Which Color Dumala Can I Wear

mirror

I've read this as well. It was forbidden more for practical reasons than spiritual (don't cite/quote me on this). Red signified the army of the hindus and green the Mughals.

The part i quoted you also tells us that other colours apart from the the four Khalsa one's bring vices into a person. So from the Gurmukhs prespective it's not just worldly reasons.

The colour black, which some Sikhs seems to have a hatred for ( :blink2: ) was introduced into Gurmat in the Early 1900's in the Babbar Akali movement, where our forefathers sacrificed their all for us to live today. They wore this colour as a sign of protest and their blood and shaheedi cemented the colour back into our physche and into our lifestyles. It is an insult to their shaheediya if Sikhs today mock the colour black (which some do).

In honour of their sacrifices, the Guru Roop Khalsa Panth added a 4th colour to the Khalsa Panth to adorn...which was black, the other 3 being white, blue & kesri. The Guru Roop Khalsa Panth are just that, Guru Roop and have the authority to do so...so pls don't fall into the trap of a small minority that say black is forbidden as it is not!

I think the views here are too biased. Colour shouldn't be such an issue and I'm not exactly sure from where people are getting these views. Singh, If you're a sikh and you practise nitnem I don't think the colour of your dastar is such an issue to be even brought up. I understand "colours of khalsa" , however If you're unawre the Akali party's colour is blue. So if you wear blue so you support Akali? NO. Users might see my views as too liberal but I think views here are too right wing.

Guest RavindaSingh

I was also told black wasn't an acceptable colour and is negative for you in sikhi?

Black is associated with power, elegance, formality, death, evil, and mystery.

Black is a mysterious color associated with fear and the unknown (black holes). It usually has a negative connotation (blacklist, black humor, 'black death'). Black denotes strength and authority; it is considered to be a very formal, elegant, and prestigious color (black tie, black Mercedes). In heraldry, black is the symbol of grief.

Black gives the feeling of perspective and depth, but a black background diminishes readability. A black suit or dress can make you look thinner. When designing for a gallery of art or photography, you can use a black or gray background to make the other colors stand out. Black contrasts well with bright colors. Combined with red or orange – other very powerful colors – black gives a very aggressive color scheme.

…...........…...........…...........…...........…...........…...........

Extract from a web page a nonsikhi viewpoint

Ys., you may be true, but black is nowhere mentioned or referenced or we can say associated with our Gurus..... We have to put forward each and everything in life in Hukm with Akaal Purkh (mukkh rakhde hoae).

You all must have observed sky just minutes before sunrise..... see the colors of nature..... same Yellow-Blue-White (Chaanan)

At the moment I don't remember the book/material/reference; but white color Nishan Sahib (flag) with Ik Oan Kaar was introduced by Satguru Angad Sahibji & was hoisted up til Satguru Hargobind Sahibji which he later on changed to Yellow (mustard flower color) representing shaheedi (martyrdom), during donning of Miri-Piri Kirpans.

Pbhul chuk maaf