Why term "Genocide" should be our top priority ?

S1ngh

I think the world 'genocide' is less of an issue here. The real issue, which should be the focus of our attention, is the use of the word 'riot'. Its great that we're making strides in Canberra, Rome and London etc in that regard but the fact that Washington is not on that list is testament to our collective un-advancement. The fact that Washington is the one that matters is all too real but how stupid are we to not realise how America, whether Republican or Democrat, bases everything on the events of 300 years ago and how those events define not only American policy but what is right and what is wrong ?

We wish the Americans to be on our side and yet fail to take advantage of the fact that Americans would be naturally on our side.

The use of the word 'riot', when massacre or genocide would be more appropriate, is at the heart of the nation of America. It is something the American people would understand and identify with. Its up to us to show them the analogy.

The city of Boston in 1770. What happened in Boston in 1770 was very important to the American independence movement. However, how the different sides reacted to what happened in Boston in 1770 defines why America even exists today.

Colonists (americans) were massacred by the British on the streets of Boston. The country that ruled (Britain) , and had kings , queens and the international community on its side, called the massacre a 'riot'. Killings of colonists were commonplace. But this was the first time the colonists (Americans) realised that the country that ruled over them placed such a low value on their lives that even obscene massacres could be downgraded as 'riots'. This simple issue of semantics was the catalyst for the American independence movement.

So you see, if we could only articulate properly, the entire American nation - black, white, asian, hispanic, etc - is not only on our side they will bat for our team.

Forget London....forget Rome....forget Canbera....forget Ottowa. Think Washington on this one. Don't run before you've learn't to crawl and walk. Don't go pushing the 'genocide' issue before you've properly dealt with the 'riot' bit.

After watching the films with the widows on the Sikh media this is very much our number on cause. If everyone focussed on raising the awarness of the Genocide it would help to get justice na help to the victims.

Some new points I picked up by watching the media.;

1.The masscare/genocide was much larger than reported. Maybe approaching 100,000 killed , 60,000 Sikhs girls /women abducted and raped.

2.Most Sikh organisations and Sikhs have refused to acknowledge the magnitude of the Genocide. There seems to be a mental block that their own Government could have carried out the massacre despite proof. The social media is helping to spread awarness and of course the Sikh TV/radio this should continue

3.The victims have received very little help from anybody and have been shunned by our Babas/Sants , Gurdwaras and most organisations. All these Sants/Babas, organisations should be challanged on what they are doing now, do not just talk about things which happened 300/400 years ago (although very important).

4.Major need to raise the awarness of the Genocide, this would stop some of the statements such as the Canadians make ( although some Canadian papers have mentioned the 'riots' this year).

Australia has been good at raising the awarness. USA used have a good lobby with Dr Aulakh , this needs to be started again. UK has been lobbying although the weeks after the Brar incident when organisations went silent was a blot. Canada is the area where we get most abuse, this is due to years of the Candian Sikhs not responding to allegations in an organised way.

Yes raising the Genocide and getting justice is our No1 issue.

Well to be real frank the reason why person like me who do not support any pseudo *self-made* khalistani leaders of the west is because of the lack of trust and their internal freaking wars. Never ever trust anyone who raises the voice for khalsa land with their habit of doing repetitive speeches for the past 20+ years (some few newcomers too). Whenever someone come to speak about this in my local gurdwara, i just get up and leave.. far away to support them in any form.

The only organization that i support is "Sikhs for Justice" as i see that at least they are doing something not just collecting money. They are the one who raised the issue in australia, got up against congress party as whole and now trying to get our rights in United Nations.

I would encourage all people not to entertain any pseudo khalistani leader. They use the image and hard work of Sant Jarnail Singh Bhinderanwale not to fill up their banks.

Only support those who are doing it ONLY legal way. Check up their non-profit status and always ask how transparent they are. Those days are long gone when we trust others.

Have heard one of the problems in the USA is that some prominent Sikh organisations have been told to use the work pogrom instead of genocide - something to do with the Jewish lobby. I'm afraid no one community should have a monopoly on the use of the word 'genocide'. The word is very important in a UN context.

I think the reluctance on the part of the powers-that-be to take what happened to SIkhs during those times seriously - and accordingly term it as 'genocide' - is because some of them consider the agitation (there's nothing wrong with the use of the word 'agitation' because Sant Ji DID agitate the Indian government with his words) instigated by Sant Jarnail Singh to be the precursor to the events where the pogroms against Sikhs were carried out.

It seems the assumption is this: Sikhs supported Sant Jarnail Singh, India had to take action against rogue elements within its own borders and was therefore justified in any action it took against those who supported Sant Jarnail Singh. The notion that certain sections of the Hindu public took it upon themselves to kill Sikhs is seen as an unfortunate accident due to an unsophisticated, backwards society unable to contain its frustrations, and therefore the blame cannot be placed on the Indian gov't.

I think what needs to be done so that the term genocide can be used in the context of what happened in the 80s, is to show the Indian gov't was culpable of pulling the strings which led to so many Sikhs being exterminated.

The Indian government lets itself off the hook by using the term 'mobs' to describe those who destroyed Sikh lives, as if those who raped, pillaged and murdered had just spilled out of a football stadium and were letting off some steam. Their use of language to describe what happened back then constantly neuters - and is a total contrast to - the stark reality of what actually happened.

What those Sikhs who have the power to bring these issues to the fore need to do is to play a similar game, but use the correct brand of language to bring the realities of those events kicking and screaming into public awareness. Like I said before in another thread, play the enemies game but be one step ahead of them.