HELP

sskhalsa

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sangat Ji, I have an urgent request of help from you. One of my friends, who keeps his kesh, has told me that he will follow his father's footsteps and trim his dhari in a few years! My friend is not much into sikhi, however he has kept his kesh his entire life, please tell me how i should try and persuade him onto the correct path!

So far, all i have done is been anti-social with him, which i know is not right! However, i wish only to confront him when I know that i can persuade him with valid arguements. He is one of the few non monays left in my local area(SOUTH jersey sucks<_<)....I am a moorakh, please help!

Gurfateh

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veerji,

If he wants to cut his hair, he will more than likely go ahead and do it. I am talking from my personal experience, if he has no love for one of the biggest fundamentals of Sikhi (kesh) then he's not really worth focusing your time on. Keep focusing on your Sikhi. Maybe your Sikhi will one day be his influence. At the moment he looks up to his father, who cut's his hair.

Basically alot of Pugwalla who trim their dharis still classify themselves as Keshdaris and even Singhs. Be honest with him, the day he cut's his dhari he automatically sends a letter of seperation to Guru Gobind Singh Ji, just as the 40 Mukti did. Don't anti-social with him, it doesn't work, I've tried it with people. Always talk to him with love.

At the end of the day he might be one of the non-monay left in your area, but don't forget it's quality we want not quantity. Rather see 1 GurSikh to 100 Trimmed Pugwalla/monay.

Keep focusing on your Sikhi and stay in Chardi Kala.

This is a trend that is common in our society. We may have some on this forum who do this, and first off i would like to apologize if i say anythign wrong and if it hurt you.

The way i see it is, if you trim, but still keep your turban, there is no difference between you and a person who shaves his head and beard. (According to a Baba ji we are really close from Nanaksar)

It is a really huge trend and its really breaking Sikhi overall !! I would like only to tell you that take it easy with your friend. Do not force him that he shouldnt but explain to him using background to sikhi. But i know many who are ignorant to the fact that they dont wanna hear from history .. its like 'ya ya', in through one ear and out the other.

If this is the case, tell him, straight out, if he wants to trim, why dont you cut it all off, at least when gorai and kalai ask us, why do some sikhs trim their beard, so we wont have to answer that. :D

Ya i dont know if i made sense or not, but its i know hard to argue or tell them wats right. But nothing is impossible, if all else fails...

..... do ardas for him :wub:

If this is the case, tell him, straight out, if he wants to trim, why dont you cut it all off, at least when gorai and kalai ask us, why do some sikhs trim their beard, so we wont have to answer that. 

Very strong point! :wub:

How is that a strong point?

Come on, guys, if he trims let him trim....he has more potential to grow out his dhari later in his life than just grow everything out.

You never know, maybe some day, Sikhi gets attacked again, and he ties his pugh everyday, and goes and researches sikhi and learns about it and grows his dhari.

You never know, maybe some day he gets made fun of, or ridiculed in public for his pugh, and then he goes home and researches it, and then finds out the true path in sikhi.

All you can do is, support him.

PLEASE don't tell him to cut it all, that is by far the WORST thing you can do for someone.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

please dnt tell him to cut it all of cos if u do and he actually does go and do it - wt r u gna feel lik then??

i think that u should TRY and persuade him to keep his beard, dnt just giv up on him especially if he is a mate. whether he listens or nt..well that nt ur fault da best u can do is try...even if he does cut it then he mite grow it later on ....who no's god ways- remember everything vahguru does is for the good

y dnt u educate him on the importance of kesh, tell him or show him how many ppl gave shaheed jus so that he could keep his kesh and now he is going to cut it all of just lik that.

i hope that helps

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!! :e:

Guest mehtab
bhai sahib, put yourself in this guys shoes. if i told you, keep your beard, woudl you? yet you had your intentions of trimming that long beard of yours? let him trim,

now look at me. i am a moona (do i still send gasps when i say that?), i had people saying to me "no turban, no crown, no singh!"

first i dont want a turban, i dont feel like it. and whether or not you call me a singh (and i think i am not singh) is up to you.

now take others from this site. one person even got me thinking. saying id be a good radhaswami (i was very close to saying "thank you, i am good at something". but come on, if i was radhaswami, would i be on a site that is against all sorts of cults, come on, how many posts have i written insulting SGGS? even if there was one, and god forbid if i do. and if i ever write an insult about maharaj, may maharaj cut these hands off. and admin would boot me out!) of course the radhaswami part did want me to be a singh, but those thoughts quickly went.

ok i just told you my life story (lol)

point is, after all that, am i singh? no! do i want to be a singh yet? no i dont. do i still want to be a singh after many singhs said "we wont talk to you, your a moona" (they were sikhnet.com weirdos)

point is, this guy has made a stand, he doesnt want to be kesdhari, he may be one day. but when the time is right.

My friend is not much into sikhi

if he is not into sikhi, whats the point of his kesh? i take it he eats meat etc.

So far, all i have done is been anti-social with him, which i know is not right! However, i wish only to confront him when I know that i can persuade him with valid arguements.
put it this way, no-one wants to be something they dont want to be, i dont want to be a singh (yet), and he doesnt want to grow his beard, in fact he wants to trim it. up to him. you concentrate on your paath. let him do whatever.
Basically alot of Pugwalla who trim their dharis still classify themselves as Keshdaris and even Singhs.

how can they be known as singhs? or kesdhari? its like getting a lion, shaving his hair around the edge of its face (whats that called?), would that lion still be classifed as a lion?

bhol chukke muaff

Dude, you gotta stop pulling your case in every situation <_<

now look at me. i am a moona (do i still send gasps when i say that?), i had people saying to me "no turban, no crown, no singh!"They didn't mean it as a taunt I am sure. These things are said to encourage a Sikh to adopt the appearance given by Guru Sahib. He made us into kings, why wouldn't you want it? I know you say you are not ready, but atleast don't sound like you are blaming those who are encouraging you! :|
first i dont want a turban, i dont feel like it.
It would have been better if you had phrased your words more like "I don't feel ready to wear a turban yet". What you mean you don't want the turban? What you mean you don't feel like it? You have so much knowledge on Sikhi, more than so many people on this forum, and this is the impression you want to give? That a Sikh scholar like you doesn't hold any importance for the turban? :T:
one person even got me thinking. saying id be a good radhaswami
I very well know the Singh who said that to you, and trust me, he also said it to help you on your spiritual quest. Its not only sad

but unfortunate that you keep beating the drums all the time about him saying that to you without realizing it wasn't meant to taunt you but only encourage you. blush.gif

ok i just told you my life story (lol)
Write a book on it then, as you have been suggesting others. :wub:
am i singh? no! do i want to be a singh yet? no i dont.
I don't know what harm is gonna come if you atleast accept the fact that kesh is important for a Sikh. Not asking you to start keeping them yet, but atleast admit, atleast sound as if you are admitting that its important. Dude, neither you nor me are comparable to Bhai Rama Singh Jee who had Gurujee's darshan while he was a mona+cleanshaven. So stop thinking that you will have darshan while you are a mona. BhaiSahib's case was way totally different from any of us (unless I am totally wrong and you are an avtar Gurmukh straight from Akal Purkh's dargah). Stop comparing yourself to him. Tomorrow if some RSS goons start pelting a Gurdwara with stones, wouldn't I make a fool of myself if I go there with sticks to fight them keeping in mind "oh I am gonna be like Baba Deep Singh or Sant Jarnail Singh Jee Kh

alsa Bhindranwale". shhh.gif

many singhs said "we wont talk to you, your a moona" (they were sikhnet.com weirdos)
Gurujee bless them with brains. pray.gif
if he is not into sikhi, whats the point of his kesh?
Again, stop comparing others to yourself. Atleast he has a bit of Sikhi saroop and Guru willing there will be kirpa on him in future. There is ALWAYS a point in kesh! Admit it! :yehyehyeh:
i take it he eats meat etc.
presumptions now? What if he doesn't? :T:

Seriously dude, all that knowledge that you have on Sikhi, you probably put many Amritdharis to shame, coz maybe even most of them don't have that much gyaan. A

nd then when you start with all this bs "I don't want to keep kesh...I don't want to be a Singh", and then put that "YET" in brackets, what are you trying to suggest? :T:

Now coming back to topic, I'd say encourage him to be in fully Sikhi saroop rather than a partial one. I don't have anything else to say. Maybe the gyanis on here know better.

If this is the case, tell him, straight out, if he wants to trim, why dont you cut it all off, at least when gorai and kalai ask us, why do some sikhs trim their beard, so we wont have to answer that. 

Very strong point! :wub:

How is that a strong point?

Come on, guys, if he trims let him trim....he has more potential to grow out his dhari later in his life than just grow everything out.

You never know, maybe some day, Sikhi gets attacked again, and he ties his pugh everyday, and goes and researches sikhi and learns about it and grows his dhari.

You never know, maybe some day he gets made fun of, or ridiculed in public for his pugh, and then he goes home and researches it, and then finds ou

t the true path in sikhi.

All you can do is, support him.

PLEASE don't tell him to cut it all, that is by far the WORST thing you can do for someone.

Its better to see a non-turbaned sikh eating meat, drinking, and smoking watever than to see a trimmed singh do dat stuff... wat about that ?

This is the main problem as of today that many are seeing us, INCLUDING INDIA, that singhs, with hair, trimmed or not, are drinking like crazy and eating meat. I dont know how this singh is but what if he adopts these habits.

Guest mehtab
Its better to see a non-turbaned sikh eating meat, drinking, and smoking watever than to see a trimmed singh do dat stuff... wat about that ?

This is the main problem as of today that many are seeing us, INCLUDING INDIA, that singhs, with hair, trimmed or not, are drinking like crazy and eating meat. I dont know how this singh is but what if he adopts these habits.

Veer, what if he doesn't do that stuff? Since we don't know him lets not start judging already. However if he does, then you do have a point that we don't need "Sikhs by appearance" give out a wrong impression/message.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I think you probably might be getting this guy wrong. I think he's trying to say that if you are a singh and you look down on monays, he doesn't want to be like that and he'd rather not be called a singh if he grew his hair and did that. Anyways i may be wrong but its just what i got from that post. And another thing, I am nothing but I personally feel that if someone in full saroop drink,smoke and eat meat thats so wrong. It's not giving sikhi and gursikhs a proper image. When I start growing my kesh People were like I didn't know you were a sikh and you guys drink a lot and you guys know to party....it seems like no one is known for the good its just the bad things that counts ....I'm no way perfect either cuz recently I did trim my beard but I feeel so messed up after I did it....even though it was because of soo many pressures and stuff its not something i would do again........anyways thats my 2 cents

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!