Sikhs On Dates.

13Mirch

Ji I have a question for you all my school is having a ball in four weeks time and in a few days time I am going to be an amritdhari. I want to live 100% in Rehat Maryada and the ball will be alcohol-free. Can I go and are there any restrictions along with that?

Singh,

Go to the ball have a dance and a good time enjoy yourself.

As long as you are strong enough to not be tempted by alchohol etc(people will smuggle it in)

If you are taking amrit in a few days then definitely do not go to the ball. I have no idea of how a Gursikh can "have a dance and a good time enjoy yourself."

A Gursikh does not derive pleasure from dancing, looking at the opposite sex or intoxicants. A Gursikh should live a spirtual life and derive pleasure from Gurbani paath, kirtan and Naam, once you chakk amrit you will finally be able to japp naam, the highest action and most rewarding.

The more paath and kirtan you engage in before amrit sanchar the more rewarding it will be.

Remember you have to look at things from a Gurmat perspective and not a worldy (manmukh) perspective.

May Guru Sahib bless you with amrit and chardi kala!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh!

yes indeed osingh is correct for he shall decide who is a gursikh and who is a manmukh?

He has not idea because he lives in a sheltered world but no doubt he gives all his money away for what are materialistic possessions to him? e no doubts pends al his time in a cave away from people just reciting bani for if not he is surely wasting his life? i hope he is not married because he must be overcome by lust?

The world is never as black and white as the above poster would have you believe.

You obviously want to go so go experience it if its not for you dont go again simples

Ask youself, would Baba Deep Singh Jee go to the ball, would Sant Bhindranwalay go to the ball? The answer is do what they would do.

BTW, I can't imagine them going to the ball. As OSingh said, when taking Amrit, do as much Paath and Simran as you can. It will be rewarding when taking amrit. Bhei Prapat Manukh Dehuria, Gobind Milan ki eh teri baria. A Sikh should live everyday like it is his last day. Every breath is important. Don't waste it away on Manmat.

I think if you want the correct Gurmat answer then think about our Guru Sahibs, think about Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee. They have blessed us with this Sikhi Saroop and by donning these we are like representatives/ ambassadors for Sikhi and we should try to act as such.

If you could see Guru Jee going to such an event/place then you should also be fine to go. If you could not see Guru Jee going to such an event/place, then don't go.

The mere fact you are asking, shows you think inside already that it is not right to go.

In my personal view....Sikhs should date but know the protocals and boundaries so there is no stepping over the lines. Dating should be only with fellow sikhs, and should be like a friendship with a view to getting to know the person with intention of marrying them.

That would be the acceptable form of dating within a sikh context.

Ji I have a question for you all my school is having a ball in four weeks time and in a few days time I am going to be an amritdhari. I want to live 100% in Rehat Maryada and the ball will be alcohol-free. Can I go and are there any restrictions along with that?

In this very short video you will find your answer.