we celebrate Gurpurabs and remember what Guru Sahib did on those days and learn from them, shape our future from that.

Some might say: okeey...if we are going to have such a "wrong" calender...we can have Bikrami instead....NO. Since the research of today says that the traditional dates at some points are wrong, the Nanakshahi calender should be accepted as per today. The way i see it: those who defend the old calender, know that the dates they are using are wrong [as per t

odays research], but they won't accept this. For them tradition is more important.

6. What is the reason behind having a Nanakshahi calender: 'insecurity and attempt to rewrite the past to suit the political agendas of some' you say. A national identity, i say. Just like our Kakaars and our outward appearence. Here we have ideological differences, that should be respected. :wub:

Bhul Chuk Maaf Ji

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

Look, let me be a little frank (hmmm...why not a little Sam... :wub: ... rolleyes.gif ).

Seriously though, the Akal Thakat gave approval of the calendar after much debate and thought (it did take a few years...I am assuming that it was deliberation and pondering that took place at the time). Why were the respective organizations and Thakats not putting up a strong opposition then (I sorta kept track...from the trend of the news, it seemed as if most of the disputes were resolved and then the approval took place)? After all, they are also part of the Sikh Panth...why not bring to attention the points of contention BEFORE the calendar was approved, rather than undermine the authorities of the Akal Thakat a few years after the approval.

Now, if Thakat Hazoor Sahib, or any other Jatha/organization for that matter, has a problem with the Nanakshahi calendar, why not simply tell the Akal Thakat that they wish to engage in dialouge to voice their opinions and sentiments on the matter WITHOUT going to the newspapers? What benefit arises from showing brazen defiance in public newspapers and splintering the Panth with such a small issue (oh yeah...it's small. If only important issues like the declining Sikhi in the Punjab, intoxicants and Baba/Dera-ism got this much attention...). What does this public defiance of the Akal Thakat do except show Sikhs as a b

unch of in-fighting neanderthals?