Man'S Turban Stolen In Southampton Race Attack

Pyara

Cowardly and disgusting attack, I feel for our brother.

This just goes to highlight further how important it is to learn self defence and know how to look after yourself. Hard hitting arts are the way forward as you learn to hit hard and most importantly get hit hard i.e. you're tested under similar conditions you would be in, if you were in a real life confrontation. There is plenty out there it's just people need to be committed to train.

But in the end I really don't believe there is anything that can prepare you for the street. Weapons are a huge and dangerous problem and despite what people say there isn't much of a defence against a knife unless you also have one. On the street you can meet knives, bottles, bricks, blunt instruments and in this case multiple numbers. Situational awareness is the first part of "self defence" always be aware of your surroundings and usually when your instinct tells you something is wrong or something is going to happen, then I can assure you it will. Try to avoid getting yourself in a situation. If the worst happens and you have the odds stacked against you hit first, as the best defence is a good offence and move out of there quick. If you find yourself cornered then use anything in your hands. Keys double up well as brass knuckles etc. If it is multiple guys then don't concentrate on one and try to hit out as fast as you can and try to strike as many as possible and back away, knowing you are trying to escape.

I could go on but I hope what I said has been useful.

May Waheguru protect us all.

But in the end I really don't believe there is anything that can prepare you for the street. Weapons are a huge and dangerous problem and despite what people say there isn't much of a defence against a knife unless you also have one. On the street you can meet knives, bottles, bricks, blunt instruments and in this case multiple numbers. Situational awareness is the first part of "self defence" always be aware of your surroundings and usually when your instinct tells you something is wrong or something is going to happen, then I can assure you it will.

Again, I hear you, but reputations do seem to help in these things. I remember 'asians' being perceived as pushover, weak, cowards who couldn't defend themselves growing up. That led to a generation of asians who were super vicious and struck back - hard. In a short period of time, the multiple attacks on asians just stopped after some seriously vicious retaliation (often involving weapons such as machetes, axes etc.) In those days blacks and whites would target browns. Those guys who created the more peaceful atmosphere were no angels and sometimes would turn on each other violently too. But what they did made it easier for everyone. I think they purposefully went out to protect their community and send the message that if you target our people, we will find you and make you pay.

They didn't seem to show any fear in the face of weapons, being outnumbered or prison time. Maybe it's the time and environment that creates people like that?

I think our ancestors knew this and used it themselves? Maybe this is why this white man, who firsthand witnessed Moghul soldiers behaviour towards the Khalsa said this?

"Five hundred of Najaf Khan's horse dare not encounter fifty Sikh horsemen."

Colonel A.L.H. Polier 1776

Note: Please don't think I'm going on like a know it all here. I'm just bouncing some opinions and perspectives from experience.

Again, I hear you, but reputations do seem to help in these things. I remember 'asians' being perceived as pushover, weak, cowards who couldn't defend themselves growing up. That led to a generation of asians who were super vicious and struck back - hard. In a short period of time, the multiple attacks on asians just stopped after some seriously vicious retaliation (often involving weapons such as machetes, axes etc.) In those days blacks and whites would target browns. Those guys who created the more peaceful atmosphere were no angels and sometimes would turn on each other violently too. But what they did made it easier for everyone. I think they purposefully went out to protect their community and send the message that if you target our people, we will find you and make you pay.

They didn't seem to show any fear in the face of weapons, being outnumbered or prison time. Maybe it's the time and environment that creates people like that?

I think our ancestors knew this and used it themselves? Maybe this is why this white man, who firsthand was witnessed the Moghul soldiers behaviour towards the Khalsa said this?

Note: Please don't think I'm going on like a know it all here. I'm just bouncing some opinions and perspectives from experience.

Amazing quote.

I do agree with both of you, there is a fine line between convincing yourself that you can fight against sawa lakh and actually taking action to meet the standard.

From my little understanding, both very fine tuned war skill and mental war were important with the Khalsa.

I think our ancestors knew this and used it themselves? Maybe this is why this white man, who firsthand was witnessed the Moghul soldiers behaviour towards the Khalsa said this?

Brother thanks for your views and no you are not a "know it all" at all. It's productive and healthy that we exchange views and learn from one another.

I agree with your point and there are several examples that I could use that highlight your points.

The Bengali community in Tower Hamlets area faced a massive mount of racist assaults, some so brutal that it left people dead. I don't know if anyone remembers the Quddus Ali incident back in 93? I'm really showing my age lol. Anyway after this their youth went on the offensive and literally chased down and beat into submission the gangs of racists that were targeting their community. The area then gained the reputation.

You have our own community, when back in the 80's Gurdeep Singh Shaheed was kicked to death by skinheads and our community went into action. There was plenty of retalitory beatings and pubs used by these aggressors were also destroyed. Again it all stopped.

Bradford, Bury, Burnley etc. In the early days the Pakistani community suffered a great deal and that was until their youth in the early 80's onwards got together and took on their protagonists and again the harassment and attacks ended.

When Afro- Caribbean's arrived in the 50's they to also faced mass attacks on them. But then the Notting Hill riot of 1958 happened, when the young men defended themselves against rampaging "Teddy Boys". The attacks diminished.

With this brother being attacked we should go on mass to the police station and demand acton. A protest of 200 or so, handy Singh's, on the streets, not being aggressive would mean we meant business. After that we could hand out posters of E fit descriptions and offer a collective reward for the arrest of these vermin. Again this isn't war but ACTIVE work that would mean people think twice. If however we found them then......My lips are sealed. biggrin.gif

With this brother being attacked we should go on mass to the police station and demand acton. A protest of 200 or so, handy Singh's, on the streets, not being aggressive would mean we meant business. After that we could hand out posters of E fit descriptions and offer a collective reward for the arrest of these vermin. Again this isn't war but ACTIVE work that would mean people think twice.

I think the thing that swung things in the old days was the 'direct' approach. I personally have no faith in the old Bill and think it just perpetuates the victim impression when we run to them. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

The fact that they couldn't find the person/people who burnt down the Gurdwara in Bow, or the people that killed that Singh in Barking says a lot about relying on these people. Plus I know it's much better than the old days, still, those white coppers can be racist too. Again, it just makes us look weak, which is 90% of the problem.

I don't know if anyone remembers the Quddus Ali incident back in 93?

I don't know if it was this guy, but I remember a Bengali guy around this time whose faced got proper effed up - horribly, and they showed him on the TV after. That changed everything. I remember my friends at the time promising revenge if it happened to anyone of us. We were scared, we all knew it could have been any one of us - but enough was enough.

I remember the girlfriend of one of the attackers grassed him up.

I think our ancestors knew this and used it themselves? Maybe this is why this white man, who firsthand witnessed Moghul soldiers behaviour towards the Khalsa said this?

Dalsingh, you are right. I think it is the time and envrionment which creates people like that.

Me and my friend had a similar conversation and he too said that the reason asians werent so soft back in the day was because of the amount of racism we faced. But we both agreed that again, at present asians and particularly punjabis and sikhs have become pushovers. I think if this trend continues and theres more racism, we may find that we develop some sort of pride again and say enough is enough.

But we both agreed that again, at present asians and particularly punjabis and sikhs have become pushovers. I think if this trend continues and theres more racism, we may find that we develop some sort of pride again and say enough is enough.

The weirdest thing is Paks seem to have retained that street level deterrent in their manors, whilst we so called 'warriors' are becoming soft as marshmallows.

It's not good.

We'll get it from all angles, Paks, blacks, whites like this.

The weirdest thing is Paks seem to have retained that street level deterrent in their manors, whilst we so called 'warriors' are becoming soft as marshmallows.

It's not good.

We'll get it from all angles, Paks, blacks, whites like this.

Yeah I see that too, its true. The reason is, the muslims (pakistanis) have alot more pride than punjabis and sikhs. When it comes down to 'beef', they stick together because of their pride. Blacks in particular know this, thats why they stay away from them more. They are also more involved in corrupt actvities than young punjabi sikhs such as drug dealing. They are able to hold their reputation on the street because of this. Even though they are doing illegal activities, their pride in being 'muslim' and particularly pakistani remains. When you have a serious punjabi 'sikh' drug dealer, most of his associates end up being pakistani anyway and he doesn't care about being punjabi or 'sikh'.

And pakistanis being who they are, always pick on sikhs. They know we dont have pride anymore.

Yeah I see that too, its true. The reason is, the muslims (pakistanis) have alot more pride than punjabis and sikhs. When it comes down to 'beef', they stick together because of their pride. Blacks in particular know this, thats why they stay away from them more. They are also more involved in corrupt actvities than young punjabi sikhs such as drug dealing. They are able to hold their reputation on the street because of this. Even though they are doing illegal activities, their pride in being 'muslim' and particularly pakistani remains. When you have a serious punjabi 'sikh' drug dealer, most of his associates end up being pakistani anyway and he doesn't care about being punjabi or 'sikh'.

And pakistanis being who they are, always pick on sikhs. They know we dont have pride anymore.

I hear in Canada, its a different story. Punjabi 'sikhs' have the streets on lock apparently?