First Time At Gurdwara - How Should I Behave?

Guest ILMSMSBJJ

Guest ILMSMSBJJ

:waheguru:

Tomorrow i will Go to the Gurdwara Sahib.

I had never been there.

Please can you tell me how to behave there. What can i do, what will i do usually when i go to Gurdwara Sahib. I mean at first, when i come in...remove shoes, cover head, then???...i do not want to misbehave or break ranks. I think i have a good behaviour but i have a strong need to adapt myself.

Guest guptbhenji

Wjkk wjkf

then you matha tek (bow down) to Sri Guru Granth Sahibji with respect but should come from your heart as you want to not for showing others.

If you wish to do ardas or ask for blessing up to you.

Then sit down on the appropriate side eg: mens or ladies side.

And listen to the paath. Try to understand wat is being said. If you dont understand listen the vibes. Try to experience them if i said that right.

Forgive me if not explained that bit well.

Also if you can try to do simran.

Instead of looking around and engaging in conversation focus on bani, as that is the main reason one should go to gurdwara for.

I hope i explained that without any confusion.

Wjkk wjkf

Then sit down on the appropriate side eg: mens or ladies side.

No anywhere is appropriate. No such thing as Mens or Ladies side. It's just how most people sit. Men are allowed to sit where women normally sit and women are allowed to sit where men sit, theres no restriction. Don't fall for cultural practices it's not Sikhi related.

If your in a mixed group you can all sit together, even if one person is of different gender you can sit together. It's not hard just sit without alking much and follow the others in the sangat( congregation).

No anywhere is appropriate. No such thing as Mens or Ladies side. It's just how most people sit. Men are allowed to sit where women normally sit and women are allowed to sit where men sit, theres no restriction. Don't fall for cultural practices it's not Sikhi related.

If your in a mixed group you can all sit together, even if one person is of different gender you can sit together. It's not hard just sit without alking much and follow the others in the sangat( congregation).

i agree with veerji here, theres no such thing as a mens side or a womans side, if you go to india there is no such thing at the gurdware there, people sit anywhere and however they wish. there is no restriction to where you sit, just go bow down to shri guru granth sahib ji and sit wherever you please, and follow what others in the congregation are doing.

I think it's shows great maturity when someone takes the time to find out in advance.

All new comers need to do is, as you say

• Take your shoes and socks off
  • Wash your hands
  • Cover your head
  • Bow down in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj (you'll see every one doing this so just follow)
  • After that you just sit down, in silence, and simply listen.

Even some Sikhs who have been to the Gurdwara hundreds of times can't manage to sit in silence whilst in the Darbar of Guru Maharaaj, so if you managed to sit in silence whilst in the Darbar (main hall where Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is present) then you have already surpassed some of those forgetful Sikhs who keep on talking in Guru Ji's Darbar!

I think it's shows great maturity when someone takes the time to find out in advance.

All new comers need to do is, as you say

• Take your shoes and socks off
  • Wash your hands
  • Cover your head
  • Bow down in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj (you'll see every one doing this so just follow)
  • After that you just sit down, in silence, and simply listen.

Even some Sikhs who have been to the Gurdwara hundreds of times can't manage to sit in silence whilst in the Darbar of Guru Maharaaj, so if you managed to sit in silence whilst in the Darbar (main hall where Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is present) then you have already surpassed some of those forgetful Sikhs who keep on talking in Guru Ji's Darbar!

:waheguru: Ji Ka Khasa,

:waheguru: Ji Ki Fateh

I had been there last week.

I felt great. And since i entered the Gurdwara building, i knew what to do. I bow down and then i sit in silence. but i was alone there. so i sit and meditate and talked to god.

i sat a while and i felt good.

Thanks your all encourangments. Now i wanna go often to Gurdwara.