Excessive Facial Hair On Females..

A Sikh sister's journey of keeping Kesh...

January 26, 2012 by Manvir Singh Source: manvirsingh.blogspot.com

self_worth.jpgIn today's world keeping Kesh (hair) has become an issue for some men and women. However, our sisters struggle the hardest to maintain Sikhi saroop in this western society whilst dealing with the images bombarded by the media all around us of what an ideal woman should look like. No longer is it seen natural to have hair on your arms and legs. I have even heard non-Sikh young men saying it is disgusting to see men have hair on their chest and arms, which I found shocking. People are becoming more and more insecure of themselves, moving away from natural beauty and inner grace to conforming to peer pressure, fashion fads and idolising celebrities. For this reason it is an honour to see young men and women keep their Kesh, shine in the glory of Guru Gobind Singh jee and lead the world rather than follow the world.

Bhenji Navrup Kaur jee from UK, a dedicated sevadaar who promotes Sikhi in local Gurmat classes and camps wrote an article about her personal story of keeping Kesh and dealing with excessive facial hair (which is a taboo subject). She has also held workshops on the issue of bibiaa and kesh. This post was originally posted on www.SikhAnswers.com on a question about some women having excessive facial hair and how to cope etc. I know it is a sensitive issue, however I think the Sangat will find it inspiring, Singhs and Singhniaa will appreciate the challenges our sisters face and also encourage sisters to find support from fellow sisters. Bhenji Navrup Kaur has given permission to re-post on this blog:

STORY OF BHENJI NAVRUP KAUR JEE

19574_1324464438500_1437543743_1868108_6253067_n%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!

All my life I was told that it was wrong to cut the kesh on my head but the kesh on my body – underarms, eyebrows, upper lip etc was okay in Sikhi. I was SO paranoid of my kesh that I wasted thousands of pounds on hair removal… for what? To be free. Thing is, I would get some sort of expensive AND painful (I might add) hair removal treatment done and would have this temporary feeling of beauty because one week later I would start to see the kesh growing back.

I would hate myself and think, why can’t I look like the women on TV. Then I heard of the miracle treatment called Lazer hair removal. I was told that the kesh would NEVER return… how amazing is this. So I went for a consultation in Central London. I was told the kesh would never come back if I come for a minimum of 6 treatments over 5 months. This would cost me about £600. So I did it, and it was shocking that the kesh came back… I was so disheartened but continued with the hope that one day the treatment may work. Others that went with me for treatments (with not even close to the amount of kesh I had) also found that the kesh kept returning. After finishing university I really wanted to get into the film industry and as a freelancer was not able to afford the treatments so I was waxing and shaving my face instead. Vaheguru :(

In 2007 I went to India. There my life changed and I made a commitment to walk the path of Sikhi. I stopped meat, cigarettes, sharaab that very day but kesh… it was too big a step to take. I tried to grow the kesh on my face but it would hurt me to look in the mirror, plus friends and family would harass me. I tried to be clever and bleach but a Gursikh (male) said to me, don't do that – it looks worse. I got electrolysis done and that was really expensive but I felt it was working… surprise surprise until the kesh came back.

One day at a Gurmat camp, the question of kesh came up and a male gursikh said, "have you ever thought to yourself, that if it keeps growing that its meant to be there?" Vaheguru it was so logically, what was I doing… Guru wanted me to look this way. After that I let go and accepted myself. Months later, Guru blessed me with His Amrit. It was at this point that I visited the doctor who said,"I think you have PCOS and I want to cure this naturally".

So I was exercising 3 times a week, eating lots of fruit and veg and was cutting out crisps, chocolates, cakes etc… within the space of 4 months, I went from a size 16 to size 12. My monthly cycle was somewhat normal. And the kesh miraculously had thinned out so much that a fellow Gursikh questioned if I had done something to my kesh. LOL!

After I had my baby, my PCOS spiked again and the kesh is back but this time, I am on Metformin and regularly visit my doctor to keep any eye on the condition – this method to is working.

I worked for 7 years in the film industry. I sat across the table from movie stars and high level executives and they respect you more – because you have the ability to do what they cannot… be you. Be natural. Not be a slave to the outside worlds expectations of what is beautiful.

The important thing to know is that the kesh is apart of who you are once you accept that, then and only then will you feel content within your own skin - then everything will become easier. The hair removal adverts on TV use language to enslave you, such as "Free yourself", "Discover your true self"... I think to myself, they do not even know me. I am free... Why? Because Vaheguru knows me... and He knows 'I'm Worth it!' (((:-)

TIP: Regularly remind yourself of Great GurSikhs who obtained Shaheedi for Kesh... Read and watch the films. Talk about it over and over with Sangat. This will help to empower you! Also, if you are trying to keep kesh on a part of your body and you fall, just keep trying... Never give up giving up!

http://www.sikhnet.com/news/sikh-sisters-journey-keeping-kesh

As a Sikh male, I've always felt that it is much harder to be a Sikh Bibi then a Sikh man, for the simple fact that Bibiyan must keep their leg hair, etc., in a society that deeply looks down on it, and for which people will give you soo much more crap then a turban. The Singhnis who don't cut any of their kesh, I have so much respect for them

As a Sikh male, I've always felt that it is much harder to be a Sikh Bibi then a Sikh man, for the simple fact that Bibiyan must keep their leg hair, etc., in a society that deeply looks down on it, and for which people will give you soo much more crap then a turban. The Singhnis who don't cut any of their kesh, I have so much respect for them

yes i agree..we singhs have got it easy compared to the kaurs of our panth...much respect to the bibiya who stay in full rehat!

Sorry for my ignorance but is it commanded in Guru Granth Sahib that hairs should not be cut? Or Sikhs have other books too from where they derive their law? Also , is there any website on the net where I can go and read Guru Granth Sahib (The holy scripture of Sikh religion) ?

Thanks.

Sorry for my ignorance but is it commanded in Guru Granth Sahib that hairs should not be cut? Or Sikhs have other books too from where they derive their law?

Yes, we do have Rehat Maryada (Sikh Code of Conduct) which can be read here: [ http://sgpc.net/sikh...arma-manual.asp ]

To read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji: http://www.srigranth.org

I've got a feeling I'm going to receive a lot of abuse for this but it must be said. For a woman to have a full dharie is not normal or healthy and I'm not talking about a few hairs under your chin or on your upper lip. If any woman does have a full dharie, I would urge you to see a doctor asap as it could be polycystic ovaries syndrome which effects 1 out of 10 women especially Indian women. If it it not treated it can affect your chances of being able to conceive children later on in life. To all other Singhnia, stay strong :D

That is all.

I've got a feeling I'm going to receive a lot of abuse for this but it must be said. For a woman to have a full dharie is not normal or healthy and I'm not talking about a few hairs under your chin or on your upper lip. If any woman does have a full dharie, I would urge you to see a doctor asap as it could be polycystic ovaries syndrome which effects 1 out of 10 women especially Indian women. If it it not treated it can affect your chances of being able to conceive children later on in life. To all other Singhnia, stay strong :D

That is all.

yes i agree excessive facial hair can be a result of a medical condition...in my opinion seeking medication for such cases is not anti gurmat...

yes i agree excessive facial hair can be a result of a medical condition...in my opinion seeking medication for such cases is not anti gurmat...

That is all.

i don't know why people say that, i assume from a lack of knowledge! just because it's a medical condition doesn't mean it can be treated. with polycstic ovary syndrome the hair will be there whether you take hormone regulating measures like the pill, it won't go with medication- it can only be treated externally by removal. please learn about this first..